• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Diesel?

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember reading a similar discussion on a Smart board way back when the Smart was THE small car to have. The reason they had a diesel engine in Europe but not one here (or so the poster said) was that American emission standards treated the diesel like a gasoline (petrol) engine. It was something about how to get a diesel certified in the US they had to muddle with the design so much it didn't become cost efficient to get it certified in the US. This was done to make sure the US auto/engine makers (who specialized in gasoline) would always be preferred to diesel (where the Europeans have dominance). If the US would simply accept European emission standards for diesel then we'd see a LOT more diesel being used in the US.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember reading a similar discussion on a Smart board way back when the Smart was THE small car to have. The reason they had a diesel engine in Europe but not one here (or so the poster said) was that American emission standards treated the diesel like a gasoline (petrol) engine. It was something about how to get a diesel certified in the US they had to muddle with the design so much it didn't become cost efficient to get it certified in the US. This was done to make sure the US auto/engine makers (who specialized in gasoline) would always be preferred to diesel (where the Europeans have dominance). If the US would simply accept European emission standards for diesel then we'd see a LOT more diesel being used in the US .

ALL OF THE SMART CARS SOLD IN CANADA ARE DIESELS .
NONE OF THE ONES SOLD IN THE USA ARE .

IN FACT , WE GOT THE LEAST FUEL EFFICIENT ENGINE WHAT WAS AVAILABLE .
NOT SURE WHY , THE DIESEL MODELS ARE QUITE ROADWORTHY AND PLENTY QUICK ENOUGH .

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could make a new super efficient diesel. I could achieve 65-90% efficiency and beyond. It would be able to run on strait bio-oil from hemp, or algae, (purified French fry oil) . It would be scalable. An Elio version would be very good and get incredible gas mileage. If it were an aircraft engine it would be smaller and lighter than a gasoline engine but with more parts(ie. turbo chargers and intercooler, supercharger etc), however the total weight and size would be similar. Same holds true for automobile engines. It would be extremely easy to work on in a garage. It would have far less parts. When made, it could rival gasoline engine price because of its simplicity, though high quality very advanced materials would be used like ceramics and carbon composite. Not a four stroke but a 2 stroke. Unlike any engine you have seen, but the best of all out there. I could also make the elio 3 wheel drive (AWD) with a hydraulic transmission. All would last a long time.

Aw man, he came by for just one post. Maybe he is working on his 90% efficient prototype?

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ALL OF THE SMART CARS SOLD IN CANADA ARE DIESELS .
NONE OF THE ONES SOLD IN THE USA ARE .

IN FACT , WE GOT THE LEAST FUEL EFFICIENT ENGINE WHAT WAS AVAILABLE .
NOT SURE WHY , THE DIESEL MODELS ARE QUITE ROADWORTHY AND PLENTY QUICK ENOUGH .
It all comes down to emission standards and the desire of the big 4 automakers to keep diesel as a specialty engine in the auto market.

And, Dude, please learn to use the red "REPLY" button so the original message you are replying to shows up as a quote. That's how I got your message to show up as a quote. Makes it easier to separate your statements from someone else'.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And, Dude, please learn to use the red "REPLY" button so the original message you are replying to shows up as a quote. That's how I got your message to show up as a quote. Makes it easier to separate your statements from someone else'.

Is the "REPLY" button right next to the "CAPS LOCK" key? If so, that might be the problem ;)

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is the "REPLY" button right next to the "CAPS LOCK" key? If so, that might be the problem ;)
The "caps lock" doesn't bother me so much, as some of us, particularly with histories of performing in rock bands, are approaching the age where our kids are mumbling just to annoy us. Using the Caps Lock just helps us understand them a little better.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Meh, don't be so hard on DAVID. He is the way he is, it's no big deal.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
We all have our quirks and habits. There are other members that like to include their reply within the original quote.
It not up to him to change for you, or you to change for him.
David is DAVID and that's the way it is, get over it.

Top Bottom