• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think they usually fasten the interior panels with spring clips of some sort. At least I hope they do. The first thing I'll do on any vehicle I buy is pull out nearly all of the interior so I can install sound deadening materials. If they are glued in and the road noise is bad I may have to rethink my decision to buy.
I speculate road noise will be minimal because the front wheels are separate from the cabin.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ELIO POSTED A COUPLE OF PICTURES OF THE P-5 BODY BUILD SO FAR .

IMG_49862.jpg

IMG_49832.jpg

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There may be a bit less direct tire noise due to having a larger air gap, but the structure borne noise is no different. There's also likely to be a bit of extra wind noise from the exposed suspension components. Besides, even if the Elio was completely silent, I'd want to add sound insulation to cut down on noise from outside traffic.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think they usually fasten the interior panels with spring clips of some sort. At least I hope they do. The first thing I'll do on any vehicle I buy is pull out nearly all of the interior so I can install sound deadening materials. If they are glued in and the road noise is bad I may have to rethink my decision to buy.

that would be a good question for one of our members to ask at a tour stop

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just got to that email; how about I post the whole email:

Elio Motors Momentum v19
ELIO_05506_Momentum_Blog_Masthead_1_B.jpg

P5 Progress: Moving Forward Each Day

Funny thing about the English language. One word can have multiple meanings. Take progress, for example. On dictionary.com, “progress” has 10 different definitions. It can even be used as a noun and a verb! It’s no wonder the word “progress” means different things to different people.

We know the ultimate definition of “progress” will be a new Elio sitting in your driveway and we are eager to make that happen. But, in our journey to get to production, we need to make progress on literally thousands of activities, some big and some small. We are knocking things off of our to-do list every day.

This year, we’ve reached some major milestones. Our engine development partner IAV has our prototype engine running. We raised enough funds through our first crowdfunding initiative to begin building our next prototype, the P5. Most recently, we filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission to seek authorization to make a formal stock offering of $25 million.

All of these are major milestones and tangible signs of progress to celebrate.

But nothing quite defines our progress more than the actual vehicle build. Today, we are right smack in the middle of building the P5 and, like everything else at Elio Motors, we’re making progress each day.

Some of this progress might seem mundane. Forging things like the lower and upper control arm mounts, the rear swing arm mount, or the engine mounts might not sound like a big deal, but they are done, along with all the other parts of the main frame and chassis.

How about the upper and lower control arms, the rear swing arm assembly, and the steering knuckles? No, they may not be your idea of sexy…but they’re done, too. Another box checked.

More signs of tangible progress? How about some of the off-the-shelf parts we’ve put on our shopping list.

Half shafts? Check. Rear caliper and rotors? Check. Shift linkage, clutch and flywheel, air cleaner box? Check, check, and check.

When you keep checking the box, all those components can be combined into systems. Ultimately, all those systems become a vehicle, or in this case, the P5 prototype.

Of course, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here’s a sneak peak of where we stand as of mid September. The P5 is clearly taking shape. And, that’s progress.

IMG_49862.jpg

IMG_49832.jpg

That's better; we always have a few that say they didn't get a copy, so this is for them.

If I recall correctly, wasn't the date for completion supposed to be in November?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, wasn't the date for completion supposed to be in November?

They're planing to show it at the LA Auto show. -- Nov 17 - 19 -- are press and trade days
That means time for some testing, real good cleanup, transport from Livonia, MI to LA, set up the day before (Nov 16?)
So other than teasers, full unveiling will be Nov 17

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, this 'our' speculative expectation based on the 20week flow and the type of show venues at that date. We're expecting either a showing of the P5 or at least some PR news by then.
They said the unveiling was going to be at the LA Auto show in November. It starts for the press on he 17th.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
There may be a bit less direct tire noise due to having a larger air gap, but the structure borne noise is no different. There's also likely to be a bit of extra wind noise from the exposed suspension components. Besides, even if the Elio was completely silent, I'd want to add sound insulation to cut down on noise from outside traffic.
Drill small holes in the area where the noise migrates in and pump in expanding foam insulation.
Windows are the biggest area for noise; if you have an advanced glass shop in your area, have then make you double or triple thick glass.
Or go to a place that makes armor cars and get bullet proof windows (thick super clear polycarbonate) :becky:

Or do like most other people; turn up a stereo REALLY loud :rockon:

Top Bottom