• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eager To See A Driving Review Or Impression With Purpose Built Iav Designed Engine!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff.

I've been all-in since January 2014, but just now (for Christmas) getting around to upgrading to the $1000 level. Back then there were 6,600 or so total reservations. Looks like I'll have about 16,000 in front of me when production starts, but ... I think it will be worth the wait. I've been craving a high MPG car since the gasoline crisis of '73. You bet I'm ready for one of these.
welcome aboard

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How will it do in the snow/bad weather?
November 03, 2014 21:35
The Elio will do well in all kinds of weather! The front engine, low center of gravity, front wheel drive and ABS will create some great traction action to help pull the Elio through the snow or other bad weather. Word of caution though, we are not a 4-wheel drive urban assault vehicle, so if there are 5' snow drifts, stay home and wait until the plows come through!

https://support.eliomotors.com/hc/en-us/articles/203503140-How-will-it-do-in-the-snow-bad-weather-

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Traction wise I think the Elio will surprise a lot of people. Most FWD cars are good on snow & ice and they have half their wheels pulling. The Elio has two thirds of its wheels pulling. The real problem will be steering. With the front wheels in the ruts left by previous vehicles keeping the rear wheel on the hump between the ruts will be like trying to stand on a basketball. Once the rear wheel drops into the rut behind one of the front wheels it may not want to come out. You'll end up crabbing down the road sideways with the steering at or near full lock just to stay straight. That and keeping the wiper from freezing under the rear edge of the hood.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Traction wise I think the Elio will surprise a lot of people. Most FWD cars are good on snow & ice and they have half their wheels pulling. The Elio has two thirds of its wheels pulling. The real problem will be steering. With the front wheels in the ruts left by previous vehicles keeping the rear wheel on the hump between the ruts will be like trying to stand on a basketball. Once the rear wheel drops into the rut behind one of the front wheels it may not want to come out. You'll end up crabbing down the road sideways with the steering at or near full lock just to stay straight. That and keeping the wiper from freezing under the rear edge of the hood.
When in doubt, hit the gas and drive out of it. :thumb:
They make wipers you can wire so it has a heating element to keep them clear

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Ah ha! I see an aftermarket for side window wipers for when you're crabbing down the road! :D

Seriously though, it could get interesting particularly when the slush refreezes. :eek:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a car where the wipers hid under the hood (1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue). I never had any problem with them freezing and being stuck down there. Or rather, they froze as often as any other car, and were just as easy to unstick as any other.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is that the one on the road that has been plowed completely flat, with only a dusting of snow left? Yeah, that's not "driving in snow". I want to see how it does after you get 10" of snow overnight, some salting, the intersections are all melted into about 2-3" of icy slush, and the highways are nothing more than vague tire tracks in the snow. *That* is winter driving. And that's the kind of thing that I fear the Elio will not handle very well. That center tire in the back will be riding in all the snow piles that all the cars miss.
Well, of course the Elio won't do well in 10" of snow. Only a handful of vehicles would. In North Dakota, the roads were kept decently plowed but invariably, the least snow was in the center of each lane as it humps up a bit from all the oil trucks in the area. When they plow the highways there, they scalp the snow off the center and it leaves 1/4" to 1/2" of snow/ice in the normal tire paths. 10" of snow says "Take the truck, Ty. Take the truck." I don't mind not saving fuel for a week or two of the year. Well, here in Albuquerque, the snow never gets that bad anyway.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Reminds me of the time wife wanted to visit son's grave late Xmas day after a heavy snow in Tulsa. Got about halfway there inside cemetery before 1984 Sable got stuck. I had to walk back home 3 miles and get our Van and some shovels as AAA would not show. I parked the Van at entrance and walked to car with shovels and dug out the Sable. We got home safely, but had to return to retrieve my youngest son's cell phone. He dropped it when pushing the Sable. Lucky he had it turned on and we listened for the ring tone. That was one crazy night! I am glad the policemen did not see us.

I want to say I appreciate your dedication to your family.

Top Bottom