• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric Elio May Be Closer Than You Think. Or Not.

antrey

Reaction score
I've owned one electric vehicle designed to be run on public roads .... right now its back at the dealer where it is purchased where I hope it will be sold on consignment .... the time may eventually come when I might buy another but the technology just isn't there for me to buy one for anything other than casual use .... with an Elio we should be able to go where we want, when we want .... it doesn't require overnight recharging ... I have no problems with folks who want one, but for me, been there, done that, no desire to repeat the experience

Jim
My used Chevy Volt has been the best experience in vehicle ownership I have ever had. I don't visit gas stations for months on end. I've had it for 2.5yrs and have done one oil change. Brake pads look like I installed them yesterday. Engine compartment looks like new with little heat and cycling to age rubber and plastics under the hood. There is no going back.

antrey

Reaction score
Even the Tesla isn't fossil fuel free, it uses electricity generated at a power plant to charge the it's batteries.
The grid becomes cleaner every day. The vast majority of new generation going in is renewables now because traditional generation is finding it difficult to compete on cost in most cases. I've had solar panels on my last two homes with enough capacity to take care of my house loads and charge my EV. Solar has come down to a price point where taking out a loan to install on a used house or including in the mortgage on a new house is a no brainer. The savings are greater than the financing costs from day one. Instant savings.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thread necromancy; the last post in this thread was December of 2014 (!)

The EV debate is still a contentious one around here, with supporters and detractors unwilling to give up either position. For the most part, we avoid the subject nowadays, as it inevitably brings out strong emotions and derails threads.

I've no doubt that somebody will convert an Elio to electric, but I have doubts that EM would be interested in doing any such thing when Arcimoto is already on the cusp of releasing their electric two-seat/three-wheel commuter.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My used Chevy Volt has been the best experience in vehicle ownership I have ever had. I don't visit gas stations for months on end. I've had it for 2.5yrs and have done one oil change. Brake pads look like I installed them yesterday. Engine compartment looks like new with little heat and cycling to age rubber and plastics under the hood. There is no going back.
antrey, welcome from your neighbor in Las Cruces. Not visiting a gas station for months must mean you seldom get out of El Paso very often. EV's are great for local travel but do not have the range of the Elio. Enjoy the forum and the Elio family

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thread necromancy; the last post in this thread was December of 2014 (!)

The EV debate is still a contentious one around here, with supporters and detractors unwilling to give up either position. For the most part, we avoid the subject nowadays, as it inevitably brings out strong emotions and derails threads.

I've no doubt that somebody will convert an Elio to electric, but I have doubts that EM would be interested in doing any such thing when Arcimoto is already on the cusp of releasing their electric two-seat/three-wheel commuter.
The Elio hands down the winner. You're right so let's move on. Plus the Acrimoto will freeze you to death in weather.

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally I feel that PHEV (Plug in Electric) Vehicles are the way to go for larger vehicles.

For the Elio, getting 84/49 mpg hwy/city it is an excellent choice for me.

I am waiting for the Mitsubisi Outlander PHEV to hit the North American Market in tge spring of 2017. With my added Elio. I will be good to go.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some utilities, including mine (El Paso Electric) have already set up special rates for EV owners that have lower pricing for charging off peak. This will allow utilities to serve the added EV loads by running plants when they would normally sit idle. More energy sales from existing infrastructure and taking advantage of these time of use rates are actually reducing overall bills in some areas.
Welcome antrey, there are a few Elio supporters that are also fans of electric vehicles and or looking forward to the possibility of a future EVElio.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio hands down the winner. You're right so let's move on. Plus the Acrimoto will freeze you to death in weather.
The SRK everyday electric has climate control along with the enclosure option which is unnecessary for those reservationist's living in tropical/desert/ and more temperate climates.

This is an electric Elio thread so it merits discussion for those with interest in EVs.

Triangles

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the owner of an EV I'd love to see an electric Elio but there is nowhere to put enough batteries in Elio to make it feasible with current battery technology. Not to mention keeping 70% of the weight over the front wheels like the current design with a gas engine. I would love to see Arcimoto succeed but I am very skeptical that they will simply due to cost. I don't see Elio making that same mistake. Maybe with Elio 2.0 or 3.0 five to ten years from now it might work but not anytime soon. Besides Elio really needs to focus on getting to production before they run out of money or are no longer able to find more investors and go bankrupt.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rick, do you have a reference for the climate control option on the SRK? I didn't see anything about it on the Arcimoto site.

Edit: Found it about 2/3 down their FAQ page. It says vent, heat and defrost will be included for cabin comfort and full HVAC will be an option. No price listed

Last edited:
Top Bottom