• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Two More Cents

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, scale is the essence of the problem. Not to mention the "bustle" extending past the rear wheel. You do raise a really interesting point, though: how would Elios fit onto a standard car carrier, which has two rails and no center bed for the upper deck? Initially, this wouldn't be a particular problem -- flat beds would work -- but when the volume comes up, greater capacity (i.e., double decker) transport will be needed. Otherwise the shipping cost WILL be about $750!

If you look at the photo of the P3 on RT66 on the Elio site, it give you a really good idea how much room you'd have to "nest" two cars in the right-hand lane -- because the truck is less than one lane wide, so you'd have to do it in that space.

The car carrier question has actually been asked and the answer we have heard is that they have a transport dolly system planned for the rear end. The way I understand it is that for transport the rear wheel is removed and in its place is bolted a dolly with wheels on the ends which match the front wheel track.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The following is just my opinion. If you have better information feel free to disagree.

Several threads have briefly mentioned transportation of Elios from the Shreveport factory. I would like to discuss this in more detail. (I have Class A CDL so I am familiar with the industry and that is why I have an interest in discussing this topic.)

I believe production is expected to start out at around 250 Elios per day. Later they expect up to ramp up to 500 per day.

Typically an auto transport truck carries nine to twelve vehicles. For ease of discussion lets say they can carry ten Elios. That is twenty-five truck loads per day at the 250 per day rate. Assuming an average four-day turnaround, a total of 100 trucks would be needed. These trucks will have to be specifically modified/built to be able to load the Elios, or, as I read in a post today, dollies may be used. 100 times 10 is a lot of dollies, and a lot of work for the drivers. I can't see that happening.

Of course, when production increases to 500 per day the numbers will double.

It is very likely that Elio Motors (EM) will sub out the transporting to private, auto transport companies. EM will negotiate with the carrier for the lowest price but the carrier(s) will have an investment of 8 to 10 million dollars (if new equipment) so will not be inclined to charge less than the going rate. I haven't bought a new car lately but I believe car dealers are charging over $800 for the delivery fee.

EM could exclude a transportation fee for factory pickups in their contract with the carrier(s). I hope that will be the case but it will be determined by the contract negotiations. Realistically, I expect there will be a reduced transportation fee for factory pickups, but a fee nevertheless.

I found this on movecars.com .

Regions
Average Price*

Midwest to Northeast
$753

Northeast to Southeast
$832

Southwest to Northeast
$1067

Southeast to Southwest
$1251

Southeast to Midwest
$856

*These prices reflect the average market cost of shipping a standard car during March 2014.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The following is just my opinion. If you have better information feel free to disagree.

Several threads have briefly mentioned transportation of Elios from the Shreveport factory. I would like to discuss this in more detail. (I have Class A CDL so I am familiar with the industry and that is why I have an interest in discussing this topic.)

I believe production is expected to start out at around 250 Elios per day. Later they expect up to ramp up to 500 per day.

Typically an auto transport truck carries nine to twelve vehicles. For ease of discussion lets say they can carry ten Elios. That is twenty-five truck loads per day at the 250 per day rate. Assuming an average four-day turnaround, a total of 100 trucks would be needed. These trucks will have to be specifically modified/built to be able to load the Elios, or, as I read in a post today, dollies may be used. 100 times 10 is a lot of dollies, and a lot of work for the drivers. I can't see that happening.

Of course, when production increases to 500 per day the numbers will double.

It is very likely that Elio Motors (EM) will sub out the transporting to private, auto transport companies. EM will negotiate with the carrier for the lowest price but the carrier(s) will have an investment of 8 to 10 million dollars (if new equipment) so will not be inclined to charge less than the going rate. I haven't bought a new car lately but I believe car dealers are charging over $800 for the delivery fee.

EM could exclude a transportation fee for factory pickups in their contract with the carrier(s). I hope that will be the case but it will be determined by the contract negotiations. Realistically, I expect there will be a reduced transportation fee for factory pickups, but a fee nevertheless.

I found this on movecars.com .

Regions
Average Price*

Midwest to Northeast
$753

Northeast to Southeast
$832

Southwest to Northeast
$1067

Southeast to Southwest
$1251

Southeast to Midwest
$856

*These prices reflect the average market cost of shipping a standard car during March 2014.
I love well-informed posts like this one. Thank you!

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.....These trucks will have to be specifically modified/built to be able to load the Elios, or, as I read in a post today, dollies may be used. 100 times 10 is a lot of dollies, and a lot of work for the drivers...

Yes, great information.
As for the dollies, I hadn't thought of the extra work for the drivers, and time needed for loading and unloading. I would think it would be easier to add a middle track to the trailers.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps Elio will ship cars by rail the same way Ford and Honda move cars across the country in specially designed rail cars called auto racks..........saving 30-50% in transportation fees.

There are rail transport companies on line claiming $429 to ship a vehicle anywhere in the USA.......why not from the Shreveport Factory to the regional Elio Stores across the country?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps Elio will ship cars by rail the same way Ford and Honda move cars across the country in specially designed rail cars called auto racks..........saving 30-50% in transportation fees.

