• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Bike Rack

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand this is a big development as I know EM has directly said they were working on supporting a hitch in the past. I myself would like to be able to tow a small lightweight trailer but I still think a hitch will be available via the aftermarket even if it is not officially supported just like motorcycle hitches are available even though most motorcycle manufacturers do not recommend towing.
Given it's come straight out of Paul's mouth that the vehicle will be unstable if used for towing they'd be beyond foolish if the designed attachment points or provided anyone with info to design a receiver. Once they've said it isn't safe if they do anything to aid in doing that unsafe activity they might as well hand the keys to the factory over to the first guy who gets in an accident while towing with his Elio.

In fact as I've said in the past some bike warranties are void if a receiver is attached. Given this new information I can't see how EM would not do that.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't care if it is on top or on the back but the ability to add a bike rack would be fantastic. I believe a lot of Elio fans are fun loving adventurous sorts, many of them probably leading their lives in an active way that might include biking. Just hopeful...
A rack on top should not be a problem with that bragged about steel cage .. don't worry if it actually happens there will be after market gadget companies eager to take your money.. I remember back in the 80's I bought a Samuri.. didn't take long before my mail box filled up with magazines full of stuff for it

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Given it's come straight out of Paul's mouth that the vehicle will be unstable if used for towing they'd be beyond foolish if the designed attachment points or provided anyone with info to design a receiver. Once they've said it isn't safe if they do anything to aid in doing that unsafe activity they might as well hand the keys to the factory over to the first guy who gets in an accident while towing with his Elio.

In fact as I've said in the past some bike warranties are void if a receiver is attached. Given this new information I can't see how EM would not do that.

I don't know where you are getting the unstable vehicle bit. All Paul said was that Elio Motors would not offer a hitch because they do not want to spend the extra money and time to program the stability control system to handle a trailer. This does not mean the vehicle is unstable. If you want to tow you may just have to disable to stability control while doing so to prevent any issues.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
A rack on top should not be a problem with that bragged about steel cage .. don't worry if it actually happens there will be after market gadget companies eager to take your money.. I remember back in the 80's I bought a Samuri.. didn't take long before my mail box filled up with magazines full of stuff for it

I also expect to see a lot of aftermarket accessories for this vehicle. Just look at what is available for the Can-Am Spyder which is a relatively low production vehicle and you can only imagine what will be available for this vehicle which should be made in much larger numbers.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know where you are getting the unstable vehicle bit. All Paul said was that Elio Motors would not offer a hitch because they do not want to spend the extra money and time to program the stability control system to handle a trailer. This does not mean the vehicle is unstable. If you want to tow you may just have to disable to stability control while doing so to prevent any issues.

Current plan, straight from Paul, is no receiver. The Electronic Stability Control would need to be reprogrammed, creating a six-month delay...
That is the same as saying the vehicle will be unstable.

And the first time one gets in an accident the company who made the receiver looses everything.

If you are involved in an accident in which you were using equipment as not intended by the manufacturer your insurance will be void and you'll lose everything. This includes bolting on an aftermarket hitch or god forbid disabling the stability control.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I also expect to see a lot of aftermarket accessories for this vehicle. Just look at what is available for the Can-Am Spyder which is a relatively low production vehicle and you can only imagine what will be available for this vehicle which should be made in much larger numbers.
If you check out motorcycle hitches , the better ones pivet sideways.. remember dude Mororcycles have more hp than the Elio, also get way less mpg which kind of makes me wonder how the gearing will be in the Elio.. would not be able to pull much if they slap a 1:50 to ! transaxel in it to achieve the 80 mpg..that would be like taking off in third or 4th gear in you Can-Am..or family car

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
That is the same as saying the vehicle will be unstable.

And the first time one gets in an accident the company who made the receiver looses everything.

If you are involved in an accident in which you were using equipment as not intended by the manufacturer your insurance will be void and you'll lose everything. This includes bolting on an aftermarket hitch or god forbid disabling the stability control.

I think you are misunderstanding what a vehicle stability control system does. These systems have nothing to do with the inherent stability, or instability, of a vehicle and are instead intended to aid the driver in maintaining control in adverse driving conditions. The issue is that an extra force like a trailer could possibly make these system believe there is something wrong and make them activate when you dont need them which could cause issues.

Aftermarket hitches are routinely available and installed in all types of vehicles without issues with liability both for the manufacturer and with insurance companies. If this was not the case these companies would have gone out of business a long time ago and people would never install aftermarket hitches.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If you check out motorcycle hitches , the better ones pivet sideways.. remember dude Mororcycles have more hp than the Elio, also get way less mpg which kind of makes me wonder how the gearing will be in the Elio.. would not be able to pull much if they slap a 1:50 to ! transaxel in it to achieve the 80 mpg..that would be like taking off in third or 4th gear in you Can-Am..or family car

I agree that Elio owners won't be towing a heavy trailer with these vehicles as it just will not be possible but 300 lbs or so should work just fine.
Motorcycles may have more power however they also face severally limited towing capacity due to their own light weight and final drive gearing.

Last edited:

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think you are misunderstanding what a vehicle stability control system does. These systems have nothing to do with the inherent stability, or instability, of a vehicle and are instead intended to aid the driver in maintaining control in adverse driving conditions. The issue is that an extra force like a trailer could possibly make these system believe there is something wrong and make them activate when you dont need them to which could cause issues.

Aftermarket hitches are routinely available and installed in all types of vehicles without issues with liability both for the manufacturer and with insurance companies. If this was not the case these companies would have gone out of business a long time ago and people would never install aftermarket hitches.
I know exactly what's being discussed. It might have been more accurate to say antilock brakes.

It's toast stick a fork in it. The designer has said it's not tow-worthy. It doesn't matter who does what with some other cycle or who makes what aftermarket part.

At this point with what has been said if you use the Elio to tow you'll be using it in a manner not intended by the manufacturer and your insurance will be void.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
It's toast stick a fork in it. The designer has said it's not tow-worthy. It doesn't matter who does what with some other cycle or who makes what aftermarket part.

He has said just the opposite, he pretty much said it could be done but they would not spend the money to program the computer to allow it to be done. Liability concerns could play a part in this decision but that is back to money and not the vehicle itself.

Top Bottom