• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Helmets On Military Installations

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Each post makes agreements with local LEO. That is not an issue . However without one the my statement stands and that is on any Military post.
I know what I am talking about in this case. . Where LE find them self in trouble is like the two I know of personally. they came to a post to attend a training class. There was no agreement with their department. The weapons were found and they were arrested. Their claim that being LEO allowed them to have them was denied. After 24 hours the post command ordered their release. He felt they got the message.
Most post offer two options on traffic violation on shared roads depending on who stops you.
Using private security or local LE is an agreement used to fill a social program where military bases hire a percentage of locals. It also fill the gap for a shortage of troops.
Having an agreement does not remove the regulation . It allows exception .
try riding on a post in a state that does not require a helmet see how far state law gets you.
Exactly and that is my issue. I'd have to have two helmets in my Elio in case my wife wanted to go on base at which point, there wouldn't be much storage space for anything else and would negate the need.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Each post makes agreements with local LEO.

I think you're missing the point. I'm not talking about local LEOs trying to treat the base as "their" jurisdiction or anything. I'm saying that the local base *doesn't have MPs.* At all. None. Nil. Zip. Now, it *does* have it's own police department, but that police department is sanctioned at the state level just like any other city police department (although that seems to come and go as they do/don't meet training requirements or not). As such, they are obligated to uphold state law.

Is this an unusual situation? Oh, you betcha. But that's my larger point.... There are no absolutes.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And still... the Air Force requires I wear a helmet ANY time I ride my motorcycle. Will they do the same in my Elio? As it stands right now, yes.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Should the ELIO ever be built and the helmets becomes an issue on post there are ways to deal with it. Your chances of a fair look at the issue and getting it resolved are much better in the military.
The reason for helmet enforcement on post is simple proven safety. You would have a good case with the ELIO being enclosed and having air bags.
It would not be like getting some clowns in the State to do something about it.

Top Bottom