• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

Interested

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Worked on my hacksaw collection. Why might you ask? I love looking at all the different designs. Nickel plated some of them. Earliest ones have a lever to tension the blades. Made by George Griffin, patented June 5, 1883. Later became part of C.E. Jennings. From left to right: Disston 12", Unknown 8", Griffin 9", Griffin 8", Unknown 9", Unknown 9 1/2" (might be butcher saw), Star Clemson Brothers 8", Star Clemson Brothers 9", Star Clemson Brothers 10", Union/Adkins 8", Stearns file handle.

Group Plated 5-13-24s.jpg

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is a new one for me and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this. I was putting air in my motorcycle tire when the schrader valve separated from the rubber housing and shot out. There had been a slow leak for some time and I just assumed it was somewhere around the rim, but I was wrong. Very glad I wasn't flying down the highway when it spit itself out. For the record, I wasn't being forceful and actually using a bicycle tire pump to add air. I took it to CycleGear for them to look at, as they had installed the valve and tire a few years back. They had never seen anything like it, either and thought maybe it might be heat related. I keep my motorcycle in the garage, but my garage is not climate controlled. Scratching my head on this one.
Shrader_Valve.JPG

Needless to say, this wasn't an easy fix. I had to tear down the whole rear of the bike to remove the tire/rim.
Rear_Removed.JPG

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had the rubber seal go bad on the valves used on rims with tubeless tires
Yes, I've had valve stems leak where they go into the rim and meet the metal, but never had one separate and come apart (like the one above)

I got up early (before it got too hot, here) and re-assembled my motorcycle. The hardest part is getting the chain aligned with the proper tension. I know they make a specific tool for aligning the chain... might have to invest in one.

Interested

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Currently working on a Millers Falls No. 97 breast drill. I agree with what others have said about it, it's a beast. Weights about eight pounds. Here are some before and after pictures. Getting ready to nickel plate and then paint some details.

Attachments

• 97 rights.jpg
    97 rights.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 97 right polished.jpg
    97 right polished.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 97 lefts.jpg
    97 lefts.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 97 left polished.jpg
    97 left polished.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 18

Interested

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
OK, I give up, do you sit on it? Or do you put your shoulder on it? To put your weight on it?
It's called a breast drill because you push on the end with your chest while on handle turns the crank with a drill bit and the other handle steadies with the auxiliary handle. The trick is to position the workpiece for best control. Think of the workpiece on a bench and drilling horizontal. You could also drill straight down with the drill higher on your chest.

Here is decent YouTube showing use:

Last edited:

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The turn signals stopped working on my girlfriend's car. She told me they this had been an intermittent issue and she thought the problem would "just go away". Well the turn signals went away entirely.

I ordered up a new relay and installed it this morning while she slept in. When she got up, I told her the car was all fixed. She thinks I'm some sort of "genius". I'm not going to tell her it took me less than 15 minutes to fix it.
Turn_Signal_Relay.JPG

Top Bottom