• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd certainly be satisfied with conventional gauges (instead of 'McGoo') but for ease of installation (when I don't have to do it!) and flexibility of display options, I think I'd be a fan of an LED screen. Probably more to it than I think.... For you that know, do ECMs have the capability to drive a digital display with, say, a USB data/power connector?
[18 minutes later....]
I should have read the later posts...my bad. Many good and seemingly inexpensive options. Perhaps EM won't have to buy many Elgins. They install them at the factory, them remove them with a buyer-selected optional display at the marshaling center and send the Elgin back to the the factory to be installed again, and again... :-)

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I should have read the later posts...my bad. Many good and seemingly inexpensive options. Perhaps EM won't have to buy many Elgins. They install them at the factory, them remove them with a buyer-selected optional display at the marshaling center and send the Elgin back to the the factory to be installed again, and again... :-)

I sure wish that was the case but sadly it isn't .... the process above will be carried out for factory approved options .... there isn't going to be an optional dash so it will have to come from some aftermarket source

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as the seat belt goes, I hope they put a threaded boss into each B pillar with a plastic cap in the one they do not use. Same at the bottom for the seat belt reel. Then the owner could locate it where they need it.
There has been a lot of talk about where to put the seatbelt and everyone locks in on the only mounting points being the B-pillar on the left or right side; how about a different option? Why not build it into the seat? Mercedes did it in a lot of different models; there have been a number of domestic and imports that have used that type of design too; RV's also have seats with the belts built into them.
This way you can have it come over your left shoulder, it won't block the entry way for the passenger, and it's a viable option.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about where to put the seatbelt and everyone locks in on the only mounting points being the B-pillar on the left or right side; how about a different option? Why not build it into the seat? Mercedes did it in a lot of different models; there have been a number of domestic and imports that have used that type of design too; RV's also have seats with the belts built into them.
This way you can have it come over your left shoulder, it won't block the entry way for the passenger, and it's a viable option.
I do know from my av days that the crash forces requirement for this type seat can make the seat and seat mount much more expensive and troublesome. Not certain about FMVSS requirement, but when FAA standards jumped from 9Gs, the solutions became costly. Could go overhead but that's too un-car like (on left-right track...driver decides which side of neck to put it on) and that might mess with sunroof option.

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sure wish that was the case but sadly it isn't .... the process above will be carried out for factory approved options .... there isn't going to be an optional dash so it will have to come from some aftermarket source
Ouch! Seems so un-Elio like. Wish I'd known that when I saw P4 recently...would have commented to Jerome. I liked its gauges.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I do know from my av days that the crash forces requirement for this type seat can make the seat and seat mount much more expensive and troublesome. Not certain about FMVSS requirement, but when FAA standards jumped from 9Gs, the solutions became costly. Could go overhead but that's too un-car like (on left-right track...driver decides which side of neck to put it on) and that might mess with sunroof option.
Don't you remember when they had track systems for the shoulder belts in the late 70's early 80's? When you would open the door, the belt would move from slightly behind the driver/passenger across the opening, and down the A-pillar? They got to the point of dangerous. The in the seat option is not that far of a stretch, and can be done by the seat manufacturer for a minimal cost. In my days of working on cars, moving those seats to other cars was not that difficult.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While I do not like the elgin dash, I have to admit, it will probably make no difference in my driving. I have developed the habit of driving by feel. I do not even look at the tach or speedometer. I drive by the feel of the vehicle. (Not good when driving a Porsche 944 to work and notice hitting a 100 mph.) I drive my vehicles from the 60s and 70s around 55-60 mph automatically because of how they "feel". For me It is mostly aesthetic reasons.

Top Bottom