• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Fiberglass?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A composite is solid strands in a liquid that hardens. This makes reinforced concrete a composite. It always seems strange to think of reinforced concrete this way, but it is.

Fiberglass are thin glass strands. Will these strands be inside a liquid epoxy mixture that hardens, or, will these strands inside a plastic that cools from liquid to solid?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A composite is solid strands in a liquid that hardens. This makes reinforced concrete a composite. It always seems strange to think of reinforced concrete this way, but it is.

Fiberglass are thin glass strands. Will these strands be inside a liquid epoxy mixture that hardens, or, will these strands inside a plastic that cools from liquid to solid?

Can't say for sure because all we use is epoxy. Epoxy is relatively expensive compare to polyester or vinylester resins. All our prepregs have a shelf life and have to remain refrigerated or they'll start slowly curing...you'll have a VERY expensive CF log in a week or so. Once everything is in the mold the way you want it, vacuum it down, throw it in the autoclave, and gradually turn up the heat. No way Elio is going to use this process, but I'll bet they have some rough sized prepreg (previously impregnated with resin) sheets that they can pull out of a cooler/refrigerator, toss onto a mold (one piece? two piece? I don't know), and heat cure the part relatively quickly with great repeatability...may even be automated to ensure a consistent quality/quantity.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't say for sure because all we use is epoxy. Epoxy is relatively expensive compare to polyester or vinylester resins. All our prepregs have a shelf life and have to remain refrigerated or they'll start slowly curing...you'll have a VERY expensive CF log in a week or so. Once everything is in the mold the way you want it, vacuum it down, throw it in the autoclave, and gradually turn up the heat. No way Elio is going to use this process, but I'll bet they have some rough sized prepreg (previously impregnated with resin) sheets that they can pull out of a cooler/refrigerator, toss onto a mold (one piece? two piece? I don't know), and heat cure the part relatively quickly with great repeatability...may even be automated to ensure a consistent quality/quantity.
Sounds reasonable; my hope is that they do a series of video's showing the entire build process.
Having it on a show like "How do they do it? Supercars" or ""Dream Builds" would be great; but just having it on line accessible by anyone at any time would be great. I want to see and know how they build the bodies, I want to see them building frames, and then watching it all come together down the assembly line would be fantastic.

HonestTex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable; my hope is that they do a series of video's showing the entire build process.
Having it on a show like "How do they do it? Supercars" or ""Dream Builds" would be great; but just having it on line accessible by anyone at any time would be great. I want to see and know how they build the bodies, I want to see them building frames, and then watching it all come together down the assembly line would be fantastic.
I'll try to remember to ask Jerome if anything like that is planned or in the works.

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom