• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Factory Pickup, Retail Store Pickup, Or Delivery

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you can but a corvette, you can pay the freight.
I just became "all in" today (Nov 20, 2014) and was told production to start apprx last quarter of 2015 @ 250 cars per day. Did not get my # yet but was told apprx 13,000 ahead of me. That is about 60 days. Everything still "on track". Only real concern is checking tire pressure will require removing fender.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Paul gets his way, those with factory pickup we will have those charges waived. Sales and marketing however sees it differently, and even though you pick up your Elio at the factory, delivery charges will apply. It is being delivered to you at the factory.

That's a play on words...if it doesn't go on a truck, then it isn't being delivered...if you are picking it up at the factory there should be no delivery charge...a delivery charge is supposed to cover the cost of shipping via truck or rail, that cost doesn't exist if you pick it up at the factory...

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's a play on words...if it doesn't go on a truck, then it isn't being delivered...if you are picking it up at the factory there should be no delivery charge...a delivery charge is supposed to cover the cost of shipping via truck or rail, that cost doesn't exist if you pick it up at the factory...
remember info being posted that all vehicles require delivery fees regardless if Seattle or the plant, something to do with averaging out costs for truckers, others more knowledgeable than myself will probably have clearer insight

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
remember info being posted that all vehicles require delivery fees regardless if Seattle or the plant, something to do with averaging out costs for truckers, others more knowledgeable than myself will probably have clearer insight
I believe it is an industry standard but the difference for us is the Elio is a motorcycle. This may mean, as Paul Elio obviously hopes, they can thumb their nose at that standard as they are at other industry standards (dealerships). :-) Z

genebee

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is for the auto manufactures agreement. Elio will have to figure out how they will ship....... Similar to Motorcycles?

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Let's get the bad news out of the way first: That destination charge listed on every new car's window sticker is something you'll have to pay. According to U.S. law, car delivery -- transporting the vehicle from port or assembly plant to dealer showroom -- is always listed as a separate line item on a new-car window sticker. Automakers may use different names to describe it, but it always works the same way, with buyers covering the cost.

Freight, delivery or destination charges ensure that the buyer pays equally to cover the cost of delivering a vehicle to a dealership, regardless of whether the dealership is nearby or far away from the vehicle assembly plant. For example, a Kia Optima buyer in Seattle is not required to pay more for the vehicle than a buyer in Atlanta, who's thousands of miles closer to the West Point, Ga. plant where the Optima is built.

Instead, Kia passes the cost on to buyers with a delivery charge of $800, regardless of where the seller is located. The fee is not included in the MSRP. Instead, it's typically listed as one of the last items on the window sticker, right above the total price."

http://www.autotrader.com/research/...delivery-or-destination-charges-explained.jsp

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have seen some of this info from other sources but not all. As most of you I am researching for any tidbits.

The above content is standard, except potentially cruise control. The drive train has the “smarts” to include cruise control; but ultimately it comes down to the buttons and if we can squeeze them in at the targeted price. There will be a significant amount of additional content available to the consumer at the point of sale. Elio Motors will build the vehicle two ways – standard and automatic. The vehicles will get shipped from our factory to one of seven planned marshaling centers. When a customer comes in and wants a power leather seat or blind spot detecting mirrors, that order will go to the appropriate marshaling center and will be added to the vehicle. We will close our retail centers at 9 p.m., and we will build vehicles until midnight, giving us three hours to “clear the system.” The vehicles will be placed on trucks, and with seven marshaling centers, we will be roughly nine hours away from our retail locations. So theoretically by the next day, the customer will pick up the vehicle they ordered — exactly the way they wanted it. This is part of the reason we can sell the vehicle for $6,800.

I do not remember anything about marshaling centers being posted but they make sense, if we can now find where they will be at least that should get completed vehicle closer to us. http://gas2.org/2014/07/04/elio-
motors-qa-w-paul-elio-part/

Top Bottom