• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Survey - Tranmissions

Devilstower

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It looks like there were a group of us who were asked at $1000, some who were asked at $1200, some at $1500 and some at all three. I suspect they're trying to do two things: 1) estimate the required mix of manual and automatics in their initial run and 2) determine how price affects that decision.

They may well have more than one off-the-shelf AT to select from, but I suspect they are simply looking at the supply / demand curve to hit the maximum profit from AT upgrades. Assuming the AT costs them $800 installed, do they want to sell 10,000 with a $200 profit, or 5,000 units with a $400 profit? Probably the later. But somewhere along that curve, the number will drop enough that it doesn't make sense to go higher.

Some people may have even gotten a higher number in this survey... unless at $1500 there were few takers.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It looks like there were a group of us who were asked at $1000, some who were asked at $1200, some at $1500 and some at all three. I suspect they're trying to do two things: 1) estimate the required mix of manual and automatics in their initial run and 2) determine how price affects that decision.

They may well have more than one off-the-shelf AT to select from, but I suspect they are simply looking at the supply / demand curve to hit the maximum profit from AT upgrades. Assuming the AT costs them $800 installed, do they want to sell 10,000 with a $200 profit, or 5,000 units with a $400 profit? Probably the later. But somewhere along that curve, the number will drop enough that it doesn't make sense to go higher.

Some people may have even gotten a higher number in this survey... unless at $1500 there were few takers.
good read, makes sense

Fairlane58

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Just got the survey from Elio about the cost of transmissions. Basically they want to know if we will pony up $1,200 for an automatic. I don't know what you guy think but I'm beginning to feel that buying an Elio isn't going to be the good deal I had hoped for. :(
I got the survey as well. I chose Automatic transmission.

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I got the survey as well. I chose Automatic transmission.
At what price point did you agree to purchase the AMT in the survey?

BTW, my survey was the $1,500; $1,200; $1,000 with me opting for manual by choice. You do have the option to give your specific reason for not selecting the AMT, so if you think it too expensive, you may indicate so.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I only had one option of $1500. I assumed if I said no that it meant that I would get a manual. So I said yes, even though I really don't want to pay that much. I guess now after reading through other posts if I had said no I might have been given other prices as options? I wonder how EM will interpret the survey? Us older guys will pay more for an automatic? I don't mind paying $1000, I think that is about the going rate with other auto manufacturers..

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I only had one option of $1500. I assumed if I said no that it meant that I would get a manual. So I said yes, even though I really don't want to pay that much. I guess now after reading through other posts if I had said no I might have been given other prices as options? I wonder how EM will interpret the survey? Us older guys will pay more for an automatic? I don't mind paying $1000, I think that is about the going rate with other auto manufacturers..
I thought the same thing and read it as, "If you don't want to pay for it at $1500, we won't offer it." I want a recount!

runt2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I said no to "auto" transmission each time I was asked ($1,500, $1,200, and $1,000) even though I currently drive an automatic for my commuter. The reason I selected was that it was more than I wanted to spend. I'm buying this car because it's inexpensive to purchase and inexpensive to drive. I want to keep it that way.

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I said no to "auto" transmission each time I was asked ($1,500, $1,200, and $1,000) even though I currently drive an automatic for my commuter. The reason I selected was that it was more than I wanted to spend. I'm buying this car because it's inexpensive to purchase and inexpensive to drive. I want to keep it that way.
I was offered at $1500, $1200, $1000. Turned them all down saying I preferred manual.

Millennial Anti-Theft Device.

More like, its a budget car. Keeping it budget.

Besides, performs better...

-sterling

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see what they think an automatic tranny would do to mileage. If an automatic gets better mileage than a manual I will pay the extra money. If it does not I won't. If the numbers are the same the jury is out but I am tending towards a stick

Top Bottom