• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why The Prototypes Have To Wait On The Engine

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the 'others' are waiting to see where this thing goes before they jump in. It's too big a gamble for a 'big three' company to go into blind and they are perfectly happy stamping out the traditional vehicles which are selling well at a nice profit margin. I doubt they'll wake up tomorrow and decide to rock their own boat. And a foreign company would face HUGE obstacles getting laws here changed as needed. It's one thing to change laws to allow an American company to grow, (especially one with national loyalty at it's core), and another to pave the way for foreign competition.
Not unheard of, and an easy get-around a foreign company buys or sets-up a domestic. I think India and China would love to get their fingers in a slice of P E's pie. In the States it will be and "&" car for most, but just as in post war Europe, the E will for those that can afford it, the family vehicle

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only reason work on protype/test cars can not be done is money. The world does not stop because the engine is not ready.
Flux capacitor vibration is no excuse for stopping all work on them. Sure some areas may need to be left uncompleted dealing with final fit but most of the work could be done if the cash was there. You can bet ELIO is not going to make many major claims for a while ,they need to have a few met goals to show .

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
thanks for the clip, good stuff, but he needs a wardrobe consult!!
The only reason work on protype/test cars can not be done is money. The world does not stop because the engine is not ready.
Flux capacitor vibration is no excuse for stopping all work on them. Sure some areas may need to be left uncompleted dealing with final fit but most of the work could be done if the cash was there. You can bet ELIO is not going to make many major claims for a while ,they need to have a few met goals to show .

Confessing my technical ignorance, and perhaps others I googled and offer this clear explanation- hope it helps- it did me.!! LMFAO
love when you guys kick this stuff around!
ALUMINUM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS

Application Guidelines for Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors

Please make sure the application and mounting conditions to which the capacitor will be exposed to are within the conditions specified in catalog or alternate product specification (Referred to as specification here after).

Operating temperature and applied ripple current shall be within the specification.

q The capacitor shall not be used in an ambient temperature which exceeds the operating temperature specified in the specification.

w Do not apply excessive current which exceeds the allowable ripple current.
Appropriate capacitors which comply with the life requirement of the products should be selected when designing the

circuit.

Aluminum electrolytic capacitors are polarized. Make sure that no reverse voltage or AC voltage is applied to the capacitors. Please use bi-polar capacitors for a circuit that can possibly see reversed polarity.
Note: Even bi-polar capacitors can not be used for AC voltage application.

For a circuit that repeats rapid charging / discharging of electricity, an appropriate capacitor that is capable of enduring such a condition must be used. Welding machines and photo flash are a few examples of products that contain such a circuit. In addition, rapid charging / discharging may be repeated in control circuits for servomotors, In which the circuit voltage fluctuates substantially.

For appropriate choice of capacitors for circuit that repeat rapid charging / discharging, please consult Nichicon.
If excess a rush current due to drastic charge/dis-charge was applied to conductive polymer aluminum solid electrolytic capacitors, it may cause a short circuit or an increase in leakage current. Therefore, Please do not apply a rush current that is larger than 10A.

Make sure that no excess voltage (that is, higher than the rated voltage) is applied to the capacitor.

q Please pay attention so that the peak voltage, which is DC voltage overlapped by ripple current, will not exceed the rated voltage.

w In the case where more than 2 aluminum electrolytic capacitors are used in series, please make sure that applied voltage will be lower than rated voltage and the voltage be will applied to each capacitor equally using a balancing resistor in parallel with the capacitors.
Please do not use conductive polymer alminum solid electrolytic capacitors for the application listed below, since the solidorganicpolymeraluminum electrolytic capacitor cannot reach it's maximum performance.

1) Coupling circuits
2) R-C timing circuit
3) High impedance voltage retention circuit
4) Circuits, which extremely low voltage in compared to the rated voltage is only applie
5) Circuits, which are greatly affected by leakage currents for special use such as multiple parts used in a series,

please contact us for recommendations.

( 7

) Aluminum electrolytic capacitors must be electrically isolated as follows:
The aluminum case and the cathode foil are connected by the unstable resistance of a naturally formed oxide layer inside the aluminum case and the electrolyte.

q (a) Case and negative terminal (except axial leaded part such as JIS configuration 02 type) (b) Case and positive terminal
(c) Case and circuit pattern

w (a) Auxialiary terminal of can type such as JIS style symbol 693, 694 or 695 and negative and positive terminal, including the circuit pattern.

e Case and both terminals of a bi-polarized capacitor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
doh-yahoo-emoticon.gif
It appears that the summer of love was really good to Howard Rheingold! Yikes, those "mind amplifiers" he's been doing since 1964 seem to have taken their toll. My hat's off to a guy who makes the basic critical thinking we all learned in the 8th grade sound deep. Marshall McLuhan, the popular philosopher, intellectual fraud, and acid freak of the late sixties must be spinning in his grave. "The medium is the message." oooohhhhh! :eek: :rolleyes:
:)

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
thanks for the clip, good stuff, but he needs a wardrobe consult!!

