• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So we can all sit here screaming about the dash, but we are only 3,000+ of the 47,000 that have some type of investment in the Elio.

You're not going to like this, but it's been my observation that there's not but a couple dozen people at most b*tching about the Elgin dash (I'm sure there's a poll somewhere on the forum, but I didn't bother to check). They just do it so incessantly that it seems like everyone on the site hates it. The people that are more or less okay with it, just don't say anything and move on to a different topic. I personally don't think it's the coolest dash I ever seen, but it's waaay down on my list of peeves...which are few. I can adapt to anything, and while I know there's people here that either can't [pick a reason], or don't want to hassle with modifications, I see no issue at this point...But I may change my tune after I get mine as I'll be logging at least 10-12 hours a week staring at it.;)

Edit:

Found the poll, kind of proves my point.

How much extra if at all would you pay for different instruments
Poll closed May 25, 2015.
  1. *
    Nothing. OK as is.
    37 vote(s)
    59.7%

2. Up to $300
    18 vote(s)
    29.0%

3. Up to $600
    5 vote(s)
    8.1%

4. Up to $900
    1 vote(s)
    1.6%

5. Up to $1200
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

6. Over $1200
    1 vote(s)
    1.6%

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Things seemed to be going along pretty well there for a while.
It seems someone wanted to open up the same ol' arguements...
Using the same ol' slanted poll that "proves" nothing...
As validation for an opinion.

...again.

Was the post meant to stir things up?
Don't know, but really don't care.

Even though the post didn't do much to make me believe the statement of...
"The people that are more or less okay with it, just don't say anything and move on to a different topic."...
There's always a chance that in some, or even (dagnabit) in most cases, that the statement's true.
And even though there's really no real way to prove it true or false...
It is a belief and an opinion, so I respect it.

I'm keeping it fair and balanced by presenting the other two polls.
They (lest we forget) go something like this...

(In reverse cronological order)

POLL TWO (Vote For Elgin Dash)...
Love it
16 vote(s)
15.2%
Hate it
55 vote(s)
52.4%
Mixed feelings
23 vote(s)
21.9%
I'm always too wishy-washy to choose
0 vote(s)
0.0%
I don't have an opinion 'cause I don't care
11 vote(s)
10.5%

POLL ONE (Elgin Dash Yes or No?
(
rather substantial numbers beyond "a couple dozen")...
Yes 64 vote(s) 26.0%
No 182 vote(s) 74.0%

With that being said, I'm once again content to continue what I was doing, which was not saying anything and moving on to a different topic.

Though I did positively contribute a few ideas w' links to possible solutions for those people who dislike the Elgin Dash while I was passing by.
In addition to contributing these poll stats for those who may have missed all the fun we had a few months ago.

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
having changed gauge faces on my Mustangs I am sure Elio will be no different Aftermarket can make new face and provide matching needles while reusing the working parts of the cluster
I had wondered about this. Changing to a moving needle and stationary background dial, while using everything else would be much more economical. It may be tedious, but we would be throwing the elgin gauges away so why not try it.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I asked Karnaj a question about how people at the show were reacting to the Elgin dash while he was at the show.
He said, "no one said anything about the dash; they were just raving about the P5 though".

Which is something I was thinking about; we here have had the time to dissect every angle of the Elio more than anyone at an auto show would ever take the time to do; so PE and EM are not hearing the same input about the dash from the general public.
It's not going to be until people start taking delivery that they will have the time to focus on it.
So it won't be until the Elio has been in private hands, and media has more time to concentrate on the "small things" that the real negative feed back about the dash is going to happen.
So we can all sit here screaming about the dash, but we are only 3,000+ of the 47,000 that have some type of investment in the Elio.

If you truly want to get the word to PE and EM something more would have to be done other than all of us sitting here bitching about it.
Best advise is to come up with viable options and do a professional presentation for a reason why to replace it and get that posted in a spot that the general public can see it. I feel that would carry a far stronger message to PE and EM.

Coss said:"So it won't be until the Elio has been in private hands, and media has more time to concentrate on the "small things" that the real negative feed back about the dash is going to happen."

I have said this before too. How is Paul Elio going to feel when the press ad public ridicule the thing he used to commemorate his father. He is not going to feel very good about it.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Naw, I'm not quite buying that one either.
Again, along the lines of Coss's reasoning, the evil press has had more than enough time to take issue with the Elgin already.
I think that the press has a far more critical eye for potential negatives and "flaws" than the mostly already sold event attendees do.
In fact, IMO the press is always on the hunt for this very type of issue.

I may have practiced a bit of isolationism for a few months, but almost all of the news I've seen about EM seems to be positive.
And, like Coss may have inferred in his post, I've not heard a negative peep about the Elgin from the press thus far.

It's hard to believe, but it may be that even if some of the press have wisely looked closely from a potential buyer's perspective...
And had the same thoughts about the Elgin as you and I do, common respect and decency may have prompted them to "wait and see".

Yes, IMO it's horrendous, regardless of how I feel about PE's motivation.
But I can make it look totally different with chump change and hardly any effort.
So call me Alfred E. Newman and deliver my totally amazing $6800 masterpiece.

Last edited:

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You're not going to like this, but it's been my observation that there's not but a couple dozen people at most b*tching about the Elgin dash (I'm sure there's a poll somewhere on the forum, but I didn't bother to check). They just do it so incessantly that it seems like everyone on the site hates it. The people that are more or less okay with it, just don't say anything and move on to a different topic. I personally don't think it's the coolest dash I ever seen, but it's waaay down on my list of peeves...which are few. I can adapt to anything, and while I know there's people here that either can't [pick a reason], or don't want to hassle with modifications, I see no issue at this point...But I may change my tune after I get mine as I'll be logging at least 10-12 hours a week staring at it.;)

Edit:

Found the poll, kind of proves my point.

How much extra if at all would you pay for different instruments
Poll closed May 25, 2015.

Nothing. OK as is.
      37 vote(s)
      59.7%

• Up to $300
      18 vote(s)
      29.0%

• Up to $600
      5 vote(s)
      8.1%

• Up to $900
      1 vote(s)
      1.6%

• Up to $1200
      0 vote(s)
      0.0%

• Over $1200
      1 vote(s)
      1.6%

i'd like this 100 times if I could.

This poll and the poll from Elio Amazed have a total sampling of approximately 300 people of which there is likely overlap. I don't know how many members there are on this forum but I suspect that 300 is far from a majority. There are currently 47533 people that have reserved an elio and who knows how many thousands more have seen it at the tour. The tour team has stated they are not getting the negative feedback and the press isn't complaining either.

Sure, we get it, there are a small number (about 1/2% of the number of people that have reserved) that truly hate the elgin dash and complain ad nauseum across the forum. We heard you several times and I believe we will continue to hear from you. It is a free world and you have a right to your opinion but please don't assume that it is the only correct opinion. The numbers seem to indicate that you a a very small minority.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the Elio has OBD, I don't think I'm going to have that much of a problem.
Just "tint out" the Elgin and reflect a HUD off of the dark plexi-glass or the windshield.

Lots of inexpensive alternatives that don't look all that bad.
View attachment 7642View attachment 7641View attachment 7643

*Click here to see inexpensive HUDs at Amazon

Thanks for the references!
So for about $50 - $60 the problem is addressed without voiding the warranty.
( Cheap is good! )
Now we can let the "professional" writers take it for a test drive say what ever they say.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Alfred E. Newman again.

Don't worry, be happy.
I think there'll be a wide variety of Elgin mods on Youtube within weeks of production.

You're welcome William!

Last edited:
Top Bottom