• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

With Gas Prices Falling, Will That Impact Sales Of High Eff Cars?

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are plenty of people who will like the elio for reasons other than gas prices. Some will want to have a lower environmental impact, others like the minimalist lifestyle, others like the uniqueness or cool look. The price will appeal to others. Just look at the growth of the tiny house movement. People are building or purchasing tiny houses for many of the same reasons they will want elio.

Exactly! I look at it this way, do gas prices effect motorcycle sales? I don't think they do, so why would they effect Elio sales?

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm infamous around here for getting into lengthy discussions about EV's, so I won't say much for fear of derailing the thread. But I will say this: since buying our Leaf over a year ago, we haven't spent more than $35 per month on electricity for it. The Elio will be cheaper in other respects (fewer tires to buy, cheaper to insure, etc) so I expect them to both cost about the same in fuel and maintainance costs over their lifetimes. And that is all the point I was trying to make.

IF you are really worried about cost.....you need to figure your Cost Per Mile INCLUDING the cost of the vehicle, maintenance, insurance, registration, etc.

THAT will give you a clear picture of which is really cheaper..............

But then, some of us just like the COOL factor :p

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Exactly! I look at it this way, do gas prices effect motorcycle sales? I don't think they do, so why would they effect Elio sales?
Because people want cars, not motorcycles. Motorcycles are fair weather toys, not serious vehicles. They also require special licensing and possession of a backup vehicle for when it rains/snows/is cold.

Don't get me wrong, motorcycles are great. I owned one for several years. Loved cruising the back roads on summer evenings, and sunny weekends. They are just not practical commuter/family vehicles.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because people want cars, not motorcycles. Motorcycles are fair weather toys, not serious vehicles. They also require special licensing and possession of a backup vehicle for when it rains/snows/is cold.

Don't get me wrong, motorcycles are great. I owned one for several years. Loved cruising the back roads on summer evenings, and sunny weekends. They are just not practical commuter/family vehicles.

I think you missed my point. I think many people will be buying the Elio as a recreational vehicle, much like a motorcycle. Not everyone will be buying it solely for it's fuel economy...I think of the Elio as an all-weather motorcycle...yes the other car-like aspects of it will be nice too, but to many, it will be a play toy...I couldn't care less if it gets 80 MPG or 40 MPG...

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think you missed my point. I think many people will be buying the Elio as a recreational vehicle, much like a motorcycle. Not everyone will be buying it solely for it's fuel economy...I think of the Elio as an all-weather motorcycle...yes the other car-like aspects of it will be nice too, but to many, it will be a play toy...I couldn't care less if it gets 80 MPG or 40 MPG...

I'm driving exactly 84 miles to work, round trip, 6 days a week, and will for at least another 5+ years. After that it will become a "toy". Looking forward to the day when everyday's a Saturday [a.k.a. - retired] and I can go nuts on modifications.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm driving exactly 84 miles to work, round trip, 6 days a week, and will for at least another 5+ years. After that it will become a "toy". Looking forward to the day when everyday's a Saturday [a.k.a. - retired] and I can go nuts on modifications.

Being retired is highly over rated.
Right now you have too much money and not enough time.
When you retire you will have too much time and not enough money.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Hey............wait a minute..........
I've been riding for 50 years and I ride in all kinds of weather.........the only times I didn't ride were when the snow falls..............
Rest of the time, rain, cold, etc., ride baby ride :D
(I do have electric clothes for the winter :))

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I'd rather have the latter, than the former.

But unfortunately, what I have right now is Not Enough Money and Not Enough Time.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I'll have plenty of both as long as the economy doesn't crash and we have to use sea shells as currency. [knocking wood!] ;)

Squirrelling away 20% - 25% of my gross into the 401k for almost 30 years.

Top Bottom