• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Air Conditioning Module.

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...o-save-parts-money-with-one-size-fits-all-air

A one size fits all air conditioning and heater box that will be made in Battle Creek MI, not by a US owned company, but I've looked at my list of suppliers and there really aren't any American owned automotive AC equipment suppliers. It will go into an unnamed OEM's cars beginning next year. Small size for the Elio's very compact dash. And probably most importantly, cheap and lightweight.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...o-save-parts-money-with-one-size-fits-all-air

A one size fits all air conditioning and heater box that will be made in Battle Creek MI, not by a US owned company, but I've looked at my list of suppliers and there really aren't any American owned automotive AC equipment suppliers. It will go into an unnamed OEM's cars beginning next year. Small size for the Elio's very compact dash. And probably most importantly, cheap and lightweight.
Wouldn't it be cool if it was for the Elio. No pun intended. :-) Z

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Stuart, thanks for a great article and hopefully this will be a cost effective solution for Elio to consider.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a great idea. We know the compressor will be electric. This entire unit resides under the dash (Manhattan real estate as they call it) which makes since. By having a single unit, the evaporator coils, condenser coils, and compressor are all built in one unit. Cabin air ducts can be attached to it for cabin distribution and external ducts for the condenser coils can be ducted to it through the firewall or upward through the grill in front of the windshield. One unit is installed instead of three: evaporator under the dash, compressor on the engine, and condenser in front of the radiator, plus all the hoses interconnecting these parts. There would not be installed hoses to leak nor leaks around a rotating shaft as on engine driven compressors.

This is a great idea and look forward to seeing it on my Elio.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a great idea. We know the compressor will be electric. This entire unit resides under the dash (Manhattan real estate as they call it) which makes since. By having a single unit, the evaporator coils, condenser coils, and compressor are all built in one unit. Cabin air ducts can be attached to it for cabin distribution and external ducts for the condenser coils can be ducted to it through the firewall or upward through the grill in front of the windshield. One unit is installed instead of three: evaporator under the dash, compressor on the engine, and condenser in front of the radiator, plus all the hoses interconnecting these parts. There would not be installed hoses to leak nor leaks around a rotating shaft as on engine driven compressors.

This is a great idea and look forward to seeing it on my Elio.

I think you may be reading to much into what they said. I think the only thing they are doing is making the under dash part generic.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
We don't know if this really is the part Elio Motors will use however we have had it confirmed by Jerome Vassallo that EM has changed from their original plans due to a parts availability issue and will now use an entirely electric A/C which does not require a compressor running off the engine.

This does however appear to be a solution which could suit EM's needs quite well.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think you may be reading to much into what they said. I think the only thing they are doing is making the under dash part generic.

Yes, looking at the picture and reading the description, it's just what we think of as the heater core, blower motor, and controls for air flow. My assumption only (and you know where that gets ya.) Here's a Denso page on it: http://www.densodynamics.com/phenomenal-hvac-capabilities-itty-bitty-living-space/

Compressor, driven off the motor or electrically, would be mounted elsewhere. Electric drive would free up mounting options to any unused space. The condensor still needs to be mounted where it will get cooling air flow (normally piggybacked onto the radiator.)

Elio does need a small HVAC unit, maybe even smaller than this one, due to not having a "passenger side" of the dashboard to mount it in like normal cars do.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We don't know if this really is the part Elio Motors will use however we have had it confirmed by Jerome Vassallo that EM has changed from their original plans due to a parts availability issue and will now use an entirely electric A/C which does not require a compressor running off the engine.

This does however appear to be a solution which could suit EM's needs quite well.

I actually think its a good idea no need to sap any more performance out of the little engine.

Top Bottom