• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

With Gas Prices Falling, Will That Impact Sales Of High Eff Cars?

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The price of gas was not a factor in my decision to reserve my Elio. I was fascinated by it's design, innovation, and the 4 principles of Paul Elio, (5-star crash standards, 84 MPG, $6800, 90% US made). I am also motivated by the creation of US jobs and a vehicle that challenges the auto manufactures bailed out at the tax payers expense.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The price of gas was not a factor in my decision to reserve my Elio. I was fascinated by it's design, innovation, and the 4 principles of Paul Elio, (5-star crash standards, 84 MPG, $6800, 90% US made). I am also motivated by the creation of US jobs and a vehicle that challenges the auto manufactures bailed out at the tax payers expense.
I agree with you Jim. When I first saw the Elio on the local news at a Knoxville showing in March, I HAD to have one. I actually had trouble sleeping until I had one reserved. My first $100.00 all in reservation was worth every penny just to get some sleep!:)

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you Jim. When I first saw the Elio on the local news at a Knoxville showing in March, I HAD to have one. I actually had trouble sleeping until I had one reserved. My first $100.00 all in reservation was worth every penny just to get some sleep!:)
Never heard of the Elio until I went to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta in early October 2013 where I saw and sat in the P3 Elio. Just like you I knew I had to have one and immediately made my initial $100 reservation. If you were like me, the sleepless nights increased as I saw the number of "all-in" reservations and me being pushed farther down the distribution line. Continued to upgrade my reservation until I was able to get my number. Now I sleep much better knowing I have a firm place in line and can project when I get mine based on the initial production date.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It may influence short sighted people that just want that big SUV or truck. It will justify them buying it . But prices will go back up. If not due to oil due to taxes. There are those now in power that are going nuts because gas is not $7.00 a gallon

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ups and downs of gas prices are irelevent to me. Not that it doesnt hurt the wallet, but that I know the overall trend is UP. No other way to see it. No mater what it costs, the Elio will use a lot less of it ,so I can go more without stressin on the expense. I have been waiting over 10 years for a vehicle that had enough advantage to make ecconomic sense to buy. Paul Elio has hit a home run for me, and I would not have cared ,within reason, what it looked like ! If it looked like a Pacer, I would just get the windows tinted, real dark :)

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

I'm curious as to what percentage will actually be US made. I know the website specifically says "North American" but I'm fearing a big chunk would be made in Mexico, as many parts are these days. Anyone have an idea of the breakdown, yet? It's probably far too early to know I imagine. I do believe Paul's committed to US made products, but whether they're going to actually account for around 90% of the parts, I'm skeptical due to that phrasing. I still think it's likely to be well over 50% US made, however.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what percentage will actually be US made. I know the website specifically says "North American" but I'm fearing a big chunk would be made in Mexico, as many parts are these days. Anyone have an idea of the breakdown, yet? It's probably far too early to know I imagine. I do believe Paul's committed to US made products, but whether they're going to actually account for around 90% of the parts, I'm skeptical due to that phrasing. I still think it's likely to be well over 50% US made, however.
If I remember correctly the amount was originally more than 90% until they had to give up on getting a North American ac. I do believe it will be around 90% rather than the suggested 50%. I haven't heard much about Mexico but have heard of Canadian parts possibly being used. I could be wrong. :-) Z

Top Bottom