• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

With Gas Prices Falling, Will That Impact Sales Of High Eff Cars?

Puna bob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
As I recall the last time Gas was cheap people were out buying Hummers with big rebates.
Then gas went up so fast they couldn't afford to drive them. I'm kind of a minimalist in that I don't want
more than is needed to do the job comfortably, If it were up to me I'd still be cranking down windows.

Having retired as an aerospace engineer, I've seen first hand what too much automation can do (or fail to do)

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Puna bob, I so agree. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'll treat you to a beverage of your choice :)

As I recall the last time Gas was cheap people were out buying Hummers with big rebates.
Then gas went up so fast they couldn't afford to drive them. I'm kind of a minimalist in that I don't want
more than is needed to do the job comfortably, If it were up to me I'd still be cranking down windows.

Having retired as an aerospace engineer, I've seen first hand what too much automation can do (or fail to do)

Always ask, what happens when ??????? quits working ? If the answer is "really bad thing", there should be much more thought invested before using ??????? thing for the task :)

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have already heard reports how big truck sales have taken off, even though the gas price change is likely only temporary.

It will slow again. What comes down will go back up......

Amazing, just amazing :rolleyes: , when it goes back up a qurter, wonder if they will trade it in for a Prious?

Puna bob, I so agree. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'll treat you to a beverage of your choice :)

Always ask, what happens when ??????? quits working ? If the answer is "really bad thing", there should be much more thought invested before using ??????? thing for the task :)

Just wait for the pendulum to swing the other way AGAIN :D

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
We Americans are addicted to gasoline. Plain and simple. For most people, that addiction means that they don't seek a way to reduce the money that is spent on gasoline. Yet when gas prices go down, short-term memory still reigns supreme, and they feed that addiction and buy gas guzzlers. Then when gas goes back up soon, they'll go back to ignoring how much they (really) spend on gasoline. Many Americans will gladly increase their debt to have gas guzzlers. Doesn't make much sense to me, but there ya go.

IMO, I don't know if lower gas prices means a reduction in high-efficiency vehicle sales. Seems unlikely that a person in November was thinking of buying a Prius, and now will buy a Highlander SUV. Well, anyone except males under 24 yrs old. lol

I'm thinking the used car market for 6- and 8-cyl engines might be moving to a sellers market now. :) And, I bet sales of scooters will be going down.

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With low gas prices my Elio will be even cheaper to operate.:) I see gas a freedom for an individual or family to go anywhere they want. Why, cause gasoline stations are everywhere. For now, with the fall in oil, that bit of freedom is not taking so much out of our pocket. That's only one great thing about gas. Like everyone here has said, really can't understand consumers buying huge cars and trucks as single driver transportation. My F150 gets driven when it's needed and that's it. Being a great country, it's their choice.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We Americans are addicted to gasoline. Plain and simple. For most people, that addiction means that they don't seek a way to reduce the money that is spent on gasoline. Yet when gas prices go down, short-term memory still reigns supreme, and they feed that addiction and buy gas guzzlers. Then when gas goes back up soon, they'll go back to ignoring how much they (really) spend on gasoline. Many Americans will gladly increase their debt to have gas guzzlers. Doesn't make much sense to me, but there ya go.

IMO, I don't know if lower gas prices means a reduction in high-efficiency vehicle sales. Seems unlikely that a person in November was thinking of buying a Prius, and now will buy a Highlander SUV. Well, anyone except males under 24 yrs old. lol

I'm thinking the used car market for 6- and 8-cyl engines might be moving to a sellers market now. :) And, I bet sales of scooters will be going down.
Light vehicles SUV's up 4.5%, Light duty pickup trucks up 9.2%..............alternative vehicles like hybrids, electrics, and compacts are down 7.2%. A small % of Americans actually change there buying habits with lowering gas prices.

Top Bottom