• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elgin Poll Reality Check

How much extra if at all would you pay for different instruments

• Nothing. OK as is.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • Up to $300

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Up to $600

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Up to $900

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Up to $1200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over $1200

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I doubt the ELIO is redlined at 7500rpm. 6500-6800 seems more realistic based on the engine size and design and comparison to other engines.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did some looking around and found an OBD2 enabled HUD for about $35. Model WO2.
I seem to recall from someplace that the Elio is about 7500 red line so I looked for a tach scale that would reach that.
Not perfect, but gives some additional instrumentation.
If someone knows the actual red line it's possible some of the other HUDs would do the trick.

Screw getting a HUD,
https://www.amazon.com/Professional...e=UTF8&qid=1470316882&sr=8-5&keywords=ELM+327

and then use this app:

Here's a better video using your cell phone:

Last edited by a moderator:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
:eek:...I may finally have a reason to get a cell phone! :D
You could always get a used one, don't add it to your cell service, and connect to your home wifi to download torque and google maps. You can even download your local area map so you won't need an active connection to have navigation... Then, just use the old phone as a display in your Elio with the ELM 327. If you have a mount that will put the phone in a visible area but not blocking your view ahead, like, say, in front of the Lord Elgin display, it can completely replace most of the car's dash lights. You'll still need the dash for turn signals though. You DO use turn signals, right? Everyone should.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess if I didn't suffer from benign tremors and didn't live in an area where cell reception is sketchie at best that might be a good solution.
You don't need cell reception at all. An old Cell phone with Bluetooth and wifi will suffice. (but not really old cellphones... Think a 2 or 3 year old "smart phone" that you don't want connected to your cell service) The tremors could be an issue though. You can set up Torque at home though and just open the app when you get in the car. You don't have to touch the screen at all while you drive. Once you have the gauges you want on the screen, they stay there.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You could always get a used one, don't add it to your cell service, and connect to your home wifi to download torque and google maps. You can even download your local area map so you won't need an active connection to have navigation... Then, just use the old phone as a display in your Elio with the ELM 327. If you have a mount that will put the phone in a visible area but not blocking your view ahead, like, say, in front of the Lord Elgin display, it can completely replace most of the car's dash lights. You'll still need the dash for turn signals though. You DO use turn signals, right? Everyone should.

Sounds like you did your homework on this. Time for me to do mine! Thanks for the link and tips, Ty! :thumb:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is what I use in my Miata, Torque Pro and a cheapo $10 bluetooth OBD2 adapter. Mine does not have an on/off switch so I unplug it when not in use since there are times when I might not drive my car for weeks. When it dies I will probably pay more for a higher quality one with an on/off switch like the Kiwi.

On my last car I did exactly as Ty suggested and used an old Android phone that a friend was just going to throw away and left it mounted to use just for auxiliary gauges. Since my current car is much less secure I just launch the Torque app on my main phone whenever I feel like getting more info. I do not want to risk a slashed soft top just because someone thought an old smartphone on my dash was worth anything.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Or if you want to replace the factory radio why not get an android radio. These come with touch screens that range from very small to fit in a 1 din slot to screens that come out of a slot and allow you to position up to about a 7" screen at any angle you want.

Do this and you can get bluetooth, a place to plugin your backup camera, phone integration, on and on. Some of them even come with built in OBD.

So you get one of these, replace the factory radio, load up torque, and away you go. Skyzmatic for a fraction of the cost.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Or if you want to replace the factory radio why not get an android radio. These come with touch screens that range from very small to fit in a 1 din slot to screens that come out of a slot and allow you to position up to about a 7" screen at any angle you want.

Do this and you can get bluetooth, a place to plugin your backup camera, phone integration, on and on. Some of them even come with built in OBD.

So you get one of these, replace the factory radio, load up torque, and away you go. Skyzmatic for a fraction of the cost.
Now that you mention it; I did write to the people at Skyzmatic (3 times) and asked them point blank; "I saw you presentation; so what makes yours worth $2K when there are so many apps already out that do the exact same functions for a fraction of the cost of your system?"

I have never gotten an answer or any type of reply from them.

Top Bottom