• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Vote For The Elgin Dash

Vote for Elgin Dash

• Love it

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Hate it

Votes: 59 50.4%
  • Mixed feelings

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I'm always too wishy-washy to choose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have an opinion 'cause I don't care

Votes: 13 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
poll closed .... new one started in post 313

Show your support or disdain for the elgin dash shown @ 4:18 in the clip.

With the 'old school' Metro dash, I could keep my eyes on the road and still know approximately how fast I was going. Early on with those types of dashes, I would know what position the "needle" was in at particular speeds. I could tell my speed with only my peripheral vison. Not only that, the numbers are too small and too close together with no graduations between, say, 60mph and 50mph. For those reasons, I feel this dash is less safe than the style that's in the P4 at present. Most of the dash is blank, wasted, space. Don't I keep hearing that two top priorities with the Elio are safety and handling? With all due respect (truely), I don't think I want to sacrifice safety, looks and user-friendliness for someone else's sentimentality. I don't think I would ever get used to it and I think it would feel extremely clunky for as long as I owned the vehicle. What say ye all?

Last edited by a moderator:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a rendering which gives us an idea of what the Elgin gauge cluster is supposed to look like installed in the vehicle.

Elgin dash rendering.jpg

I would like to see a more polished version installed in the vehicle before I make a definitive decision how I feel about this Elgin gauge cluster. There is bound to be a very big difference between how an initial proof of concept prototype looks sitting on its own outside the vehicle and a pre-production or production gauge cluster installed and fully functional in the dash.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
To clear up some confusion it helps to know a bit more information. We have to completely ignore the numbering on the prototype Elgin speedo as we have had it confirmed that this is actually numbered for KPH. The final Elio speedo is supposed to feature larger numbers with proper numbering and graduation for MPH. The multi-function digital readout in the center of the dash will also be able to display a digital MPH/KPH readout. We have also been told that is likely that the tach will feature numbers which change in color from green to yellow to red to make it easy to see at a glance if you are nearing the engine redline.

Knowing about these changes, and expecting more we have not heard about yet from EM and the supplier, are the reasons why I am holding off on making a decision either way on the Elgin until after I see a fully fleshed out design in the vehicle instead of merely on the initial prototype.

It was however a lot of fun getting a chance to play with the prototype first hand even if it still has a ways to go before its final form. :cool:
Me holding Elgin.jpg

Last edited:

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like the Elgin dash concept and I am confident, that in a final version, the numbers will be bigger and the whole dash more functional. The Elgin dash vaguely reminds me of a Citroën CX I drove. An outstanding car with an excellent interior design and the most comfortable ride I ever owned.

citroen_cx_2400_pallas_7.jpg

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Show your support or disdain for the elgin dash shown @ 4:18 in the clip.

With the 'old school' Metro dash, I could keep my eyes on the road and still know approximately how fast I was going. Early on with those types of dashes, I would know what position the "needle" was in at particular speeds. I could tell my speed with only my peripheral vison. Not only that, the numbers are too small and too close together with no graduations between, say, 60mph and 50mph. For those reasons, I feel this dash is less safe than the style that's in the P4 at present. Most of the dash is blank, wasted, space. Don't I keep hearing that two top priorities with the Elio are safety and handling? With all due respect (truely), I don't think I want to sacrifice safety, looks and user-friendliness for someone else's sentimentality. I don't think I would ever get used to it and I think it would feel extremely clunky for as long as I owned the vehicle. What say ye all?

I had many cars without any major markings besides 10, 20, 30... miles or km per hour. Usually there's a dot or small line for the incremental speeds.

That is more than enough, especially given that speedometers aren't all that accurate anyway, a finer readout would not give you that much more information, unless you buy your Elio with the police package that comes with a calibrated speed display. ;)

Top Bottom