• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

China Is Building Too Many Electric Cars

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why does Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler build cars outside of the US?
Probably the same reason these guys build cars IN the United States:
Fiat, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, Volkswagen, Volvo, BMW, Daimler, Hino,...
Why on earth would all these companies build in the US? More productivity of each worker? Tariffs? Transportation costs?
Funny you should ask Ty! Most car makers have to have their base of operations. Case in point Honda and Toyota- they have their base and plants here...but check out their "other" operations outside of US! And these are just to name a few. It's business and to keep up with overhead costs, they have to establish "other/additional" plants outside of US for lower cost of production. So why then will they need "other" operations OUTSIDE of US IF business is so good in the US????

Dongfeng Honda Automobile Company Wuhan, China Honda CR-V
Honda Civic
Honda Elysion
Honda Jade
Honda Spirior
Honda X-RV 2003
L Honda of America Mfg., Inc
(East Liberty Auto Plant) East Liberty, Ohio, USA Honda CR-V
Acura RDX
Acura MDX 1989 short distance from Marysville Auto Plant
2 Guangqi Honda Guangzhou, China Honda Accord
Honda City
Honda Crider
Honda Crosstour
Honda Fit
Honda Odyssey
Honda Vezel 1998 The first production line of Honda in China[1]
Honda Atlas Cars Pakistan Lahore, Pakistan Honda City
Honda Civic
Honda BR-V 1992
H Honda of Canada Manufacturing Alliston, Ontario, Canada Honda Civic
Honda CR-V 1986 2 car plants and engine plant supplying engines to Civics
E Honda Manufacturing of Indiana Greensburg, Indiana, United States Honda Civic
Honda CR-V (2017-)

Honda Insight (2019-)[2]

2008 Previously made Honda Civic Hybrid, Civic GX NGV (natural gas vehicle), and Acura ILX.
B Honda Manufacturing of Alabama Lincoln, Alabama, United States Honda Odyssey
Honda Pilot
Honda Passport
Honda Ridgeline
Honda J engine

2001 Previously made Honda Accord and Acura MDX
A[3] Honda of America Mfg., Inc. - Marysville Auto Plant
(Honda Performance Manufacturing Center)

Marysville, Ohio, United States Acura NSX
Honda Accord (2 Door & 4 Door)
Acura TLX
Acura ILX

1982 The first American Honda plant built for the resurrection of the NSX, and the latest assembly plant of Honda in the USA.
U Honda of the UK Manufacturing Swindon, United Kingdom Honda Civic
Honda CRV (to 2017)
Honda Jazz (to 2014) 1992

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Funny you should ask Ty! Most car makers have to have their base of operations. Case in point Honda and Toyota- they have their base and plants here...but check out their "other" operations outside of US! And these are just to name a few. It's business and to keep up with overhead costs, they have to establish "other/additional" plants outside of US for lower cost of production.

Dongfeng Honda Automobile Company Wuhan, China Honda CR-V
Honda Civic
Honda Elysion
Honda Jade
Honda Spirior
Honda X-RV 2003
L Honda of America Mfg., Inc
(East Liberty Auto Plant) East Liberty, Ohio, USA Honda CR-V
Acura RDX
Acura MDX 1989 short distance from Marysville Auto Plant
2 Guangqi Honda Guangzhou, China Honda Accord
Honda City
Honda Crider
Honda Crosstour
Honda Fit
Honda Odyssey
Honda Vezel 1998 The first production line of Honda in China[1]
Honda Atlas Cars Pakistan Lahore, Pakistan Honda City
Honda Civic
Honda BR-V 1992
H Honda of Canada Manufacturing Alliston, Ontario, Canada Honda Civic
Honda CR-V 1986 2 car plants and engine plant supplying engines to Civics
E Honda Manufacturing of Indiana Greensburg, Indiana, United States Honda Civic
Honda CR-V (2017-)

Honda Insight (2019-)[2]

2008 Previously made Honda Civic Hybrid, Civic GX NGV (natural gas vehicle), and Acura ILX.
B Honda Manufacturing of Alabama Lincoln, Alabama, United States Honda Odyssey
Honda Pilot
Honda Passport
Honda Ridgeline
Honda J engine

2001 Previously made Honda Accord and Acura MDX
A[3] Honda of America Mfg., Inc. - Marysville Auto Plant
(Honda Performance Manufacturing Center)

