• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Digital Instrument Cluster

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looking at this, where is the oil/engine temp gauge? How will we know if it overheats, besides the light coming on? And if it comes on, we wont know how hot it actually is. If it's just a little over, or danger hot.
Show me a modern mass-produced car that has an oil temp gauge.
Show me a modern mass-produced car that has an accurate coolant temp gauge clearly marked with actual linear temperature values.
(Notable exceptions are high-dollar, high-power sports cars aimed at enthusiasts.)

The dirty secret is the gauges on new (and even old) mass-produced cars are extremely non-linear at-best, and outright fake in some cases. By the time the temp gauge begins to climb past the middle the engine is already cooked. They are meant to be idiot lights, which the cars also still have.

The reason for this, my theory is, is that most Americans have absolutely no clue what the gauges are supposed to do, but they still want them because they are "cool" and "sporty". When gauges were real, drivers would go back to the dealers and complain that the oil pressure was really high when it was cold, and really low when it was warm, and would move up and down and all around while driving, oh my! Same with the water temperature gauge.

Automakers got tired of it so now the gauges are effectively fake. The water temp gauge usually starts to climb at 150 and will stay basically in the center from 180 to 230-ish, then the gauge will top out at 250. But of course no actual temperature numbers on the gauge.

There are actually newer cars out there with oil pressure gauges on the dash, but no actual pressure sender, just a pressure switch. If there is enough pressure to activate the switch, the gauge goes to just an 1/8 past the middle and sits there. By design! Fraudulent in my opinion.

Last edited:

CesarM

Reaction score
If there is one think i would change in the interior of the Elio P5 would be the gages!
I havent driven it but i can already tell these gages would not be very functional.
Its like looking at a digital RPM readout and you are driving a stick, how confusing
would that be. (Numbers jumping up and down). Analog has worked for a very long time
because it WORKS! lets not re-invent the wheel here folks.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If there is one think i would change in the interior of the Elio P5 would be the gages!
I havent driven it but i can already tell these gages would not be very functional.
Its like looking at a digital RPM readout and you are driving a stick, how confusing
would that be. (Numbers jumping up and down). Analog has worked for a very long time
because it WORKS! lets not re-invent the wheel here folks.

Well, welcome to the board. I'm sure there is more than one person who agrees with you.
But I like the Elgin, and I shift by sound anyways :p

Top Bottom