• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Break-in

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ydsc3.jpg
Yahama "Big Bear" comes to mind- it competed w/305 Honda Super Hawk --can't remember my kid"s birthday, but this stuff......
I had a Yamaha Big Bear while in college. Saved up secretly my entire senior year and announced my intentions the night of my high school graduation.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In 05 when the Yamaha 400cc Majesty was introduced. I fell in love with it! Up until then the biggest scoot (Not Motorcycle) I owned was a 250cc. Got that one that was on the show room floor & took it for a test ride. I was impressed how quickly it went to 90mph & how easily it cruised at 80 mph. Brought it back & bought it on the spot & continued to ride it like I stole it. At 7.600 miles I gave it to my wife. Its still in the fleet today & has 25.000 trouble free miles on it.

As far as engine break in......There's no right or wrong its what your comfortable with.

I agree....at 55 hp it may be hard to baby the Elio engine.
I very much enjoy my Yamaha Majesty (although the model didn't come with it). Glad to hear of the trouble free mileage, but I intend for the Elio to be its replacement.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ha, what a coincidence. I too own a yamaha majesty, an 07 with 13,000 miles.. The Elio will be replacing it also.
Mine, too, is a 2007 with a bit fewer miles.

But back to the thread subject. I rented a new Nissan Altima with a continuously variable transmission (CVT) three years ago. It hadn't even been prepped by the rental agency; it had just arrived on the truck. With the experience of the Majesty, I liked a CVT. Knowing that these transmissions keep the revs up all the time (the bike runs constantly at 4500 - 6000 rpm), I was concerned about proper break-in. I know it was "just a rental", but since they were kind enough to offer me the car, I felt I should break it in properly. The rental agent didn't know the procedure, so I spent time reading the owner's manual before departing (I had the time). There was NOTHING on the subject.

I concluded that many cars no longer require babying when new (maybe the new brake pads do, to avoid burning the high spots). So, in conclusion, I will await guidance from Elio. By the way, does anyone know what Geo specified on their Metro engine, since the Elio engine is a derivative?

"Few things are harder to put up with than a good example."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mine, too, is a 2007 with a bit fewer miles.

But back to the thread subject. I rented a new Nissan Altima with a continuously variable transmission (CVT) three years ago. It hadn't even been prepped by the rental agency; it had just arrived on the truck. With the experience of the Majesty, I liked a CVT. Knowing that these transmissions keep the revs up all the time (the bike runs constantly at 4500 - 6000 rpm), I was concerned about proper break-in. I know it was "just a rental", but since they were kind enough to offer me the car, I felt I should break it in properly. The rental agent didn't know the procedure, so I spent time reading the owner's manual before departing (I had the time). There was NOTHING on the subject.

I concluded that many cars no longer require babying when new (maybe the new brake pads do, to avoid burning the high spots). So, in conclusion, I will await guidance from Elio. By the way, does anyone know what Geo specified on their Metro engine, since the Elio engine is a derivative?

"Few things are harder to put up with than a good example."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

The Elio three cylinder is a derivative only to the point that it has three cylinders and is about the same size. Other than that the old Geo had steel sleeves. Big, big, big difference from the Elio "Flame Spray" lining.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn't read everything in this thread, so forgive any duplications;

This whole thing about breaking in an engine has changed overtime. A long time ago there were bare metal honed surfaces that needed careful initial break-in by the new owner. Then the manufacturers did a variety of things like coatings, superfine honing and pre-working the engine and such. For the most part they do not allow new-car owners to make the mistakes from the past they sometimes did, and will again.

On racing motorcycles and such you may still need engine break in periods, like the WF450 Yamaha my kid just got, but not cars for the general public.

If you have an engine rebuilt, yes you probably need a break in period. But a direct from factory replacement engine, maybe not. ( however, read the small print )

Last edited:

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember their Atv 4 wheelers being named Big Bear in the 80's. My sister's god parents let me work a little in their Yamaha shop washing and parking their stock. used to ride the things up the hill to the house to get checks signed or mail delivered. Got paid in Slurpees :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I remember their Atv 4 wheelers being named Big Bear in the 80's. My sister's god parents let me work a little in their Yamaha shop washing and parking their stock. used to ride the things up the hill to the house to get checks signed or mail delivered. Got paid in Slurpees :)

we still have an 80's Yamaha Big Bear .... she's been ridden many a mile over the years .. :cool:

Top Bottom