• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eco Motors Engine?

Autoxdriver

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It's important to remember that 3 wheels is not the salient feature of the Elio that gives it any advantage over normal cars, so in the event that the Elio becomes a success it will not necessarily mean that other 3 wheeled vehicle designs will suddenly become viable. The principle idea behind the Elio is tandem seating, making it possible to significantly reduce the width of the vehicle and reap the corresponding aerodynamic benefits. Once the commitment to tandem seating and a narrow body is made, 3 wheels then makes more sense than 4, but it was tandem seating that drove the use of 3 wheels, not the other way around. Designs like the EMC3 won't really be that much more efficient than a 4 wheeled counterpart, other than saving maybe a little weight and a little tire-to-pavement drag.

Last edited:

Travis Bertram

Elio Fan
Reaction score
The company that originally designed the engine sold out to china so that they could get the capital to produce just the engine. Current focus is getting the engine into industrial platforms like back up generators. I think it is an awesome design with tons of potential if they can break into the established industry.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's important to remember that 3 wheels is not the salient feature of the Elio that gives it any advantage over normal cars, so in the event that the Elio becomes a success it will not necessarily mean that other 3 wheeled vehicle designs will suddenly become viable. The principle idea behind the Elio is tandem seating, making it possible to significantly reduce the width of the vehicle and reap the corresponding aerodynamic benefits. Once the commitment to tandem seating and a narrow body is made, 3 wheels then makes more sense than 4, but it was tandem seating that drove the use of 3 wheels, not the other way around. Designs like the EMC3 won't really be that much more efficient than a 4 wheeled counterpart, other than saving maybe a little weight and a little tire-to-pavement drag.
I hear what you're saying and what I am thinking is other established automakers may come out with a competing model if Elio were produced and successful...

Ray

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If this car truly gets 60+MPG, I think it will give Elio a run for it's money.
Some will opt for spouse setting next to them rather than the MPG's.
If all things were equal, I would choose this car over Elio, just to have my wife setting up front next to me.
That is why I am getting the trailer hitch.

Top Bottom