Marysville, Ohio, United States Acura NSX
Honda Accord (2 Door & 4 Door)
Acura TLX
Acura ILX

1982 The first American Honda plant built for the resurrection of the NSX, and the latest assembly plant of Honda in the USA.
U Honda of the UK Manufacturing Swindon, United Kingdom Honda Civic
Honda CRV (to 2017)
Honda Jazz (to 2014) 1992

Exactly. That was my point. US Manufacturers aren't the only manufacturers to look outside their home country to build cars and that there are a bunch that actually come TO the US to manufacture. The (incorrect) message that I got from the original post was that Ford et al were moving out of the US because it was too expensive to build here. If that were the case, these other manufacturers wouldn't be coming here to build vehicles. That's all.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Detroit seems to be ditching cars and moving to the manufacture of 2 vehicle classes, Sport Utility Vehicles and Trucks.......it’s where the profit is. The Big Three chooses to locate their low profit small vehicle manufacturing in Mexico or China. Heck, Foriegn auto makers manufacture more cars in the US than US Auto makers, providing US manufacturing jobs, but perhaps moves their investment profits and potential lost tax dollars overseas. If EM ever completes a validated prototype with an engine/drive train, perhaps EM should consider manufacturing in China or Mexico and provide US jobs on the Dealership and Servicing side of the US jobs spectrum which would be better than nothing. There is no profit to be made in manufacturing small cars in the US according to the BIG Three auto manufacturers. It’s even more of a profit margin issue with EM’s marketed low MSRP which was to good to be true 10 years ago. It was that Marketing Campaign that got me hooked on the Elio back in 2008. Fortunately, I discovered a couple of alternatives while waiting.

Last edited:

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think another question is why are the foreign based companies moving to the south in the US? Obviously to get away from unions. I think there is a point where cheap labor is cheap results and expensive labor is no longer worth the high expense.

I think most makers build in the US to avoid tariffs. I hope I'm wrong.

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Detroit seems to be ditching cars and moving to the manufacture of 2 vehicle classes, Sport Utility Vehicles and Trucks.......it’s where the profit is. ...

I still think it's going to bite them like the 2008 crisis did, well not as bad. I don't trust analysts and Detroit to tell me what people want. I see foreign name cars on the road all day every day. I could be wrong, I probably am, but Detroit tried the big expensive vehicle game before and it almost ruined them.

edit-- Regarding China, I would buy a Chinese made Elio. I wouldn't love it as much but I would buy it. I bought a Toyota made in Japan and love it. When Detroit or the US in general makes something I want I'll buy it. Until then someone else will.

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
711E3D1D-A2C5-467F-BC30-225DCC1C4BB4.png
14A08429-9FED-4144-BC8B-E9C2FF2EA9C6.png
8576BE23-D532-482B-BED6-F229BCB0BA9F.jpeg
Here’s the roadster version of the Honda Sport EV concept!

In the next several years, auto makers are going to introduce dozens of new cool plug-in vehicles!

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 23377 View attachment 23378 View attachment 23379 Here’s the roadster version of the Honda Sport EV concept!

In the next several years, auto makers are going to introduce dozens of new cool plug-in vehicles!

I have been waiting for an electric Miata, but if it is the Honda then fine with me! I really want an electric Roadster that is fun to drive and actually affordable. The EMV Tofino looks nice but a 7 second 0-60 time is lame (the "underpowered" Miata does it in 5.7) and looks like they are planning a removable hardtop and not a built-in top. That is a deal breaker.

I am kind of an odd duck, though, since I really do not take road trips in my Miata so range is not that great of a concern. I fear that will keep EV convertibles off the market since taking a jaunt out to the country on a weekend is a little more difficult. We shall see!

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been waiting for an electric Miata, but if it is the Honda then fine with me! I really want an electric Roadster that is fun to drive and actually affordable. The EMV Tofino looks nice but a 7 second 0-60 time is lame (the "underpowered" Miata does it in 5.7) and looks like they are planning a removable hardtop and not a built-in top. That is a deal breaker.

I am kind of an odd duck, though, since I really do not take road trips in my Miata so range is not that great of a concern. I fear that will keep EV convertibles off the market since taking a jaunt out to the country on a weekend is a little more difficult. We shall see!

I suspect you’ll have quite a few fun EV roadsters to choose from in the next several years!

The EV revolution is gathering steam!

Top Bottom