• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eager To See A Driving Review Or Impression With Purpose Built Iav Designed Engine!

Gizmo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is that the one on the road that has been plowed completely flat, with only a dusting of snow left? Yeah, that's not "driving in snow". I want to see how it does after you get 10" of snow overnight, some salting, the intersections are all melted into about 2-3" of icy slush, and the highways are nothing more than vague tire tracks in the snow. *That* is winter driving. And that's the kind of thing that I fear the Elio will not handle very well. That center tire in the back will be riding in all the snow piles that all the cars miss.

Even if there's a couple of inches of snow I see a problem. Small cars with 4 wheels drive in the tracks. The Elio rear wheel will be out of the track. Guess that's when I'll drive the truck.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Re: P5 real world driving videos...
From the looks of the P5 details that have been shown thus far...
I'd venture to say that it's not even really road worthy yet.
If that's the case, they're not eager to put vehicle and personnel at risk.
Give them a while to get a little further along with it.
Bistros don't serve critics half-prepared meals right?

Last edited:

MikeVB

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm very optimistic about how the Elio will handle in severe snow conditions. I'm from Northern New York State's Tughill Plateau, and have 45 years of winter driving behind me. While I wouldn't expect the car to perform like an F250 4x4 in snow, I do think the little car might be exceptional at handling fairly aggressive snow conditions. It's true that, at times the rear tire will be breaking fresh snow while the front ones are not, but I think overall, given front-wheel drive and a narrow fuselage, it might do quite well. Might need to do a little modification on the front wheel covers - maybe not. I wonder if studded snow tires will be available in the front tire size. Could be fun.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I doubt they will be doing any serious testing of the P5 until they make some modifications. The clutch is too close to the floor. When pressing it, my keel would hit the floor. Also, the shifter was very hard to shift and I never knew what gear it was in, when I could get it into a gear.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I'm very optimistic about how the Elio will handle in severe snow conditions. I'm from Northern New York State's Tughill Plateau, and have 45 years of winter driving behind me. While I wouldn't expect the car to perform like an F250 4x4 in snow, I do think the little car might be exceptional at handling fairly aggressive snow conditions. It's true that, at times the rear tire will be breaking fresh snow while the front ones are not, but I think overall, given front-wheel drive and a narrow fuselage, it might do quite well. Might need to do a little modification on the front wheel covers - maybe not. I wonder if studded snow tires will be available in the front tire size. Could be fun.

Welcome to the forum Mike! Glad to have you here.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Reminds me of the time wife wanted to visit son's grave late Xmas day after a heavy snow in Tulsa. Got about halfway there inside cemetery before 1984 Sable got stuck. I had to walk back home 3 miles and get our Van and some shovels as AAA would not show. I parked the Van at entrance and walked to car with shovels and dug out the Sable. We got home safely, but had to return to retrieve my youngest son's cell phone. He dropped it when pushing the Sable. Lucky he had it turned on and we listened for the ring tone. That was one crazy night! I am glad the policemen did not see us.
How culd they see you when they were warm inside the donut shop, while you wer out in the dark pushing?

PipSquack

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I doubt they will be doing any serious testing of the P5 until they make some modifications. The clutch is too close to the floor. When pressing it, my keel would hit the floor. Also, the shifter was very hard to shift and I never knew what gear it was in, when I could get it into a gear.

Perhaps that was an intentional thing for the Show for liability purposes so nobody could get it out of gear and have it roll up on someone.

MikeVB

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Mike! Glad to have you here.

Thanks Jeff.

I've been all-in since January 2014, but just now (for Christmas) getting around to upgrading to the $1000 level. Back then there were 6,600 or so total reservations. Looks like I'll have about 16,000 in front of me when production starts, but ... I think it will be worth the wait. I've been craving a high MPG car since the gasoline crisis of '73. You bet I'm ready for one of these.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is that the one on the road that has been plowed completely flat, with only a dusting of snow left? Yeah, that's not "driving in snow". I want to see how it does after you get 10" of snow overnight, some salting, the intersections are all melted into about 2-3" of icy slush, and the highways are nothing more than vague tire tracks in the snow. *That* is winter driving. And that's the kind of thing that I fear the Elio will not handle very well. That center tire in the back will be riding in all the snow piles that all the cars miss.
Paul did say that "this will be an AND car" so, a day like you describe would probably be one for you to leave the Elio home........But, I would take it anyway! :boink: :becky:

Top Bottom