• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Standard Transmission

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn't mean to imply that only lazy people buy automatics. I have one. I meant to point out that we are becoming less and less physical in our everyday lives. Most of us spend most of our time sitting, I'd bet. Even the great Farmer now spends a LOT of time sitting. Albiet in a tractor. Still, my point was that BECAUSE we are less and less physical on a day by day basis, we expect everything to come easier and easier. I don't want to have to empty coffee grounds (hello, Keurig). I don't want to have to light charcoal (hello gas with electric start). I don't want to have to drive to the resturant (Hello, delivery). Automation comes at a price. It's a price we pay slowly. Progress, I know.
Clutch too much for ya? Automatic
Roll down a window? That's crazy hard - electric
Actually put a key in and turn it? That sounds too difficult.
I'm not against any of this. I like progress and automation and such. But, don't you think there should be a limit?

Driverless car. Will you get one? What if they have a perfect safety record? Are you willing to endanger lives just so you can hold a steering wheel in your drowsy after having to sit upright for so long? I read that the average person doesn't know the three nearest neighbors. Those who do take the time to know their neighbors tend to like them. (I actually read that very statement)

People walk around staring at little screens, they buy coffee at rediculous prices, they don't interact with the world around them. What's the point in that?

Okay. I'm sorry I went down this road. I'm probably just projecting my frustration with what I see around me. Again, sorry. I'll limit my posts to the Elio as they should be on this forum. I kind of broke my own rule here.

lnwlf40

Elio Addict
Reaction score
AMT or manual? Guess I'm still on the fence. I could go either way depending on the final cost of the AMT option and how smoothly it shifts. The ride and drive events will certainly include the AMT, I would assume, so that will have to be the deciding factor. I currently drive a Honda Civic with a CVT. It jerks (ever do slightly) downshifting from second to first at 20 mph, but is not a problem for me. Damn, the waiting is killing me.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not on the fence about transmissions. My will be the AMT. The Elio would not be an option for me without automatic because my wife does not drive a standard transmission and if I want her to go on trips with me it will have to have automatic so she can drive as well. Really isn't any other option for me and I'm sure there are others in the same situation.

Last edited:

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My wife works in a supermarket where she stands for 8+ hours per day, bending, pushing, and lifting. 4 months pregnant she is still the fastest employee in the department. Before the pregnancy she went hiking 3x per week. She is definitely not lazy.
I have tried the times to teach her how to drive a stick. She still can't get it into first gear.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
another view-
there are quite a few long-time bike riders (me 50+) who have/want to give up biking, see the E as an extended expression of individualism. However, age takes it's toll, reflexes, eye hand coordination, vision, hearing, bad knees/backs etc, are messages we must heed. I wasn't gonna go to a 3 wheeler bike as a solution at this time in my life (72), but an enclosed, cool looking, with A/C @ a price lower than my last 4 bikes, was a no brainer for this guy!
BTW, after I sat in it (Jacksonville) sealed the deal- no question for this senior it's a game changer.
If you're in and haven't had the rush of sitting in it, catch up to the tour. Words and pictures are very limiting.

I can also sense, from my experiences that at the other end of the spectrum the "kids" who will purchase one, most will have no idea what that third pedal is for!!, Hey, I even remember a foot button left of the clutch for flicking the lights,
and a starter button near the gas pedal!!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I can also sense, from my experiences that at the other end of the spectrum the "kids" who will purchase one, most will have no idea what that third pedal is for!!, Hey, I even remember a foot button left of the clutch for flicking the lights,
and a starter button near the gas pedal!!

anyone else remember the function of each of the three foot pedals in a Model T

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My wife works in a supermarket where she stands for 8+ hours per day, bending, pushing, and lifting. 4 months pregnant she is still the fastest employee in the department. Before the pregnancy she went hiking 3x per week. She is definitely not lazy.
I have tried the times to teach her how to drive a stick. She still can't get it into first gear.
God bless the woman for trying, after all that stuff she has to go through. :D

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think-(Lol)
right was the brake
middle reverse
left Clutch/shifter??

good memory .... right was the brake .... it tightened a band in the transmission to slow the vehicle down .... all in all, better than nothing but not very effective .... the hand brake was cable connected to the rear tires, no brakes on the front tires .... it was also linked to the transmission shifter so that when the hand brake was released the Model T jumped directly into high gear

the left pedal .... when it was all the way out you were in high gear .... all the way in was low gear .... half way was neutral ...

the middle pedal was reverse ... to put it into reverse you had to depress the left pedal half way and then step on the middle pedal

Top Bottom