• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

After Job Losses Local Lawmaker Wants Elio Investigation

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Getting back on topic, in the Elio release from Jan 3, 2013 they said: "Elio Motors, founded in 2008, will occupy one-third of the three million acre site.....". I wonder why local lawmakers aren't complaining that the other two thirds are not apparently doing anything. Seems like they could have rented some of it out by now. Maybe they have, I just haven't found it yet.
Right... They are concerned about "lost" jobs. Well, GM lost them. They were gone LONG before Elio got in there. Elio did not lose any jobs. I understand that Elio hasn't hired people and that they promised to bring jobs. Elio did not lose any jobs. They haven't created any in Louisiana either but they haven't lost any...

Payless is closing 9 stores in Louisiana
Sears is closing 1 store in Louisiana
KMart is closing 1 store in Louisiana
Rite Aid is closing 5 stores in Louisiana (in Shreveport, actually)
WalMart is closing 8 stores in Louisiana
JCPenny is closing 3 stores in Louisiana
Winn-Dixie is closing 3 stores in Louisiana
Rue21 is closing 21 stores in Louisiana
Hhgregg is closing 3 stores in Louisiana

The list continues (that's 54 stores in just my short list).
But hey, Louisiana - go after the ONE place trying to OPEN a business in Louisiana.

Perspective. Some have lost it.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Getting back on topic, in the Elio release from Jan 3, 2013 they said: "Elio Motors, founded in 2008, will occupy one-third of the three million acre site.....". I wonder why local lawmakers aren't complaining that the other two thirds are not apparently doing anything. Seems like they could have rented some of it out by now. Maybe they have, I just haven't found it yet.

Well, they have rented it out to other companies recently. That said, the issue is political grandstanding that does have some weight because they did have other companies interested in moving in, but were turned away in order to give the space to Elio. When constituents are upset with the lack of jobs, you have to make it look like you're doing something...even if what you're doing doesn't realistically amount to anything. Elio is an easy target due to the missed deadlines.

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, they have rented it out to other companies recently. That said, the issue is political grandstanding that does have some weight because they did have other companies interested in moving in, but were turned away in order to give the space to Elio. When constituents are upset with the lack of jobs, you have to make it look like you're doing something...even if what you're doing doesn't realistically amount to anything. Elio is an easy target due to the missed deadlines.

Methinks that Stu is the common denominator; he is essentially the leaseholder/manager for the facility and is on the Elio Motors Board of Directors. Certainly the Caddo Commissioners know all this, and know that there are also intricate financial dealings throughout this entire arrangement. The Caddo Commission isn't sophisticated enough (compounded by the recent obscene tirade of the new Commisioner-in-charge) to follow the ball so they need to go for the best and easiest target, knowing that Stu is involved in it all, at some level.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Right... They are concerned about "lost" jobs. Well, GM lost them. They were gone LONG before Elio got in there. Elio did not lose any jobs. I understand that Elio hasn't hired people and that they promised to bring jobs. Elio did not lose any jobs. They haven't created any in Louisiana either but they haven't lost any...

But hey, Louisiana - go after the ONE place trying to OPEN a business in Louisiana.

Best post of the month!

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Methinks that Stu is the common denominator; he is essentially the leaseholder/manager for the facility and is on the Elio Motors Board of Directors. Certainly the Caddo Commissioners know all this, and know that there are also intricate financial dealings throughout this entire arrangement. The Caddo Commission isn't sophisticated enough (compounded by the recent obscene tirade of the new Commisioner-in-charge) to follow the ball so they need to go for the best and easiest target, knowing that Stu is involved in it all, at some level.
IDB, ergo Caddo Parish, signed the long-term lease agreement with SBP/IRG knowing that Stu was the big power kahuna on the Elio board.
What did they think was going to happen when it came down to throwing EM to the curb in favor of another tenant ready to move in?
C'mon. They made their bed and now they refuse to sleep in it or take any responsibility for their own actions in all of this.

The lease contract doesn't hold SBP/IRG accountable for failure to place hiring tenants in the building until Dec. '18.

Oops.

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Thanks be to G-D Pep Boys isn't on the list!!

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
More on the Paul - Caddo Parish commissioners meeting
Clip from this
SHREVEPORT, La. -

The head of Elio Motors has asked to meet with Caddo Parish commissioners later this week to discuss his troubled car company and its relationship here.

Paul Elio plans to be in town on Thursday and Friday and wants to meet with commissioners individually, Commissioner Matthew Linn said today.

Parish commissioners and the parish administration are under increasing scrutiny about their 2013 decision to buy the old General Motors plant for $7.5 million and lease it to a private investor for development.

Elio promised to build a three-wheel car here but that car has not come to fruition and the company's financial position is become increasingly precarious, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

By meeting individually with Elio, commissioners would not be subject to a public meeting requirement. Linn said the Caddo Parish attorney, who is setting up the meetings, said Elio is asking commissioners to sign a non-disclosure agreement not to discuss what is said in those meetings.

Linn said some commissioners have agreed to meet with Elio but others have declined. Linn said he would be willing to do so, but would not sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
More on the Paul - Caddo Parish commissioners meeting
Clip from this
SHREVEPORT, La. -

The head of Elio Motors has asked to meet with Caddo Parish commissioners later this week to discuss his troubled car company and its relationship here.

Paul Elio plans to be in town on Thursday and Friday and wants to meet with commissioners individually, Commissioner Matthew Linn said today.

Parish commissioners and the parish administration are under increasing scrutiny about their 2013 decision to buy the old General Motors plant for $7.5 million and lease it to a private investor for development.

Elio promised to build a three-wheel car here but that car has not come to fruition and the company's financial position is become increasingly precarious, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

By meeting individually with Elio, commissioners would not be subject to a public meeting requirement. Linn said the Caddo Parish attorney, who is setting up the meetings, said Elio is asking commissioners to sign a non-disclosure agreement not to discuss what is said in those meetings.

Linn said some commissioners have agreed to meet with Elio but others have declined. Linn said he would be willing to do so, but would not sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Yeah.. That guy. I don't want to meet with someone because we don't have an agreement with them. So, why would it hurt to meet with him? I don't get that. Why not just meet with Paul and see what he has to say? It's not like he even needs to report what the meeting is about since they don't have an agreement with them. Sounds like a little kid plugging his ears so he doesn't have to listen to reason.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps another question would be why Paul Elio is requiring a non-disclosure to be signed. The SEC rules, or maybe he is trying to tie their hands if he has bad news? I hope he has good news and this will all soon be forgotten and forgiven.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it is bad news, why would Paul even offer to meet with them with a non-disclosure. I would think he would agree to meet, but only discuss public info.

Top Bottom