• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Compass Or Trip Computer?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nearly all new vehicles today have a display for showing/computing: Average MPG, Current (second by second) MPG, Range, Miles Driven, Average MPH, along with other factoids such as Outside Temperature, Time, Date, etc.

With Elio's emphasis on being a high MPG vehicle, I would think such a device would be a given, but I have neither heard nor seen anything, to date, that would indicate the inclusion of this sort of indicator. I definitely don't consider it a "must have", based on the goal of keeping the base price to $6800. BUT, I would think they would want to include such a thing, if for no other reason than to give folks an easy way to brag to all their friends about how good the mileage is that they are getting, and how much $$$ they are saving at the pump (possibly another function of the MPG calculator...)!!!

Maybe even just a USB port on the dash to allow a phone app to handle the computation/display......???

Does anyone know if such a device is planned for the Elio?
Despite my rant about the scan gauge, I really would like to have a USB port built in or a BT connectivity set-up. I gather the difference between BD1 and BDII is one-way( out only) or two-way connectivity. Hope they go with BDII.

Fine to make it an option; can't go adding cost to the stock build!

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For $99 it looks pretty clunky to me. For free I can note how much I put in the tank and the starting mileage, then fill it again and note the amount of gas to fill the tank and note the mileage.

Um, I think you are missing the point. The real time average and instant MPG along with the moving over/under graph allows a driver to modify their behavior in real time and learn where and how to improve MPG. Tough to do that at the pump after the gas is gone.

Despite my rant about the scan gauge, I really would like to have a USB port built in or a BT connectivity set-up. I gather the difference between BD1 and BDII is one-way( out only) or two-way connectivity. Hope they go with BDII.

OBD1 (On-Board Diagnostics) and OBDII are each connectors and families of serial communication standards. Both are two-way. OBDII uses CAN, ISO, PWM, and VPW communication protocols for sending serial data through the OBD connector. They all can be sent over USB or BT if those ports imitate serial ports (see ubiquitous ELM327 adapters and clones on feeBay and everywhere). But Elio would be better off sticking with the standard OBD connector and interface and let the buyer decide what interface adapter they want to use.

Elio has suggested somewhat offhand they may go with ODBII but cripple it so it's one-way only for "security". OBD1 is an obsolete technology so very unlikely they would use that. It would cost more money since it's obsolete.

Last edited:

GaPawn

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I plan to use a calculator and gallons sold at the pump... My experiance with fuel mileage mostly depends on the persons right foot..

That's what I'm having to do with my current vehicle. I keep a logbook and figure each tankful. It's a bit of a chore, and a bit time consuming. I often find myself putting off filling up when I'm in a hurry, cuz I don't have time to be bothered with filling out the log..... :(

I guess in this hustle-bustle world we simply need to slow down long enough to calculate some figures, it would probably do us a LOT of good!!! On the other hand, I do miss the convenience of just pushing the button on my other car..... ;):D

seeker

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Um, I think you are missing the point. The real time average and instant MPG along with the moving over/under graph allows a driver to modify their behavior in real time and learn where and how to improve MPG. Tough to do that at the pump after the gas is gone.
That's how I use mine in the Accent. I usually get it up to around 42mpg by the time I arrive at work if I'm watching it. When I'm not watching it I normally get around 37-38 mpg. There's certain parts of my commute where it's pretty easy to increase my mpg (open highway, light traffic).

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I often find myself putting off filling up when I'm in a hurry, cuz I don't have time to be bothered with filling out the log..... :(
I print a receipt and write the mileage on the receipt. Adds about 10 seconds to the fill-up.

Then when I'm doing paperwork at home I add it to a spreadsheet I keep for all my vehicles. It automatically calculates delta miles, MPG per tank, lifetime average MPG, average miles per tank, total miles, total fuel cost, and other statistics. Takes about 30 seconds to open the sheet and enter a new fill-up. That's how I know the lifetime average MPG for my RX-8 is 17.9 MPG. (And that I've spent thousands and thousands and thousands of $ on my beloved gasoline!)

And of course, if you don't want to do that, there's an app for that:
http://linkesoft.com/automobil/

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For $99 it looks pretty clunky to me. For free I can note how much I put in the tank and the starting mileage, then fill it again and note the amount of gas to fill the tank and note the mileage. Subtract A from B and divide by the gallons required to fill. If you didn't flunk arithmetic in grade school you can do this in your head! Used to do it this way all the time. A 50 cent notebook will log your mileage for a year or more! Scan gauge my eye! ;)
Car and Driver once had an article about a bunch of different "fuel mileage improvements" which included magnets, cyclone intakes, etc. They found that the single thing that actually improved gas mileage was a simple display showing instantaneous mileage. It seems drivers are the crux. Bluetooth phone plus $12 obdii bluetooth sensor plus "Torque" app will get you a very nice suite of gauges, one of which is instantaneous mileage. Of course, the Elio has to have obdii for it to work...

Top Bottom