• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Erks Me To No End

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello Forum!
I'm new to the group, but have been following Elio for the past year. I'm intrigued by the vehicle and would like to own one, but I'm hesitate to put down a deposit. If you were me, would you do an "All In" reservation now or not?
If you personally think there is any level of risk why not do a refundable deposit and get in line, do you need a number? Do whatever makes you comfortable with the information you have to date as well as assessing your personal finances.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a person who has contributed negative tinder to this thread I apologize.

I think where I have gotten it wrong is even considering this website a discussion board. It is not. This is a fansite. As such, negative thoughts that fall outside the prevailing group-think are not tolerated.

A true discussion board is not a mutual admiration society. It is a place to discuss different opinions without being attacked. There are 9-10 pages here in one day because most of the true believers here feel the need to parachute in to the rescue of this company anytime a poster isn’t putting out happy thoughts. If you are not 100 percent onboard then go away…A fansite is a place where you put up cartoons or pictures of animals or smiley faces and don’t put out opinions that will get you labelled as a Negative Nancy or a Debbie Downer. You would think I am talking to workers on the EM assembly line insteady of a bunch of mostly 50 year old men - like myself LOL.

I can assure you I don’t lose any sleep over this car deposit despite my view that it will likely never be built. I have donated to other causes just because they are good ideas and worth trying to do. This car is not an investment or anything other than a concept. I do hope there is money available besides the non-refundable deposits.

You and I only have a grand worth of skin in the game. Caddo Parish invested $7.5MM in this company based on promises that jobs were coming to an area that needs jobs. I am sure at this point they feel a fair bit of anxiety. When you go from not needing money to manufacture to needing the ATVM loan to get this done, obviously something has changed. I really hope the car gets built because it is a good idea and gas prices will go up again. And I want to support the American worker.

Message received again. Stupid me. Don’t get up. I will let myself out the door. So long.
Well written with points well taken. Sorry you don't feel welcome here, and I wish you'd hang around.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello Forum!
I'm new to the group, but have been following Elio for the past year. I'm intrigued by the vehicle and would like to own one, but I'm hesitate to put down a deposit. If you were me, would you do an "All In" reservation now or not?
Yes, I would. There is a substantial risk you may lose it, but if it works, you not only get a car during the first year of production, you get an additional credit towards the car equal to 50% of your reservation.

There are more important reasons to reserve. If you've caught on to the social purpose of Elio (to enable blue-collar workers to hold jobs distant from their homes, to increase their ability to contribute to the economy, to lower the nation's oil use by 0.3% in five years, and to reduce our carbon footprint) then you may want to support a truly terrific project. If Elio succeeds, we all do. If Elio doesn't succeed, they're out a whole lot more money than you or I would be. So I say, go ahead and make a reservation, but not for more than you can actually afford to lose.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I would. There is a substantial risk you may lose it, but if it works, you not only get a car during the first year of production, you get an additional credit towards the car equal to 50% of your reservation.

There are more important reasons to reserve. If you've caught on to the social purpose of Elio (to enable blue-collar workers to hold jobs distant from their homes, to increase their ability to contribute to the economy, to lower the nation's oil use by 0.3% in five years, and to reduce our carbon footprint) then you may want to support a truly terrific project. If Elio succeeds, we all do. If Elio doesn't succeed, they're out a whole lot more money than you or I would be. So I say, go ahead and make a reservation, but not for more than you can actually afford to lose.
Someone needs a 'stand-up-and-applaud' image!

eliothegreat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
These are all things that are happening. These are the numbers.
You say it can't mathematically happen.
What you are in effect saying is that mathematically, a car cannot be built that gets 84 MPG, costs $6800, etc. Is that what you're saying? That engineering / mathematics wise this is impossible?
I'd be careful making that broad of a statement.
It CAN be done, I'm sure...
No, what I'm saying is that paul elio has stated that he can't build it. Not now, not with that mpg at that price. He has said that he has the data to back it up.

Last edited:

eliothegreat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello Forum!
Welcome to the forum. Even more, welcome to the concept. The idea (enclosed reverse trike) is a great one. If you were me, you would not make a deposit/reservation at this time. I have no idea what I would do if I were you. I believe that you would get a better return on your deposit money in an index fund or a solid stock, and would run less risk of loss. If you really need a t-shirt, those are available from third parties.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello Forum!
dwarasim, welcome to the forum and I see many members have already responded to you. I became an Elio supporter because I liked the concept of this vehicle, that Elio offered the potential opportunity to create a new American business that competes with the major auto manufacturers, and would ultimately provide a reliable inexpensive transportation option. My reservation satisfied both my desire to hopefully own one and the knowledge that my reservation was an investment in American economic development. I knew it was, and continues to be, a risk, but to me it was an investment in our future and a risk worth taking. Only you can decide to take this risk. The experience with the members on the forum has provided hours of enjoyment, and frustration, but has introduced me to many great people with vast amounts of knowledge and experience. I consider that I have received more than $1000 in entertainment and educational value from this new experience and even if Elio does not come to fruition it was worth it to exchange comments with great people from all points around the world.

Bottom line is that knowing what I know now, I would do it all over again

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Intersesting place to discuss trolls and make other critical Elio Motors comments on a thread tiltled Elio Erks Me To No End. LOL
Every pro and con detail about the Elio project has been discussed over and over again. The overly positive enthusiasm is as unrealistic as the overly negative. Discussion should provide for a realistic blend of the two. Nothing wrong with questioning EM 's progress and decision making process when it causes serious delays, providing it's respectful. EM announcements (particularly delays) impacts how a cross section of the fan base feels at a given time, along the timeline to production, the highs and the lows. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Top Bottom