• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Kit, Would You Still Buy?

What would you pay for such a kit?

• $6,200

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • $6,800

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • $7,400

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • $8,000

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • $8,600

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $9,200

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • heck no!

Votes: 73 64.0%

• Total voters

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True to the stated Elio goal of affordability, a DIY kit could shave off more cost to the consumer and make it even more affordable. They don't look too difficult to construct for someone with average mechanical skills...and the time and interest.

Any consideration been given to offering the Elio as an unassembled kit? Maybe with and without drivetrains, interiors, gauges, radios, wheel shrouds....? ;)

Part two of this discussion is...what interest do you have in building one if it were available?

This has been touched on in the past. Building a "kit" is a much larger undertaking than most of us are "willing or able" to finish. And, in my opinion, only about 5% of those who are "willing", are actually "able." The RQ Riley XR3 is a good example. It was estimated to cost about $10K to build... and around 400 hours of labor. It's true the XR3 was not offered as a kit, so a lot of fabrication skills were also required. Around 6 years ago, the plans could be bought for $200, and I believe thousands were sold. I don't think more than 1% have been finished.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
True to the stated Elio goal of affordability, a DIY kit could shave off more cost to the consumer and make it even more affordable. They don't look too difficult to construct for someone with average mechanical skills...and the time and interest.

Any consideration been given to offering the Elio as an unassembled kit? Maybe with and without drivetrains, interiors, gauges, radios, wheel shrouds....? ;)

Part two of this discussion is...what interest do you have in building one if it were available?

Kit vehicles are actually a good bit more expensive as the market is much more limited because the vast majority of people would never even consider a kit yet there are still a good bit of development costs which must be covered, most of the economy of scale advantages are lost, and the profit per kit must be much higher to make the whole endeavor worth the effort as the volume is much lower.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The "kit" I am suggesting is a ready to assemble kit of parts. No plans, cut-outs, drilling, painting, fabricating of any sort needed, just bolt premade parts all together. I can see the Elio as a kit being shipped around the globe in a crate this way, local owners and shops could assemble them easily. It would be like bicycles shipped in a box and assembled by the local bike shop.

Perhaps some of the parts are already preassembled into modules, maybe the drivetrain is in, the wiring harness is in, the glass mounted etc, - The only purpose would be to save initial delivered cost in some way. I suspect a 1200 lb crate would cost the same to ship as a 122 rolling/driving vehicle. So the savings would be some or most of the assembly line labor, which has to be at least 20-40% the cost the of the Elio. I suspect there may be some importation fee/tax advantages to shipping "parts" rather than complete vehicles to certain destinations. Can someone knowledgeable speak to that?

I wonder how many man hours it would take for one man to assemble the Elio if available in this format? 10? 20? That's not a long time.

It would be a way to mass market the Elio, achieve worldwide distribution and either save $ to skilled owners or support local cottage industries that would buy and assemble for local customers. For many many local wrenches and hobbyists this process would not be a significant challenge.

Suggesting this as an optional product delivery method in addition to the Shreveport turnkey process, which is most likely to be the most popular method of getting an Elio.​

Last edited:

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Buying one in kit form would be an easy way for me to get an Elio on the road here in UK. But it would gave to look like the P3, not the P4. I'd be happy to fit a Suzuki G10A engine and transmission myself. Suitably tuned up a bit, of course. ;)

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Kit vehicles are actually a good bit more expensive as the market is much more limited because the vast majority of people would never even consider a kit yet there are still a good bit of development costs which must be covered, most of the economy of scale advantages are lost, and the profit per kit must be much higher to make the whole endeavor worth the effort as the volume is much lower.

Good points. To "package and ship" all of the components in boxes or crates, realistically will require more materials along with time and labor, to pack these components so they arrive undamaged. I am guessing, almost as much time and effort, as it would have taken to install these components in the ELIO! Now the "shipping issue"...the Elio can be driven (by 1 person/1 trip) to it's destination, or driven onto the transport truck. The kit?...packed in multiple crates, requiring the "space" of (at least) 2 Elios, must be moved by equipment (more than 1 person/ more than 1 trip) and forklifts, pallet jacks, cranes, etc.
So, more labor, more shipping, more packaging = higher costs for you and I.

How could "kit form" affect insurance costs?: Because there is no way for the insurance industry to verify the quality of workmanship...."Was anti-sieze used?...what about thread lock?...were ALL fasteners torqued to the proper specifications?"...Was the proper amount of adhesive used to attach the body panels?...was it mixed properly?...at the right temperature?"...Etc, etc, etc.
Cost of policies could vary wildly..."If" they would even agree to insure!

No kit for me, thank you.:)

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So much for thinking, "outsydthebox".

Agreed, the approach is not for everyone, but it does address Elio's goal of affordability, and reaches a broader market segment that may not be otherwise served. The possibilities and potential benefits are real.

Insurance does not care about antiseize or thread lock or torque settings. A simple trip to the local DMV for a VIN, brake and lighting check would certify its roadworthiness. Many vehicles on the road and in the air today are built in this way, nothing new with this approach.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This has been touched on in the past. Building a "kit" is a much larger undertaking than most of us are "willing or able" to finish. And, in my opinion, only about 5% of those who are "willing", are actually "able." The RQ Riley XR3 is a good example. It was estimated to cost about $10K to build... and around 400 hours of labor. It's true the XR3 was not offered as a kit, so a lot of fabrication skills were also required. Around 6 years ago, the plans could be bought for $200, and I believe thousands were sold. I don't think more than 1% have been finished.

:)

Top Bottom