• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust System

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I HEARD THAT THE MUFFLER FELL OFF THE P-4

Fell off? More like knocked off. Apparently, it was a little low. The Production Elio will have the same ground clearance as a Mustang and the exhaust will be routed to avoid those raised asphalt areas.

when Paul and the P4 were on Fox and Friends, Brian Kilmeade drove it off and apparently drug it off on a manhole cover or some other debris in a construction zone

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fell off? More like knocked off. Apparently, it was a little low. The Production Elio will have the same ground clearance as a Mustang and the exhaust will be routed to avoid those raised asphalt areas.
Where would the exhaust pipe be placed if it goes to the back of the vehicle? The floor where the feet are placed will be made of composite material and placed on top of the floor cross members. A composite panel is considered for placement below the cross members to reduce drag and improve MPG. If both panels are present, where would the exhaust pipe to the back of the vehicle be placed?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Where would the exhaust pipe be placed if it goes to the back of the vehicle? The floor where the feet are placed will be made of composite material and placed on top of the floor cross members. A composite panel is considered for placement below the cross members to reduce drag and improve MPG. If both panels are present, where would the exhaust pipe to the back of the vehicle be placed?

The use of composite materials for vehicle floor pans and/or aerodynamic undertrays is actually fairly common as automakers have been using both for some time now to increase fuel efficiency via weight reduction and aerodynamic improvements. As a result the exhaust heat issue is both well understood and easily resolved via the use of heat shielding materials. These materials can wrap the exhaust itself and/or be attached to the underside of the floor-pan and to the parts of the aerodynamic undertray which comes close to the exhaust. These have been proven to effectively dissipate heat enough to protect composite materials from damage.

So to answer your question the Elio exhaust will run under the vehicle along the right side frame rail. While you can't see that portion of the exhaust on the image below you can see the green exhaust running to and from the the right side at the front and back of the vehicles.

elio suppliers.jpg

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The use of composite materials for vehicle floor pans and/or aerodynamic undertrays is actually fairly common as automakers have been using both for some time now to increase fuel efficiency via weight reduction and aerodynamic improvements. As a result the exhaust heat issue is both well understood and easily resolved via the use of heat shielding materials. These materials can wrap the exhaust itself and/or be attached to the underside of the floor-pan and to the parts of the aerodynamic undertray which comes close to the exhaust. These have been proven to effectively dissipate heat enough to protect composite materials from damage.

So to answer your question the Elio exhaust will run under the vehicle along the right side frame rail. While you can't see that portion of the exhaust on the image below you can see the green exhaust running to and from the the right side at the front and back of the vehicles.

View attachment 5424
Thanks. Great picture. Where is it? I checked and it is not in Instagram. In fact, all the old pictures on Instagram are now gone.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
According to the IAV engineer they are going to shoot it out like the older Corvette exhaust which runs down the side. This is stated at 0:09 right at the first of this video.
Change to the change... We do sometimes get information from the tours that is just out of date or has been changed. I remember the video and him saying that but much after that video, they released the new CAR drawing the Goofyone references. It makes more sense to me, aerodynamics at least, to keep the exhaust out of the airflow. For cooling, maybe not. For style points, maybe not. But aero wins over style (see front fenders for an example)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
According to the IAV engineer they are going to shoot it out like the older Corvette exhaust which runs down the side. This is stated at 0:09 right at the first of this video.

Change to the change... We do sometimes get information from the tours that is just out of date or has been changed. I remember the video and him saying that but much after that video, they released the new CAR drawing the Goofyone references. It makes more sense to me, aerodynamics at least, to keep the exhaust out of the airflow. For cooling, maybe not. For style points, maybe not. But aero wins over style (see front fenders for an example)

As Ty mentions since this video was posted it has been clarified that the exhaust will run along the right side frame rail however it will not be exposed like the Corvette but instead it will be tucked tightly under the vehicle.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. Great picture. Where is it? I checked and it is not in Instagram. In fact, all the old pictures on Instagram are now gone.

The image is actually a screen capture from the Investment Opportunity Video which was released last month. It is a very nice image as it actually contains many new details including the showing the updated chassis and exterior designs we had been expecting along with listing a number of suppliers we did not know about before.

http://www.eliomotors.com/investor-inquiries/

As the forum software cuts the image size down I have a larger version linked from my Google drive. The image is a bit fuzzy however this is due to it being a screen capture from a streaming video. I have actually asked EM if I could have an original version of the image however so far have not had luck getting hold of it. :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxh8JmkBAL7wbXVPU1VLQnlfU00/

Last edited:
Top Bottom