• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elios Mileage Range Vs Storage

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Take into account that the 84mpg is Highway speed; any time you're going to do a trip that long, you're going to run into detours, little side trips, areas where the speed limit is lower so your mileage will go down a little.
I wouldn't plan of having too much of that 1/2 tank left (if at all); I think you ought to plan on 5 tanks.

I thought about doing the trip and if I was back in my 40's, maybe even 50's I'd do it in a heart beat.
Now in the 60's the wear and tear on my on my body has started paying me back for all the abuse it was put through in the past.
I'll have mine delivered to the door. Or just to give it a break in tour, I might pick it up at the Bellevue Retail Center and take a slow 2 day trip home with multiple stops to <ahem> show off a little. :becky:

Even in my 60's, I'm planning on doing the trip.......of course by the time I get my E, I'll be living in VA. or TN...so it won't be "as" long a drive :p

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You going to tent it, or hotel?

I'm not sure. Would you count sleeping in the Elio at a highway rest stop as a "tent" or as a "hotel"? :p At least one of the nights (the last leg of the journey) we'd be able to stay with my sister's family in Boise, Idaho. I've already promised my brother-in-law a test drive :)

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure. Would you count sleeping in the Elio at a highway rest stop as a "tent" or as a "hotel"? :p At least one of the nights (the last leg of the journey) we'd be able to stay with my sister's family in Boise, Idaho. I've already promised my brother-in-law a test drive :)
Sounds like an Eliotel :p

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess the biggest difference is the front wheels, Elio widened the car's stance with separate fenders.
I bet the wider stance will really help with stability.

THE FREEWAY SHELF OVER THE FENDERS IS A BIT ODD BUT THERE ARE PLENTY
OF OTHER DIFFERENCES .

THE ELIO IS A MUCH BIGGER CAR , THE ELIO HAS NO BACK SEAT BUT DOES HAVE STORAGE .
I CAN FIT THREE BAGS OF GROCERIES ON THE FLOOR BEHIND THE DRIVER .

ELIO IS FRONT WHEEL DRIVE , THE ELIO HAS A CHAIN DRIVING THE REAR WHEEL .
ELIO HAS A THREE CYLINDER ENGINE UP FRONT , FREEWAY HAS A MID ENGINE SINGLE CYLINDER .
ELIO IS WATER COOLED , FREEWAY IS AIR COOLED
ELIO HAS AIR , CRUISE , ELECTRIC WINDOWS & AIR BAGS. THE FREEWAY NEVER HEARD OF THOSE THINGS .
ELIO HAS ANTI LOCK DISC BRAKES , FREEWAY HAS E-Z GO GOLFCART DRUMS THAT CAN LOCK DANGEROUSLY .
ELIO HAS A 5 SPEED OR AUTO TRANSMISSION , FREEWAY HAS A BELT DRIVE CVT .
ELIO HAS TWO HEADLIGHTS , FREEWAY HAS ONE ( TO HELP IT GET MOTORCYCLE CLASSIFICATION )
ELIO IS AS LONG AS MOST COMPACT CARS , THE FREEWAY IS A MICROCAR @ 700 POUNDS & 10 FEET LONG .

ELIO HAS ADDRESSED THE SHORTCOMINGS OF THE FREEWAY AND EVEN GONE WAY BEYOND .
I HAVE OFTEN WONDERED IF THE HMV HAD STAYED IN BUSINESS 35 YEARS OF PRODUCTION &
IMPROVEMENTS MIGHT HAVE GIVEN US SOMETHING LIKE THE ELIO .

View attachment 10586
Might want to make a couple edits there...

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you can't do a 3-5 day trip with a bag that fits in the trunk of the Elio, you might be a clothes-horse. ;) :D

Also, if they were to halve the size of the gas tank, it would probably cost about the same as the 8 gallon tank. The manufacturing process is the same, and the difference in materials cost would be very small. Probably past the point of diminishing returns.

If you haven't looked at the E1 (really, P6) body photos, the space you are looking for looks like it will be in two "smuggler's boxes" above the rear wheel, covered by the rear wheel shroud.
Would that be a great place for sound deadening material? Yes, I think it would be! ;)

Top Bottom