• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust System

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My guess is, the muffler will be located on the car, somewhere between the tail pipe and catalytic converter, after the exhaust manifold. Just guessing here.

Since it's classified as a motorcycle I didn't think a catalytic converter was required. And elsewhere on this site I read where they confirmed the production model will have a full belly pan - therefore the muffler and pipes will have to be flush mounted.

Reactions: Ekh

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Joshua Caldwell and myself had plenty of opportunity to chat directly with VP Jerome Vassallo just yesterday at the air show in Rome Ga.

For good aerodynamics the exhaust will be tucked up under the vehicle and the muffler will be under the passengers feet very similar to the current location of the P4 muffler.

The vehicle is being designed to accommodate a belly pan however to save money the belly pan will not be standard but may be available as an option.

It may or may not be required for motorcycle however regardless we know the Elio will have a catalytic converter which can be seen in the engine animation as the cone shaped object directly attached to exhaust manifold.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Joshua Caldwell and myself had plenty of opportunity to chat directly with VP Jerome Vassallo just yesterday at the air show in Rome Ga.

For good aerodynamics the exhaust will be tucked up under the vehicle and the muffler will be under the passengers feet very similar to the current location of the P4 muffler.

The vehicle is being designed to accommodate a belly pan however to save money the belly pan will not be standard but may be available as an option.

It may or may not be required for motorcycle however regardless we know the Elio will have a catalytic converter which can be seen in the engine animation as the cone shaped object directly attached to exhaust manifold.

A belly pan an option? Now they may be stretching the limits to maintain the $6800 pricepoint even for me! If it needs the belly pan for aerodynamics, a sound absorber, a splash guard, or even to improve handling make it standard and bump the price accordingly.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A belly pan an option? Now they may be stretching the limits to maintain the $6800 pricepoint even for me! If it needs the belly pan for aerodynamics, a sound absorber, a splash guard, or even to improve handling make it standard and bump the price accordingly.
I believe when he said "option" that he meant "not standard equipment"..."to be ordered from the options list"

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe when he said "option" that he meant "not standard equipment"..."to be ordered from the options list"

At this point it just does not appear that EM feels they need to include a belly pan in the base price to achieve their goals so they are opting to save money by not including it and instead offering it as an optional accessory.

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Honda Element has a skid plate underneath the engine which requires removal to change the oil. Some places charge extra for oil changes because of that. A one piece full body belly pan would be a pain in the a$$ to remove and even worse to get it back on unless it comes off in sections. It will be interesting to see what effect it has on overall mileage versus the cost of this option. It would only effect mileage at highway speeds anyway. It would have zero effect in city driving as aerodynamic forces do not come into play at those reduced speeds. 1 to 2 mpg difference at highway speeds (maybe) and $300-$400 in cost (maybe) and I have to remove it to change the oil? Keep it. I'll use the money for upgraded radio or a sunroof. For cryin' out loud anything over 60 mpg at this price and I'm in seventh heaven anyway. Many of us are going to opt for the open fenders or drive with the windows down and sunroof open. That shoots your mileage all to hell. I'm beginning to think they're getting a bit myopic at this point to get to that magic 84 mpg number just because that's what's been advertised.

Then again maybe I'm just getting cranky and wish the Elio was already in my driveway.:D

Top Bottom