• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Vote For The Elgin Dash

Vote for Elgin Dash

• Love it

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Hate it

Votes: 59 50.4%
  • Mixed feelings

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I'm always too wishy-washy to choose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have an opinion 'cause I don't care

Votes: 13 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've grown to not worry about it. I'll bet it won't be that big of a deal when it finally hits production. There will be a lot of "I guess that's decent. It fits the car." or "It's not bad enough to warrant the pain of swapping it out." I'll bet there are even a few "Hey, that's not too bad when seen in context."

I'll add two
"That is so bad in person that I'm just going to cancel my reservation (or lose it)."
"That is horrible. It is so bad that it'll be worth the effort to change it out and put something different in there."

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've grown to not worry about it. I'll bet it won't be that big of a deal when it finally hits production. There will be a lot of "I guess that's decent. It fits the car." or "It's not bad enough to warrant the pain of swapping it out." I'll bet there are even a few "Hey, that's not too bad when seen in context."

I'll add two
"That is so bad in person that I'm just going to cancel my reservation (or lose it)."
"That is horrible. It is so bad that it'll be worth the effort to change it out and put something different in there."

On looking a speedometers and stuff for my Jeep, a spedo (not a brief) runs about $250. That's a replacement part!
A full panel (like what "elio amazed" suggested) costs around $850 without installation.
In a car that costs $6800?????
Other than 'cause I can, I'm trying to justify an option that costs 12% of the total car.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: "That is horrible.
It is so bad that it'll be worth the effort to change it out and put something different in there."

& the cost, 'cause I can, & I don't want to stare at
plastic boobies for miles on end........................:D

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was hoping for a clean easy to read simple analog dash. Nothing to fancy just the basics. Without thinking about it you do spend a lot of time scanning the dash.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You really don't get it.
Your opinion is your opinion.
You don't like it and we all understand that.
As far as looking up opinions that you have posted on multiple threads.............
Why?
I know your opinion.
You want what you want.
You have put nothing together.
You have reiterated your opinion multiple times in several different forms.
You called me out? (very mature)
(Last time that happened to me was over 50 years ago
I told you if you feel that strongly about the issue you should send a certified letter to EM and share it, along with a scanned copy of the receipt from EM.
I really don't care whether you do or not.
What you called a reasonable solution amounts to nothing more than 'I don't like the Elgin and want something different'.
Of course the one you suggested (VHX1017) amounts to a complete redesign of the dashboard.
Pretty but it doesn't fit the basic design. Depending on the space available, VHX1018 might fit better or VHX1023.

Sorry for this late response. I was helping a friend at his ranch for the last few days.
I just don't get it?
Are you really trying to be serious here?

I'm not the person trying to rationalize away the simple fact that a fairly good sampling of EM's present customer base does not want this thing.
That's what I keep having to reiterate everytime someone tries to rationalize or wish that simple fact away.
And you tell me that I'm only reiterating my opinion.
There is a difference between reiterating an opinion and reiterating a fact.
Yet people keep trying to spin, wish, explain and rationalize that fact away.

And I don't get it?

QUOTE: "You don't like it and we all understand that."
You... keep coming across as if I'm in a minority instead of a majority.

On the other hand, yes, you're absolutely correct about my opinion.
I try never to speak for others. Those polls speak for themselves.
Just as your posts are your own opinion and nothing more.
It's good to know the difference between facts and opinions.
I keep looking for simple facts in your posts.
Other than the simple undisputable fact that PE seems to currently have controlling interest in EM, I'm not finding a whole lot.
Perhaps we could go a bit further and call yours an intentionally uninformed opinion since you seem to want to express it without being willing to spend a couple of minutes to look up what it is you're actually talking about (my suggestion for a compromise).
It honestly reminds me of the tactic of a kid putting his hands over his ears and saying "La,la,la,la,la,la,la as loud has he can.

As far as your suggestion about sending correspondence to a company that, by all appearances, seems unwilling to even consider the possibility that certain tactics which history has proven to be detremental may affect their endeavor.
To that suggestion, I apply your own unprovokeded and unsolicited "mature" debate manuever, and ask you "Why?"
My compliments on how "mature" your own responses have been in this discussion.

Call you out? Yep. Why? Been there and delt with many who use those cheap types of 'turn-the-tables' diversion tactics when they've run out of "mature" and valid discussion points.

Calling you out because of such a "mature" discussion tactic as the one you resorted to is "very mature" on my part?
So then, indeed, is the diversion tactic of attempting to shift the direction of the discussion by you attempting to bring my maturity into question.
I'd say that's a classic demostration of the meaning of "ironic".
Please let the record show that this is the third time you've attempted a similar type of "mature" maneuver.
Similar, that is, to what you'd previously done twice that caused me to call BS (or, at the time, try to show some restraint in my verbage and "call you out") in the first place.

