• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Air Conditioning Module.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I actually think its a good idea no need to sap any more performance out of the little engine.

The power still comes from the engine, just via wires and not a belt. It's buffered a little by the battery, though which might help a little.

Purely made up numbers, just trying to explain theory a little:

5hp used when compressor cycles on, say 50% cycle time on a hot day.

2 1/2hp used steadily by the alternator keeping the battery charged from compressor use (probably slightly more due to the inefficiencies of converting mechanical power to electric and back to mechanical, although not spinning a compressor pulley when it's not needed will offset some of that)

Nothing is truly free.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Stuart, thanks for a great article and hopefully this will be a cost effective solution for Elio to consider.

"We significantly reduced the size of our HVAC unit so we could shop it to other automakers as a common design," Clemence said.

The new system debuted last year in the Toyota Voxy and Noah, two minivans sold in Asia. Next, Denso's factory in Battle Creek will launch production early next year for an unidentified automaker in North America. :)

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The power still comes from the engine, just via wires and not a belt. It's buffered a little by the battery, though which might help a little.

Purely made up numbers, just trying to explain theory a little:

5hp used when compressor cycles on, say 50% cycle time on a hot day.

2 1/2hp used steadily by the alternator keeping the battery charged from compressor use (probably slightly more due to the inefficiencies of converting mechanical power to electric and back to mechanical, although not spinning a compressor pulley when it's not needed will offset some of that)

Nothing is truly free.

I know that but Elio chose to go electric for a reason. The electric set up must have been more efficient than the conventional way.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I know that but Elio chose to go electric for a reason. The electric set up must have been more efficient than the conventional way.
Actually the reasons were cost and availability. Any increased efficiency is simply a side benefit.

EM had originally planned to use an engine mounted compressor with the rear A/C evaporator from a minivan however that unit was discontinued this year so EM had to look for another solution.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, looking at the picture and reading the description, it's just what we think of as the heater core, blower motor, and controls for air flow. My assumption only (and you know where that gets ya.) Here's a Denso page on it: http://www.densodynamics.com/phenomenal-hvac-capabilities-itty-bitty-living-space/

Compressor, driven off the motor or electrically, would be mounted elsewhere. Electric drive would free up mounting options to any unused space. The condensor still needs to be mounted where it will get cooling air flow (normally piggybacked onto the radiator.)

Elio does need a small HVAC unit, maybe even smaller than this one, due to not having a "passenger side" of the dashboard to mount it in like normal cars do.
This is an example of what I do not like about what is on the internet: lack of specific information. I got the impression they were talking about the entire unit containing all parts and sitting like a window air conditioner in a home straddling the outside and inside. Then you got the impression of something else. The PR people take small things and make them sound big by being vague. Regardless, what I despise on the internet is the lack of useful information and substituting sales hype.

I am not saying either of us is correct or incorrect. I just find internet information very frustrating.

Top Bottom