• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Canada

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Hi Smitty, welcome to the forum!

Not too many of us know much about buying a vehicle in the U.S. as a resident of Canada. Throw in the unknowns of when the Elio will start production in the U.S. for us Americans, and the unknowns of if Canada will consider the vehicle as a motorcycle. And, well... that's a lot of unknowns! lol

Removing some of the unknowns: "IF" Canada says it's a motorcycle and "IF" there are no governmental road blocks to get the purchased Elio into Canada, right now Elio Motors is saying that production will start in 4th quarter of this year.

Personally, and you might find several people in this forum that agree, I think we'll hear in the next 6 weeks that production has been delayed to 1st or 2nd qtr of 2017.

Unfortunately, it'll be many months from now before there will be info available to answer your question. Wish we could be of more help.

Smitty

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Smitty, welcome to the forum!

Not too many of us know much about buying a vehicle in the U.S. as a resident of Canada. Throw in the unknowns of when the Elio will start production in the U.S. for us Americans, and the unknowns of if Canada will consider the vehicle as a motorcycle. And, well... that's a lot of unknowns! lol

Removing some of the unknowns: "IF" Canada says it's a motorcycle and "IF" there are no governmental road blocks to get the purchased Elio into Canada, right now Elio Motors is saying that production will start in 4th quarter of this year.

Personally, and you might find several people in this forum that agree, I think we'll hear in the next 6 weeks that production has been delayed to 1st or 2nd qtr of 2017.

Unfortunately, it'll be many months from now before there will be info available to answer your question. Wish we could be of more help.
I came here for something fun to do while waiting (Patiently?). Thats all the help I need. Thanks guys and gals!

Crazydog

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. I've been lurking for about a year now. Just wondering how long will it be for the Elio to make it to Canada after its initial release?

Welcome. I wanted to take mine as soon as I picked it up to Nova Scotia . I read somewhere that Canadian law was somewhat an obstacle. The current law prohibits an enclosed motorcycle. Do not know if this is true or accurate or where I read it. Perhaps the Elio will not be classified as a motorcycle but as an automobile . I go frequently to Nova Scotia and want to drive my new Elio there but putting obstacles in order, the first hurdle is getting my Elio here. I hope you can shed some light on the laws concerning this vehicle in Canada Welcome again

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Apparently the Elio does not comply with Canada's MC definition:

image.jpeg

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/infosheets-three-wheel-5318.htm

Crazydog

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Would You expect Canada to not allow a US licensed vehicle? What would Canada do? Stop You from crossing the border?
The answer would be to know their law prior to driving all the way to border. What is legal in one country is not always legal in another. Example, carry concealed in many states legally but I know I cannot cross that border with a legal U.S. Pistol and permit. Driving vehicles in Canada have certain laws I think are a little quirky but I am in their country , their laws. I only passed on a concern I remember reading or perhaps told to me by Canadian bikers while there concerning the Elio. Perhaps our new member will know if this " motorcycle enclosure" is a valid law or concern

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What does the Canadian automobile definition look like? Our friends to the north may not have the same < 4 wheels classification issue we have here.

Crazydog

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Top Bottom