You really seem perfectly willing to lower a perfectly decent general discussion to a "playground level" and then try to convince all involved that the other party was responsible for exactly that.
Then you seem to want to pretend that you're a person coming from some sort of higher moral ground.

QUOTE: "Of course the one you suggested (VHX1017) amounts to a complete redesign of the dashboard."

How would you know? Are you telling me you looked up enough information to make that informed determination and are not just expressing another uninformed opinion, but you still won't spend two minutes to look up a post that would at least qualify you to talk about me, my original proposition and/or my opinions?

What's also ironic here is that no-one seems very eager to discuss my opinion that too many people seem to be drinking a tad too much kool-aid and believe that PE and EM (Sainthood or not) know best in all situations and can do no wrong.

Well Elmer,
You brought it up and seemed to want to change the focus of the discussion, to there ye be.
I apparently just never learned to debate in a manner, and on a level, that wins me the privilage of sitting at the "adult" table.
Enjoy the kool-aid, and I'll be "Wery, wery quiet" since you seem to have changed your mind about continuing the wabbit hunt.
By the way, real mature analogy there.

Oh, also BTW...
QUOTE: "A full panel (like what "elio amazed" suggested) costs around $850 without installation."
And... that's the second time you've done that.

Do you have a habit of putting words into other people's mouths?
Especially ones that they never expressed in any medium.
When and exactly where did I actually "suggest" that?
Speaking for others again are you?

If that's the case, then it must be all right.
Not the truth, but I guess it must be all right if "we all" understand it to be so.

And Comp buddy, It may not be "His Company!" for very long if he continues to have this type of philosophy.
Much stranger things have often happened.
I've grown... up. But like the rest of my opinions, I'm being told that I've no facts to back that up and therefore it's not true. :D

Last edited:

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your license plate is that of an automobile.
Shouldn't it have motorcycle plates on it and say motorcycle on the title since it has 3 wheels?

IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY , YOU WILL SEE THAT THE GOLIATH PLATE SAYS "FARM TRUCK"
IT IS A NOS 1959 ORIGINAL & QUITE TOUGH TO FIND .

HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA , THEY ALLOW US TO RUN VINTAGE PLATES ON VINTAGE CARS .
THE PLATE MUST MATCH THE YEAR & AMAZINGLY YOU DON'T NEED TO REGISTER THE NUMBER .

THERE IS NOTHING IN THE LAW THAT SAYS YOU CAN'T RUN A TRUCK PLATE ON A BIKE
OR THE OTHER WAY AROUND .

I AM GOOD IF I HAVE THE CURRENT PLATE IN THE VEHICLE AND THEY YEAR IS RIGHT .

MY 1963 MESSERSCHMITT IS TITLED & REGISTERED AS A CAR BUT I RUN A BIKE PLATE ON THAT ONE .
SAME DEAL .

DSC_0546 - Copy.JPG

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I dont see why some people cant understand that the entire membership of this board, and especially the active members of the board, are such a small sample of people that their opinion is almost completely irrelevant when deciding what the market "wants"...... Its not difficult. I am absolutely sure that Elio Motors asked themselves this exact same question long before we heard of an Elgin Dash.
And I assume by all that, that you've run a business that depended on the rather rare, and highly curious, situation of having the "active" and "verbal" part of your market be in no way a fair representation of your overall market?
I also assume this business was not concerned with it's day-to-day public image in the least?
I further assume that you must have run a business that depended on both your investors and your market not really caring that you generally refused to research their preferences and to consequently produce according to those preferences. Yes? Correct?

Well, regardless of your answers to these sort-of qualifiying questions...
I have. All except for the investors thing. For a period of time in excess of twenty great years.
Guess that's why I "just can't understand" your logic.

My individual opinion is based on experience, but it is an opinion none-the-less.

More rationization and kool-aid perhaps?

Last edited:

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As long as the dash tells me that all the basic motor info (h2o temp, oil pressure, etc.) and the speed I'm traveling, I'm good. The dash can be unusual or exotic, high tech or really bare bones. As long as it doesn't cause the price of the Ecar to go over the $6800 (or not by much). Whatever people do with it after it is in their possession will be of great interest. As far as the great percentage of people wanting some other dash than the Elgin, those people we have heard from are on elioowners with a membership somewhere just north of 2000. Which might be impressive if all 2000+ were active and voicing their opinion about the dash one way or another, but another way to look at it is that there is 40k+ reservations which puts us right at 5% of the holders (again if all our membership were vocal and active), not that large of a demographic. So I say, EM & PA have decided what they have decided, we've got the Elgin dash and after it's in our hot little hands we can take it or leave it. Voila! That's life sometimes.

Top Bottom