• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Break-in

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The coolant circulating past the thermostat does stabilize to a fairly narrow range of temperatures. The oil will usually run hotter. Other things, like the underside of the piston crown and the exhaust valve faces run MUCH hotter. Those temperatures are load dependent.

That's why I use Evans Waterless Coolant ! :D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Read the wizard's link!

I am now convinced this guy (Motoman) knows what he is talking about. 180° turnaround for me.
Not me... it takes very little pressure to put the rings against the bore. If there was any gap, the engine would blow oil. They don't. The rings are firmly against the cylinder walls... at all times.

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But I agree that "mollycoddling" an engine is not the best way to run it in, and I agree with the reasons given above.
My son owned a BMW 323 with the glorious straight six cylinder engine. It had just one previous owner, who was a retired doctor who had treated it with kid gloves. It burned almost as much oil as it did "gas" (petrol) and I suspect it had never been run in properly - treated too gently (as one had to do in the old days).

Something I have observed over the years,
Doctors are usually busy people and do not let themselves be bothered by the mundane details like oil changes.
Some of the worst mechanically cars I have seen are owned and driven by Dr's.
They will just buy another one if it breaks attitude.
We sometimes equate resources with well kept and that is not always true.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Give it a few minutes of "foreplay", and then drive it like you stole it. Replace the oil and filter after the first 500 miles, and replace with synthetic.

That's my usual break-in routine, and it's worked very well over the years.
DigitalDan, welcome from sunny New Mexico. Enjoy this journey with us.

Top Bottom