• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

China Is Building Too Many Electric Cars

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been waiting for an electric Miata, but if it is the Honda then fine with me! I really want an electric Roadster that is fun to drive and actually affordable.

MG To Build Electric Roadster To Rival Mazda Miata
mg-e-motion-concept-898x505.jpg

It’s set to arrive before 2020.

Finally. MG, that British sports car maker that doesn’t make a sports car, is… well, making a sports car.

The Chinese-owned brand which has turned out mostly re-badged Chinese motors since its revival in the late 2000s is working on a sports car once again – an electric sports car.

The all-wheel-drive car will be similar in size to the sports car benchmark, the Mazda MX-5, but will no doubt weigh and cost more given its electric drivetrain.

“We are working on an MG two-seater sports car. This car will be a plug-in, totally new platform sports cars,” said MG head of design Shao Jinfeng.

The new sports car is one that 10-year Volkswagen veteran Jinfeng hopes can lead a revival for the brand, which has struggled in Britain, despite its well-heeled Chinese owners.

The main focus of MG’s sports car is yet to be determined, although outright acceleration over handling will likely be the direction given the increased weight an electric drivetrain brings.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Roadster, EV, AWD, and the same size as a Miata? Hell yes! Sign me up! Assuming they can keep the price sane. Not ready to pay over $50k for a commuter, yet :D

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been waiting for an electric Miata, but if it is the Honda then fine with me! I really want an electric Roadster that is fun to drive and actually affordable. The EMV Tofino looks nice but a 7 second 0-60 time is lame (the "underpowered" Miata does it in 5.7) and looks like they are planning a removable hardtop and not a built-in top. That is a deal breaker.

I am kind of an odd duck, though, since I really do not take road trips in my Miata so range is not that great of a concern. I fear that will keep EV convertibles off the market since taking a jaunt out to the country on a weekend is a little more difficult. We shall see!
The Tofino looks good, but no idea about performance and handling until after a test drive.
71FC5EF3-65E0-4BA3-8140-298D7224F22D.jpeg

What.........0-60mph in 7 seconds isn’t fast enough for your around town driving needs? :) Slow compared to the new Tesla Roadster’s 0-60mph in 1.2 seconds.

The difference might be the instant torque feel of an electric? I felt slammed back in the seat accelerating the Arcimoto during my test drive. Although, keep in mind, I also felt like I was piloting a spaceship. :) I’m saving for a down payment on the 2029 Tesla Roadster.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Tofino looks good, but no idea about performance and handling until after a test drive.
View attachment 23381
What.........0-60mph in 7 seconds isn’t fast enough for your around town driving needs? :) Slow compared to the new Tesla Roadster’s 0-60mph in 1.2 seconds.

The difference might be the instant torque feel of an electric? I felt slammed back in the seat accelerating the Arcimoto during my test drive. Although, keep in mind, I also felt like I was piloting a spaceship. :) I’m saving for a down payment on the 2029 Tesla Roadster.
And I'll be waiting in the wing while saving some money to buy your very used FUV when you take delivery of your 2029 Tesla Roadster! :whoo::D

Top Bottom