• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Are You Completely Happy With The Design Of Elio?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tostart with, I have never once hit my door on the gas pump.

With the filler cap on the driver side, I can pump gas 13 seconds quicker in my honda than my ford(not including when I pull up to the wrong side in the ford...)

Multiply that over the life of the vehicle and you get a huge chunk of time saved.

In no world is walking around to the passenger side to fill the car quicker, safer or more convenient than if it's on the driver side.
No argument can be made against this statement.(logical, that is)

In conclusion, the decision to put the fuel filler on the least efficient side of this hyper efficient vehicle is illogical... <3

Join me in the fight against counter productivity!!!

Hypothetically, if you run out of gas on the highway, you'd be glad the filler was on the r/h side of the vehicle. I can't believe this is even a serious issue with people. :frusty: And if it takes you a whole 13 seconds to walk 6', you need to pick up the pace a little.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hypothetically, if you run out of gas on the highway, you'd be glad the filler was on the r/h side of the vehicle. I can't believe this is even a serious issue with people. :frusty: And if it takes you a whole 13 seconds to walk 6', you need to pick up the pace a little.
I can't believe he'd actually time it!
Plus, at 13 seconds, that's like 22 minutes per year. I'd hate to be so busy that I can't spare 22 minutes in a year. I spend more time than that looking for clean socks!
Man, I've got to get my life more organized...

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tostart with, I have never once hit my door on the gas pump.

With the filler cap on the driver side, I can pump gas 13 seconds quicker in my honda than my ford(not including when I pull up to the wrong side in the ford...)

Multiply that over the life of the vehicle and you get a huge chunk of time saved.

In no world is walking around to the passenger side to fill the car quicker, safer or more convenient than if it's on the driver side.
No argument can be made against this statement.(logical, that is)

In conclusion, the decision to put the fuel filler on the least efficient side of this hyper efficient vehicle is illogical... <3

Join me in the fight against counter productivity!!!
Respectfully...

ROTFLMAO! ;)

You are indeed an exceptional person if you've never once in your life bumped your door on the guard post...
And/or never had difficulty squeezing out of the door because you parked too close.

How about this...
The passenger compartment doesn't smell like gasoline fumes when you've filled from the passenger side...
Unless a passenger has gotten in or out and/or had their window down.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Respectfully...

ROTFLMAO! ;)

You are indeed an exceptional person if you've never once in your life bumped your door on the guard post...
And/or had difficulty squeezing out of the door because you parked too close.

How about this...
The passenger compartment doesn't smell like gasoline fumes when you've filled from the passenger side...
Unless a passenger has gotten in or out and/or had their window down.
And... in the EXTREMELY RARE case, if there were a fire at the pump and nozzle, you haven't just blocked the ONLY DOOR with fire!

"Honey, get out! The car is on fire. Just push the drivers door up, here's the key so you can turn it to accessory to get power on to the window to open it... DOH... I can't get the door open to hand the key to you because of the fire! Wait a minute while I find something to bash open the window. {BASH} Now, just push the driver's seat up and shimmy and wedge your way out the window. Watch the broken glass. Come on, upper body strength much?... Regretting sitting on the couch all the time now, aren't you, honey?... I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Get out!!!"

--OR--

"Honey, the car is on fire. Let me open the door and let you out from the side away from the fire. And, get off the couch occasionally! Maybe do some push-aways... You know, push away from the dinner table. I kid... Get out now. {OW! What was that for?}" (I couldn't just let the opportunity pass. The doghouse is kind of comfortable.)

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And/or had difficulty squeezing out of the door because you parked too close.
I just did this yesterday. :) Turns out I didn't pull quite as far forward as I thought I had.

I don't care what side the stupid fuel filler is on. I have both right now, and it makes no f'ing difference whatsoever.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hypothetically, if you run out of gas on the highway, you'd be glad the filler was on the r/h side of the vehicle.

In a similar vein, I am surprised that the rear wheel opening is on the left side. It could have just as easily been on the right side, and safer when on the side of the road fixing a flat.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In a similar vein, I am surprised that the rear wheel opening is on the left side. It could have just as easily been on the right side, and safer when on the side of the road fixing a flat.

It would require a complete redesign of the rear swing arm and shock assembly.
There might have been a technical reason for that configuration. (right side shock brake, etc.)

Top Bottom