• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Delaying Car Purchase?

SPeterson

I purchased a nearly new Nissan Leaf (LOVE it!): ~100MPGe, and with solar on the house, "fuel" is nearly free and very green. So, yeah, I'm re-thinking ELIO. But, I also need to replace my aging (but still wonderful) GoldWing. On second thought, hurry up, Elio - I have a 120 mile round trip daily commute, which I drive when I can't carpool.

Rickb

Elio Addict
That's interesting. You do realize that both GM and Chrysler went bankrupt and as a result of the so called bailout the unions got most of the stock in both and lots of individual investors lost everything? Oh, and Chrysler is now owned by an Italian company? And the US median income has declined?
Hey, Fix It Again Tony!
Ten months to process a loan application?
Riiiiight.
Yes, but both businesses and thousands of jobs were saved by the bailout helping to create a more stabile economy on mainstreets across the country that worried about losing their GM and Chrysler dealerships.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Yes, but both businesses and thousands of jobs were saved by the bailout helping to create a more stabile economy on mainstreets across the country that worried about losing their GM and Chrysler dealerships.

And profitable dealerships that had been family businesses for years were closed because the owners were not politically well connected. The nearest Chevy dealer used to be 30 miles NW from my house. It didn't make the list. Now the nearest Chevy dealer is 50 SE miles SE in the other direction.

Rickb

Elio Addict
And profitable dealerships that had been family businesses for years were closed because the owners were not politically well connected. The nearest Chevy dealer used to be 30 miles NW from my house. It didn't make the list. Now the nearest Chevy dealer is 50 SE miles SE in the other direction.
I suspect the once profitable family dealerships you mention closed because they were no longer profitable even with the government bailout and nothing to do with political connections, but rather poor GM & Chrysler management.

The key point is they didn't ALL CLOSE and the auto industry recovered along with our overall economy.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
I suspect the once profitable family dealerships you mention closed because they were no longer profitable even with the government bailout and nothing to do with political connections, but rather poor GM & Chrysler management.

The key point is they didn't ALL CLOSE and the auto industry recovered along with our overall economy.

They were profitable until their franchises were voided/revoked in the bankruptcy proceedings after the initial bailout.
Guess that's another good reason to be happy Elio is not going with the franchise arrangement.

Coss

Staff member
What I want to know (in reference to Ekh's post) is how someone goes 30,000 miles without replacing brake pads.

When I had my S10 PU I went 75,000 on the same set of brake pads; I use Ceramic Composites with slotted rotors and did mostly freeway driving (like 90% of the time I was on the freeway) and I still had acceptable pad left on them. Just like Buckeyedjake said, you don't use brakes on the freeway.
Friend of mine went 110,000 on a Toyota Celica clutch before he had to change it; same deal; majority freeway driving.

Rickb

Elio Addict
They were profitable until their franchises were voided/revoked in the bankruptcy proceedings after the initial bailout.
Guess that's another good reason to be happy Elio is not going with the franchise arrangement.
Yes, and that direct to consumer sales model is in legislative jeopardy in many States due to the successful NADA franchises. It's so wrong to oppose free enterprise. Go Elio Superstores!