There are rail transport companies on line claiming $429 to ship a vehicle anywhere in the USA.......why not from the Shreveport Factory to the regional Elio Stores across the country?
I assume this is what they will do because there is a rail line that goes into the plant area or right next to it. I used to see all the cars delivered that way in the SF Bay Area when I lived there. :-) Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
As we have found out Elio Motors has not made up their minds about charging or not charging the delivery fee and things may be different for reservation holders than for normal buyers as even the delivery methods will change.

I have no doubt Elio Motors will negotiate rates with transport companies just like any other automaker. The rates will be substantially less than the listed retail rates as EM would pay wholesale rates and receive volume discounts. I have found out from shipping vehicles as part of my business that transport broker fees account for about 25% of the retail cost of shipping vehicles.

For reservation holders Elio Motors will likely not have the retail stores available as standardized delivery points. During this phase it would likely benefit them to have no charge or very little charge for factory pickup as this is much easier for them than arranging home delivery for this many vehicles. It is also possible they will offer some variations like delivery to Pep Boy locations which would likely be easier on the drivers and transport companies. Elio Motors could also use some rail shipping to get groups of cars headed to the same general area across the country cheaper.

Once the distribution/retail network is up and running the plan is to deliver the majority of these vehicles from the factory to a network of distribution centers around the country which actually finish the vehicles. For this type of transport they can use rail as much as possible as the Shreveport plant has a rail loading facility formerly used by GM. Using dollies on this first leg would also be relatively easy as the dollies could be easily put on at the assembly plant. After unloading at the distribution center the dollies could be removed as part of the finishing process so it would be transparent to the transport drivers. In this case the fleet of special transport trailers needed would be greatly reduced as they would only be needed for the regular relatively close circuit of deliveries between the distribution centers and retail stores.

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As we have found out Elio Motors has not made up their minds about charging or not charging the delivery fee and things may be different for reservation holders than for normal buyers as even the delivery methods will change.

I have no doubt Elio Motors will negotiate rates with transport companies just like any other automaker. The rates will be substantially less than the listed retail rates as EM would pay wholesale rates and receive volume discounts. I have found out from shipping vehicles as part of my business that transport broker fees account for about 25% of the retail cost of shipping vehicles.

For reservation holders Elio Motors will likely not have the retail stores available as standardized delivery points. During this phase it would likely benefit them to have no charge or very little charge for factory pickup as this is much easier for them than arranging home delivery for this many vehicles. It is also possible they will offer some variations like delivery to Pep Boy locations which would likely be easier on the drivers and transport companies. Elio Motors could also use some rail shipping to get groups of cars headed to the same general area across the country cheaper.

Once the distribution/retail network is up and running the plan is to deliver the majority of these vehicles from the factory to a network of distribution centers around the country which actually finish the vehicles. For this type of transport they can use rail as much as possible as the Shreveport plant has a rail loading facility formerly used by GM. Using dollies on this first leg would also be relatively easy as the dollies could be easily put on at the assembly plant. After unloading at the distribution center the dollies could be removed as part of the finishing process so it would be transparent to the transport drivers. In this case the fleet of special transport trailers needed would be greatly reduced as they would only be needed for the regular relatively close circuit of deliveries between the distribution centers and retail stores.

Hi Goofyone,

When I first signed up, I talked to Elio Motors rep about the delivery costs, they were not sure on the amount yet for delivery..

Two prices were stated $750 or $400, and not sure if you would have to pay it, if you picked it up at the plant... Paul Elio was fighting for no charge for pick up at plant... but accounting wanted the even pay program for shipping the Elio's...

But he did say they were going to be using the rail system to move the Basic Elio's to different hubs about the states...

He stated that their warehouses would be near the rail systems, so all the Basic Elio would be shipped to the warehouses and any upgrades for the Elio's that are ordered from their local Elio stores would be installed there... they can always get more warehouses if needed for growth...

Maybe the warehouses are the 7 hubs Elio is talking about, with the idea that a auto mover would bring a load of Elio's from the warehouse/hub to the store each morning... or 24hrs, you order it at 3:00 pm get the next day at 3:00 pm...

All the upgrades are at the warehouses not at the stores, so they can have low cost over head for the stores, no big store is needed for just for a computer stand an a lot of pictures of upgrades and 3 Elio's, one to look at the store and 2 outside to test drive... kind of like having a fast food menu to choose from, but for Autocycles...

The Autocycle sales are going to be on-line, so when you pick out everything you want, and click... the order goes to the warehouse and they start heating up the buns and melting the cheese, your Elio is on it's way... it's fresh, they don't make it until you order it, just the way you like it.... no extra's...

He may not have used those words, but that is what I heard... just have to wait and see...

Proud to Be... an Elio owner #2225...

Motowarrior

Reaction score
To maintain credibility and to convert deposits into sales, they definitely should maintain the $6800 price for those who put down initial deposits. Mr. Elio said they plan to build 250k per year, so the 20k who put down deposits should be rewarded by maintaining the $6.8k price. Delivery cost of $400 is reasonable, especially if they offer a no-cost factory pick up as speculated.

Top Bottom