• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Is anyone else participating in the seti germany wow! event? Or a Seti@Home user? I am user name "Oz" both places. Not doing as well this year as I was last, no budget for hardware or electricity... Seti@Home is still the absolute gold standard for stress testing IMHO, even better than Prime95.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Is anyone else participating in the seti germany wow! event? Or a Seti@Home user? I am user name "Oz" both places. Not doing as well this year as I was last, no budget for hardware or electricity... Seti@Home is still the absolute gold standard for stress testing IMHO, even better than Prime95.

I used to when my computer was considered fast, now it is too slow.

Coss

Staff member
How about some T-shirts that only a Geek would wear or understand:

16itdepartment[1].jpg

20iknowhtml[1].jpg

22updateavailable[1].jpg

29bugfeature[1].jpg

33homewifi[1].jpg

Continued on next post

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
No place like 127.0.0.1, nice!

It appears I did not shine in the WOW event this year...

Link to my WOW event stats.

It is interesting (to me, anyway) that my final position is almost the same as my world standing in the Seti at Home project... of course a few more people participate in the project!

floydv

Elio Addict
Whoever built this replica did a LOUSY job of sanding down the plywood! NO WAY am I mistaking that for some futuristic console!
That's the original console from the original ST show. It took a lot of refurbishing just to get it back to display quality.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
I don't think the author knows what the meaning of "obsolete" is. It's a list of "10 things I didn't know where still being used."

There are several things on that list that are still used because there is still a need for them that no other technology can fulfill. Dot matrix printers, for example. Still used for several different applications, including multipart printing for businesses, and printing those mailers you get where you have to rip the sides off to open.

Interesting that he listed audio tape, but totally ignored vinyl LPs, which are still quite popular among a certain audiophile set.

In particular, though, he seems to completely ignore the fact that a lot of people just aren't comfortable with certain pieces of technology. Fax machines are straightforward devices that almost anyone can manage to make work. How do you replace that in an economical fashion with something that a technophobe can use? Multifunction printer/scanners are either notoriously unreliable or stupidly expensive. (Or both, if you're unlucky.) I've had to fix so many for the various people I know that I can't stand the damn things anymore. I can only imagine handing some of the people I know a signed document and a smartphone, telling them to send someone a copy of that document. They'd freak out, and the recipient would probably end up with 12 blurry pictures of a desktop, and a few accidental selfies. Not to mention that smartphones cost several hundred dollars, and have to be replaced every couple of years.

Meh... overall, the article was ignorant and elitist.