Confessing my technical ignorance, and perhaps others I googled and offer this clear explanation- hope it helps- it did me.!! LMFAO
love when you guys kick this stuff around!

ALUMINUM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS

Application Guidelines for Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors

Please make sure the application and mounting conditions to which the capacitor will be exposed to are within the conditions specified in catalog or alternate product specification (Referred to as specification here after).

Operating temperature and applied ripple current shall be within the specification.

q The capacitor shall not be used in an ambient temperature which exceeds the operating temperature specified in the specification.

w Do not apply excessive current which exceeds the allowable ripple current.
Appropriate capacitors which comply with the life requirement of the products should be selected when designing the

circuit.

Aluminum electrolytic capacitors are polarized. Make sure that no reverse voltage or AC voltage is applied to the capacitors. Please use bi-polar capacitors for a circuit that can possibly see reversed polarity.
Note: Even bi-polar capacitors can not be used for AC voltage application.

For a circuit that repeats rapid charging / discharging of electricity, an appropriate capacitor that is capable of enduring such a condition must be used. Welding machines and photo flash are a few examples of products that contain such a circuit. In addition, rapid charging / discharging may be repeated in control circuits for servomotors, In which the circuit voltage fluctuates substantially.

For appropriate choice of capacitors for circuit that repeat rapid charging / discharging, please consult Nichicon.
If excess a rush current due to drastic charge/dis-charge was applied to conductive polymer aluminum solid electrolytic capacitors, it may cause a short circuit or an increase in leakage current. Therefore, Please do not apply a rush current that is larger than 10A.

Make sure that no excess voltage (that is, higher than the rated voltage) is applied to the capacitor.

q Please pay attention so that the peak voltage, which is DC voltage overlapped by ripple current, will not exceed the rated voltage.

w In the case where more than 2 aluminum electrolytic capacitors are used in series, please make sure that applied voltage will be lower than rated voltage and the voltage be will applied to each capacitor equally using a balancing resistor in parallel with the capacitors.
Please do not use conductive polymer alminum solid electrolytic capacitors for the application listed below, since the solidorganicpolymeraluminum electrolytic capacitor cannot reach it's maximum performance.

1) Coupling circuits
2) R-C timing circuit
3) High impedance voltage retention circuit
4) Circuits, which extremely low voltage in compared to the rated voltage is only applie
5) Circuits, which are greatly affected by leakage currents for special use such as multiple parts used in a series,

please contact us for recommendations.

( 7

) Aluminum electrolytic capacitors must be electrically isolated as follows:
The aluminum case and the cathode foil are connected by the unstable resistance of a naturally formed oxide layer inside the aluminum case and the electrolyte.

q (a) Case and negative terminal (except axial leaded part such as JIS configuration 02 type) (b) Case and positive terminal
(c) Case and circuit pattern

w (a) Auxialiary terminal of can type such as JIS style symbol 693, 694 or 695 and negative and positive terminal, including the circuit pattern.

e Case and both terminals of a bi-polarized capacitor.
goddam lawyers. They like to punt on second down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
doh-yahoo-emoticon.gif
It appears that the summer of love was really good to Howard Rheingold! Yikes, those "mind amplifiers" he's been doing since 1964 seem to have taken their toll. My hat's off to a guy who makes the basic critical thinking we all learned in the 8th grade sound deep. Marshall McLuhan, the popular philosopher, intellectual fraud, and acid freak of the late sixties must be spinning in his grave. "The medium is the message." oooohhhhh! :eek: :rolleyes:
:)
Actually, and this is hard science, in the case of the screen you're looking at, the medium IS the message -- near-UV light has significant effects on brain chemistry, including stimulation, lack of concentration, and, near bed time, lousing up your sleep for several hours. (I've been writing a scholarly article on screen-based aesthetics, which is how I ran into the relevant research. Don't stare too long at your skyzmatic....)

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, and this is hard science, in the case of the screen you're looking at, the medium IS the message -- near-UV light has significant effects on brain chemistry, including stimulation, lack of concentration, and, near bed time, lousing up your sleep for several hours. (I've been writing a scholarly article on screen-based aesthetics, which is how I ran into the relevant research. Don't stare too long at your skyzmatic....)
This is why I use f.lux

Top Bottom