• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Do You Stand Now?

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With 10 being the point you thought this car was a go, when you first became interested, what is your number now, and most importantly, how many days has it been since you jumped in?

I signed up when I was at 4/10. Now I'm at 6/10. When they show a running engine I'll be at 7/10.

I jumped all-in more than 500 days ago.

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thread bump?

OK, I'll bite. When I went all-in, I accepted the Elio as a gamble - not a bad gamble, but a good one. I will say a 6 out of 10, but I had also researched as much as I could before my impulsive side said "Get your spot in line already! Just do it!"
I am now at a about a 7. As many others have stated, a working engine is paramount, and that will pump me up to about a 9.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm still at a 10. Jumped all in 01/31/14.
Bless you Neal. Oooooooh Ye of little faith, huh?

But Ya know Neal , with the lack of good, sound, NEW information coming out of corporate lately, my faith too is beginning to slip some too.

Oh, WOW! Does that now make me one of those listed as having "little faith?"

When was the last time we heard anything about the "crash tests?" What was the last and latest news about the motor and drive train? And on, and on.

Oh well. . . . I'm still All In. And that's got to count for something, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bless you Neal. Oooooooh Ye of little faith, huh?

But Ya know Neal , with the lack of good, sound, NEW information coming out of corporate lately, my faith too is beginning to slip some too.

Oh, WOW! Does that now make me one of those listed as having "little faith?"

When was the last time we heard anything about the "crash tests?" What was the last and latest news about the motor and drive train? And on, and on.

Oh well. . . . I'm still All In. And that's got to count for something, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

My faith in production is not slipping at all. I am very confident that production will begin. No doubts here. I was pissed that they came to Dallas and didn't let anyone know, but that doesn't take away any of my confidence.

I respect you or anyone else having doubts, I get it. But that isn't me.

Robert French

Elio Fan
Reaction score
With 10 being the point you thought this car was a go, when you first became interested, what is your number now, and most importantly, how many days has it been since you jumped in?

My # is 7 and the days are 17

So you can say my assurance the car will be built has dropped 3 points in 17 days.
I'm one of the "just gotta have it 1K" reservations. Made the reservation 2/21/2014 #2983. I'm beginning to get a little sceptical on the projected production date and would like to hear a little more out of Elio Motors on their progress. Other that that I remain very enthusiastic about this unique vehicle to be made in the USA and really looking forward to becoming a proud owner.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's my thoughts on this...
I completely understand that the plant purchase / lease got moved back, and that there was nothing Elio could have done to avoid that 9 month delay. But what does that have to do with them getting the engine ready? And even, to a lesser degree, getting the prototypes designed and built? Now I don't know how or where they are going to build the prototypes. If they planned in the plant in LA, then I understand the delay. But if they are going to build them in MI, they what does the delay in LA have to do with that? I'm a little disappointed that they didn't do more work on the engine while they were waiting for the plant issue to work itself out.
Along those same lines, if the plant hit a road block, why didn't they have a back-up plan? I'm sure there are other factories that are sitting empty right now that would have worked just fine and not had the 9 month delay.

All that being said, I'm still at a ten in enthusiasm and confidence that it will get done.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's my thoughts on this...
I completely understand that the plant purchase / lease got moved back, and that there was nothing Elio could have done to avoid that 9 month delay. But what does that have to do with them getting the engine ready? And even, to a lesser degree, getting the prototypes designed and built? Now I don't know how or where they are going to build the prototypes. If they planned in the plant in LA, then I understand the delay. But if they are going to build them in MI, they what does the delay in LA have to do with that? I'm a little disappointed that they didn't do more work on the engine while they were waiting for the plant issue to work itself out.
Along those same lines, if the plant hit a road block, why didn't they have a back-up plan? I'm sure there are other factories that are sitting empty right now that would have worked just fine and not had the 9 month delay.

All that being said, I'm still at a ten in enthusiasm and confidence that it will get done.

Unfortunately the nine month delay in the plant is actually directly related to the further delay in building and testing the engines and prototypes. The reason is simply that the next round of funding needed to complete the vehicle development phase, approximately $35 million dollars, was tied directly to acquiring the plant within a reasonable timeframe and thus this round of funding completely fell apart when the plant acquisition was not completed in time. EM did have some extra money which is why some development continued, such as the P4 was built and tested and the first round of engine castings was completed, however the pace of this work was definitely slowed as EM has to make sure their finances would make it to the next stage.

Back in May Paul Elio did state that they would have to start the round of funding all over again and could not even begin that process until they first received the $7.5 million from IRG which was to happen a several weeks after the plant lease was finally was secured. This round of funding, which they had to negotiate all over again, is what EM has been working on all summer and now appears to have settled.

We actually know that there was a backup plan to use a former AT&T building close to the current plant in Shreveport. We have to remember that Elio Motors made a separate deal and owns all the equipment in the Shreveport plant so they actually did need to get the plant lease situation sorted out so as to know if they were using the existing plant or moving the equipment to the former AT&T building.

The nine month delay in the plant is directly tied to a year or more of delay in the project. This delay disrupted the funding to the point that Elio Motors had to wait until the plant issue was settled to even begin the next round of funding all over again as I am sure after the last plant deal fell through investors were very unwilling to commit funding until the issue was settled. This delay also caused engineering work on the project to slow down, but not stop, as the Elio Motors had to be smart with the funds they had on hand to ensure they would not run out before the issues were settled.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately the nine month delay in the plant is actually directly related to the further delay in building and testing the engines and prototypes. The reason is simply that the next round of funding needed to complete the vehicle development phase, approximately $35 million dollars, was tied directly to acquiring the plant within a reasonable timeframe and thus this round of funding completely fell apart when the plant acquisition was not completed in time. EM did have some extra money which is why some development continued, such as the P4 was built and tested and the first round of engine castings was completed, however the pace of this work was definitely slowed as EM has to make sure their finances would make it to the next stage.

Back in May Paul Elio did state that they would have to start the round of funding all over again and could not even begin that process until they first received the $7.5 million from IRG which was to happen a several weeks after the plant lease was finally was secured. This round of funding, which they had to negotiate all over again, is what EM has been working on all summer and now appears to have settled.

We actually know that there was a backup plan to use a former AT&T building close to the current plant in Shreveport. We have to remember that Elio Motors made a separate deal and owns all the equipment in the Shreveport plant so they actually did need to get the plant lease situation sorted out so as to know if they were using the existing plant or moving the equipment to the former AT&T building.

The nine month delay in the plant is directly tied to a year or more of delay in the project. This delay disrupted the funding to the point that Elio Motors had to wait until the plant issue was settled to even begin the next round of funding all over again as I am sure after the last plant deal fell through investors were very unwilling to commit funding until the issue was settled. This delay also caused engineering work on the project to slow down, but not stop, as the Elio Motors had to be smart with the funds they had on hand to ensure they would not run out before the issues were settled.

Makes sense. Thanks goofy1.

Top Bottom