• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Gateway Conference In San Francisco

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Without power-assisted steering, wouldn't the steering wheel have to complete more revolutions to perform a lock-to-lock direction reversal?
Not really; remember the Elio only weighs 1,250lbs so you're dealing with a really light weight vehicle.
Thinking about it 1.5 (or 3/4 of a turn from center to one side full lock) actually would be realistic.
Plus, EKH, didn't they say turning radius was 19' at full lock; that's not a very tight turn for something that small.

I know, rear steer ! that would make it able to do a U-turn in a 2 car garage :thumb:

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not really; remember the Elio only weighs 1,250lbs so you're dealing with a really light weight vehicle.
Thinking about it 1.5 (or 3/4 of a turn from center to one side full lock) actually would be realistic.
Plus, EKH, didn't they say turning radius was 19' at full lock; that's not a very tight turn for something that small.

I know, rear steer ! that would make it able to do a U-turn in a 2 car garage :thumb:

True... but that would make it trickier to handle at 80mph :p

Rear steer is probably one of the most amazing things to come to large vehicles on the road. I can fly down the freeway with my Silverado Quadrasteer and drift back and forth between the lanes with little effort, or make that tight turn into a parking spot. Coss is correct, at lower speeds, the rear wheel turns in the opposite direction of the front wheels. At higher speeds (~30 mph) the rear wheels will turn in the same direction as the front wheels.

Absolutely love my truck that can maneuver more like a civic! :becky:

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I see, I am reminded that anyone can land a tail-dragger who can steer with the rear wheel at 50 mph while guiding with their feet.:D I don't think I want a rear wheel steering component in the Elio.:rolleyes: I guess it is just fun speculation about other cars.;)

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They are from "out of town" so, ? But with the web, they should be able to click and paste in a more orderly fashion with newer content.
Address: Al-Mashroot Akhbar Company, 75 Al Iskan Street, P.O. Box 5230, Post Code 115, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Top Bottom