• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Cozy Three Wheeler Ev?

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, well that's one opinion. Sounds remarkably similar to the EM party line.

I do believe that the current and near future 3W manufacturers need to immediately start filling a large amount of the page with disclaimers in large font even to the detriment of potential sales if they don't want big auto and big brother to step in. That said, IMHO, the Elio will never be anywhere near as safe as the average major auto makers' four wheelers, no matter how many air bags EM puts on it. So if this is a legitimate view of an unavoidable future, what are we even doing here?
Well, yeah, just one opinion. That's why we're here: To give our opinion.

Altogether, I think we agree on a lot of things. And you have some very good points. The Elio will not be as safe as a 4 wheel vehicle with all the mandated safety systems. But if the Elio did not have the safety features it advertises, including air bags, I wouldn't have put down a deposit at all.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Safety thresholds for alternative platforms is always a grey area. Safe enough for whom? The Elio would be safe enough for me.

The Slingshot is NOT safe enough for me, especially without a helmet. I've broken so many windshields on the freeways around here, I want a lot of glass or something forward and above my head or forget it.

Let's see, I have a very substantial ding in it about every 6months, and the frontal of that is about 20x to my head's frontal, 40x if considering just my skull. So in an average of 20years of commuting on AZ freeways, I might die once, might go to the hospital with-in 10years, probably will get a strong hit about 4 times on my body in 5 years. I don't like those odds.

But half the Harley riders around here seem unconcerned, no helmet at all.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This was the response from the founder and still chief engineer of a scooter and enclosed trike manufacturer...
Who's company (employer) ships enclosed three-wheelers around the world...
To my inquiry in a similar conversation...

Quote: "I said that there are no Fed Rules. But, the Fed request for comment that I saw about 2 years ago pondered not allowing the autocycles and asked for general comment from the industry. Outlaw would be in that they would restrict the cycle trike category and enact specific rules to define and control it to prevent the vehicles from straying to far from the motorcycle roots.

Obviously the Feds have not done anything yet, and I have not seen anything further, but I have had phone discussions with one compliance officer who is tasked with monitoring this market. I think it is too late for the closing of the autocycle loophole for already started projects, but I would not be surprised if there are not some new rules enacted for any would be newcomers into the market with some particular trigger date." End Quote.

Interesting.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think one way to determine a helmet or not is to look at the seats. You SIT ON a motorcycle, but SIT IN a car. That's an important difference. When in an accident, sitting on a seat will likely result in you being thrown from the motorcycle. Head protection must then be provided to save your noggin. Sitting in a seat, a safety belt and airbags contain you to prevent being thrown. That is why you don't need a helmet when driving a convertible. Granted, if the car flips it will crush the windshield and reduce your space, but there is still some area protecting your body. It's all about the noggin. So if the vehicle has a seat belt, and room to contain you if upside down, a helmet should not be required. No safety belt, no helmet, use at own risk.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think one way to determine a helmet or not is to look at the seats. You SIT ON a motorcycle, but SIT IN a car. That's an important difference. When in an accident, sitting on a seat will likely result in you being thrown from the motorcycle. Head protection must then be provided to save your noggin. Sitting in a seat, a safety belt and airbags contain you to prevent being thrown. That is why you don't need a helmet when driving a convertible. Granted, if the car flips it will crush the windshield and reduce your space, but there is still some area protecting your body. It's all about the noggin. So if the vehicle has a seat belt, and room to contain you if upside down, a helmet should not be required. No safety belt, no helmet, use at own risk.
Yeah. Add to that some form of safety glass in front of your face... either windshield or visor or safety glasses/googles but not necessarily visor AND windshield.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ah! but you're not sitting in a car- it's an autocycle, that's why if you use the wayback machine the 5 star test rating advertised by EM went away.

Top Bottom