• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Survey - Tranmissions

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I only had one option of $1500. I assumed if I said no that it meant that I would get a manual. So I said yes, even though I really don't want to pay that much. I guess now after reading through other posts if I had said no I might have been given other prices as options? I wonder how EM will interpret the survey? Us older guys will pay more for an automatic? I don't mind paying $1000, I think that is about the going rate with other auto manufacturers..
Ditto for me - only choice was $1500. All the previous discussions over the past few years have mentioned $500-$800 range. I marked "Yes" only because I have no choice and a manual transmission is not an option in my family. $1500 is 22% of the cost of the Elio and is way out of line. Guess this is management's way of recouping their original discounts for those of us who went "all in". Also, I hate surveys like this one that uses the Delphi technique to achieve the answers they want rather than what the respondent really wants to say. Really disappointing that Elio would jack up the price that high.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see what they think an automatic tranny would do to mileage. If an automatic gets better mileage than a manual I will pay the extra money. If it does not I won't. If the numbers are the same the jury is out but I am tending towards a stick
Math was never my strong suite, but I think you'd have to drive "heaps" of miles to reap any benefit in savings. Mpg offset by the cost of the transmission works out to very long rides.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Math was never my strong suite, but I think you'd have to drive "heaps" of miles to reap any benefit in savings. Mpg offset by the cost of the transmission works out to very long rides.

You forgot to include the cost of a knee replacement. ;):D
As much as I liked driving a stick, I'm with you on NEEDING an automatic (stop and go traffic + 42 miles one way = 300+ clutch depressions at least)

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You forgot to include the cost of a knee replacement. ;):D
As much as I liked driving a stick, I'm with you on NEEDING an automatic (stop and go traffic + 42 miles one way = 300+ clutch depressions at least)
Hmm, interesting point:
The average hospital charge for a total knee replacement (TKR) in the United States is $49,500. A partial knee replacement (PKR) typically costs about 10 to 20 percent less than a TKR. The main reason is that the operation requires a shorter hospital stay. For example: an average of 2.3 days, compared to 3.4 days. Keep in mind that hospital charges don’t reflect the amount you pay out of pocket. Out-of-pocket costs are explained in more depth below.

You should expect multiple bills following a knee replacement surgery, including:
  • hospital bills
  • bills for all treatments you received from the surgeon while in the hospital
  • other tasks and procedures performed by the operating room staff (This includes work done by the anesthesiologist, surgical assistants, physical therapists, and others.)
Inpatient Charges
Inpatient charges are charges that occur while you’re in the hospital. Inpatient charges from the surgeon and other healthcare providers may add an average of roughly $7,500 to the basic hospital charge for the procedure. This brings the average total charges for a TKR in the United States closer to $57,000.
Source: Understanding Knee Replacement Costs: What's On the Bill?

I know this is an extreme illustration, but NSTG8R's post made me wonder just how expensive total knee replacement is.

Top Bottom