• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2015 Tanom Invader 197hp. Usa Built.

cantwait

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Backup cameras have more to do with reducing the number of children who get run over in driveways and parking lots. Most of these would not have been prevented if people turned their heads, because children are not always visible behind a car or truck.

Every week in the US, fifty kids are backed over. Two per week are killed.
That's only part of the data. The projections indicated that installing backup cameras will save about 60 lives per year by 2054, as the cameras are eventually installed on all vehicles.
About 15+ million vehicles are sold per year in the U.S.A., and the cameras probably average about $40 each.

Result, for a cost of $600 million per year, about 60 lives per year (after a 37 year ramp-up) would potentially be saved. Ie, $10 million per potential life saved.

While every life is precious, it could be argued that there are probably other alternative investments/expenditures that would save more than 1 life per $10 million.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Result, for a cost of $600 million per year, about 60 lives per year (after a 37 year ramp-up) would potentially be saved. Ie, $10 million per potential life saved.

While every life is precious, it could be argued that there are probably other alternative investments/expenditures that would save more than 1 life per $10 million.
The life that my backup camera saves is most likely to be that of one of my kids. That's worth a hell of a lot more to me than $10M.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A functional backup camera on an autocycle that has no rearview mirror makes sense. Although, walking around the vehicle to doule check for kids and the elderly is also a good idea.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can find backup cameras for $20. Of course, that doesn't include the monitor, of course. I always look around before I get in and back up. Sometimes, I'll have to ask my wife, "Hey, did that Elderly couple go past yet?" or some sort just to make sure there is no one I could hit. Of course, the rear sensors tell me that without having to have the camera involved anyway. The camera just lets me know who or what is setting off the sensors.

Come to think about it, wouldn't just having the sensors on cars do the same effective thing a camera does? I mean as far as saving lives. If the sensor goes off, you stop... same as you would if you saw something in the camera.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I want to build one of those rear-view periscopes like some supercars have. Oh, and make it look like R2-D2. And maybe include a dash-cam and a couple other gizmos to boot.

Because I'm a nerd.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I want to build one of those rear-view periscopes like some supercars have. Oh, and make it look like R2-D2. And maybe include a dash-cam and a couple other gizmos to boot.

Because I'm a nerd.

Here ya go Seth! Nobody's sneaking up on your blind spot with one of these babies!

google_maps_street_view_camera1116.jpg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

Because I'm a nerd.
That's pretty much what a backup camera is; just mount a monitor on the back of the sun visor. :thumb:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_yfMQQ-d0iXRRT9ZGpZyQHP-PUjn8g59PB3cJWSll8kOuDP1z.jpg

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wasn't the "Phantom" recently on the series "Sharks"? They ALL invested, first time I have seen that action from the panel.

Willie

Top Bottom