• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

120 Mpg Elio? Parts Availabe Online...

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Adding a turbo to the elio engine would increase power but decrease mpg. The turbo forces more air into the engine to burn more fuel.

When turbos increase mpg, is when an engine is very small and the turbo allows a "normal" amount of fuel to be burned. Because the engine is small, its friction losses are smaller making it more efficient and increasing mpg.

Pitonboy you might enjoy this article.
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_109931/article.html?popularArticle
Also you might read the first part of my signature where I installed a turbo on a 1L engine and tested with 2 other "Stock" 1L Insights.
I am a believer.
I have the best of two worlds, economy and better performance.
Merry Christmas
Willie

Mrtoycrazy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pitonboy you might enjoy this article.
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_109931/article.html?popularArticle
Also you might read the first part of my signature where I installed a turbo on a 1L engine and tested with 2 other "Stock" 1L Insights.
I am a believer.
I have the best of two worlds, economy and better performance.
Merry Christmas
Willie
I know in the case of my 06 Solstice 2.4 rated at 177 hp at the crank , it was naturally aspirated and all I could get out of it was 21 mpg. I went with a turbo system and am now at 313 hp at the rear wheels and if I don't play too much ,I get 28 to 32 mpg . Turbo and tune amazing what you can get.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
No matter what as this vehicle already provides extreme fuel efficiency the only reason to install a turbo is for fun as even if there are some fuel cost savings the math would not be in your favor to spend the money on a turbo as the car would not likely last long enough for a pay back. If you drive 15,000 miles a year and average 60 MPG you would only use 250 gallons of fuel for the year which even at $4/gallon would be $1,000. Even if you could save 25% that would only be $250 in savings per year compared to the cost of a turbo kit which generally run several thousand dollars.

Personally I think people will be disappointed in a turbo Elio engine if they expect more fuel efficiency. The problem is that unlike the examples given this engine is powering a very light vehicle with an engine which is already designed specifically to maximize MPG. This purpose built IAV/Elio engine already includes engineering it in a way, long stroke/small-bore, which provides for enough low end power in order to solve the very problem which people are finding turbos useful for in improving MPG in other vehicles.

Last edited:

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yea, now I'm going to rush out and buy something that gets 10 mpg.:rolleyes:

Yep gas went down a bit , I am selling the ELIO contact and running out to buy the biggest SUV I can find and a Camper to pull behind it.
Second though yall go head I'm sticking with the ELIO.
As for stick some after market Turbo on the ELIO , unlike it would hold up long. Engines need to either be built with a turbo in mind or have many parts strengthened to stand up to it. I have seen the results of trying it the low cost route on motorcycles.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you don't go crazy on the "Boost", a stock engine can last with a turbo. It's how you drive and the preventive maintenance.
I've set the LRR with a limit of 6 pounds of boost but can produce over 14 pounds from the size of the turbo..
You start adding high "Boost" then you will maybe see damage because of needed internal improvements. Racers run 20+.
Cost can be be a little high, but not if you are conservative....I'm not cheap, just frugel.

Willie

MrThadeus

Reaction score
Adds complexity without any payback, I recently owned the Brabus smart Car and with some minor tweaks and tunes, Namely adding KN filter and hotter spark plugs as well as some minor computer enhancements to the throttle control. With about $200 in mods the smart car jumped from low 40mpg range to the high 60mpg range in spirited highway driving and was able to stay with or surpass performance of many small factory "sport" coupes. I can hardly wait to get my hands on this Elio to see what the real potential is.
Those of you Harley fans already know the benefits of good tuning and breathability. The key is to retain compression and optimize fuel settings. Hotter plugs and More air into the engine while still retaining enough pressure in the intake and exhaust to get every ounce of energy out of the fuel is the goal. I run a 2014 FLHTK that after a bit of very minor tuning and tweaking, including a hotfire plug the KN breather kit and a set of 3" rush 2to1 pipes idles without any vibration (can't hardly tell it's running until you hit the throttle other than the windows vibrating in the garage) and went immediately from the factory estimated 45mpg to 70mpg running @75mph on the interstate and will put many performance centered bikes to shame accelerating from 60-120 on freeway. Simple and efficient beats complicated and expensive every time...

Top Bottom