• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Compass Or Trip Computer?

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've used maps and charts since I was a Boy Scout, and developed a love of geography early. The great advantage of GPS over a map is that it gives your current position in real time. That saves a lot of head-scratching trigonometry, working out an accurate fix from a few bearings.

On a road map you can assume one line of position, the road, so a single bearing and a hand compass can produce a pretty good fix. But that's still going to take a minute at the chart table with a parallel rule or a protractor. Otherwise, you can make a good estimate of your position, working with mileage and your last good landmark.

A map and a good magnetic compass still can be valuable tools when you want to know where you are. For size and reliability, they're hard to beat.

Pfffft! All I need is a map that shows notable relief features like nearby mountains and to know what time of day it is. I can look at the sun (or the moon on a clear night), tell you which way I'm headed, and whether I'm on the right road going the right way.

Until it's foggy or I'm in a foggy, dense city and can't see light in the sky. Then I need a compass, a smartphone, and a GPS.

I hate fog!

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I actually find an GPS app with audible queues (like what I have on my phone) to be much less of a distraction than tradition maps and compass. I like hear "Margaret" (as I call her, lol) letting me know when to turn and how far before the next turn. Also lets me know when there is an accident or road work causing delays ahead. Much safer than fiddling with a map or taking my eyes off the road I'm on and looking for my exit.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Lil4X...
If for some reason you don't still have your system, I've got a Delorme Earthmate GPS LT-20 sitting in front of me right now along with Delorme discs. First one is a Street Atlas 2006 USA and the second is a Street Atlas 2009 USA. 2006 is a "install" disc and a "Program Data" disc, and 2009 is a "Program and Map Data" disc.The USB antenna is in good shape and the discs are pristine. Paypal me $30 and I'll buy the shipping to Texas. If you still have yours, the offer is open to any of my Elio family here. This system, though not updated since 2009, is far more in-depth than any standard GPS unit or phone app I've seen. The only drawback is that it runs on a computer. It's great for trip planning and yes (correct me if I'm wrong here Lil4X), I believe it talks to you turn by turn while you're under way and yes, it will re-calculate and re-route if you miss a turn. The suction cup for the antenna got lost, but you can use some double faced tape or a velcro set-up to position it. I used it when I drove semi cross-country. I just don't see myself using it in the next five years. I'd like to think that someone else is enjoying it instead of it just sitting around.
Wow! Thanks for your generous offer, EA, but I still have my discs - although I've gone through a couple of laptops since. I'll probably wait to see what happens to "Streets" when my Elio arrives - and if my backseater is still interested in it. For anyone wanting a laptop solution, or just a desktop trip planner with all the facilities, attractions, and scenic routes on board, this is a terrific offer.

As to aknaten's opening remark about the directions "Well, you take this road 'til you come to the old barn that burned down ten years ago, take a left at the old tree that ain't there nomore and keep going 'til you run out of pavement." - Yeah, I've had those too. I used to have to visit clients' drilling rigs well off the beaten track, often down miles of cattle tracks and board roads, but at least my navigator would usually get me within sight of the derrick. I finally learned to look over the drilling log and get the lat-long from the lease records. I'd punch those coordinates into my navigator and presto! I'd get a target destination . . . even if it was a good way from a marked road. At least I'd know which direction to look as I waited for a big service truck to enter or leave the location. The billowing cloud of dust trailing it could be seen for miles, and it provided better directions than "go down to where the bluebird is sitting on the fence . . . " :confused:

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"as long as I got my plastic Jesus, sittin on the dashboard of my Elio."

This worked for the crew of Space Cowboys.

spacecowboyhula_zps39fe4225.jpg

Top Bottom