• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Standard Transmission

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The transmission is the factory option...It is part of the vehicles core value package. I cant see anything without an automatic having any mass market success today.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The transmission is the factory option...It is part of the vehicles core value package. I cant see anything without an automatic having any mass market success today.
In theory, at least, Elio could charge $2,000 for the automaticand be able to offer a good low price on the manual knowing very few will opt for the manual. America has just gotten too lazy to be involved in the driving process any more. A lifetime of poor fitness/health/diet decisions contributes a great deal to people's unwillingness to press an extra pedal and move their arms a bit.

Elio wants to sell a lot of these cars so they'll probably try to keep the automatic manual as cheap of an option as possible. They could do that by "raising" the price of the manual transmission to the point where it doesn't matter so much. Let me give an example.

Assumption: Elio found a way to sell the cars at $6,800 and be profitable.
They found that the automatic transmission will cost $1,500 ($8,300 total). They know that people will balk and not buy the car at all. "I'm not paying $1,500 for a transmission upgrade!"
So, they "raise" the base price of the Elio to $7,800 instead. "Sorry, everybody. We tried to get the price down." Now, those people are saying "$500 for a transmission upgrade is okay. I'll buy one."

Now, the math works out that the AMT guys are still paying $8,300 but feel better about it. The standard transmission guys are now subsidizing the AMT to the tune of $1,000 but since they aren't aware of that, they don't know to complain. So, they are now paying $7,800 for a car - $1,000 more than they should be paying just because most of America can't be bothered with operating a clutch.

This same way of financing works on so many things... Insurance? Yup. Taxes? Yup. (I have to support all the welfare people and the sick, lame, lazy.)

But, even though I love manual transmissions, I have to admit that Autos are nice. They've come a long way from my '65 Mustang's C-4 transmission (which was behind the 351W engine that someone stuffed in there). Truth be told, with all the computer wizardry, autos are faster, more fuel efficient, and more likely to never have to be removed for the life of the vehicle. Clutches in manuals DO go out or at least they used to.

And that, is my long post of the day... maybe week... Whatever.

This rant was not intended to be about or against the original poster but merely served as a vehicle for my dismay at the direction we are headed...

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In theory, at least, Elio could charge $2,000 for the automaticand be able to offer a good low price on the manual knowing very few will opt for the manual. America has just gotten too lazy to be involved in the driving process any more. A lifetime of poor fitness/health/diet decisions contributes a great deal to people's unwillingness to press an extra pedal and move their arms a bit.

Elio wants to sell a lot of these cars so they'll probably try to keep the automatic manual as cheap of an option as possible. They could do that by "raising" the price of the manual transmission to the point where it doesn't matter so much. Let me give an example.

Assumption: Elio found a way to sell the cars at $6,800 and be profitable.
They found that the automatic transmission will cost $1,500 ($8,300 total). They know that people will balk and not buy the car at all. "I'm not paying $1,500 for a transmission upgrade!"
So, they "raise" the base price of the Elio to $7,800 instead. "Sorry, everybody. We tried to get the price down." Now, those people are saying "$500 for a transmission upgrade is okay. I'll buy one."

Now, the math works out that the AMT guys are still paying $8,300 but feel better about it. The standard transmission guys are now subsidizing the AMT to the tune of $1,000 but since they aren't aware of that, they don't know to complain. So, they are now paying $7,800 for a car - $1,000 more than they should be paying just because most of America can't be bothered with operating a clutch.

This same way of financing works on so many things... Insurance? Yup. Taxes? Yup. (I have to support all the welfare people and the sick, lame, lazy.)

But, even though I love manual transmissions, I have to admit that Autos are nice. They've come a long way from my '65 Mustang's C-4 transmission (which was behind the 351W engine that someone stuffed in there). Truth be told, with all the computer wizardry, autos are faster, more fuel efficient, and more likely to never have to be removed for the life of the vehicle. Clutches in manuals DO go out or at least they used to.

And that, is my long post of the day... maybe week... Whatever.

This rant was not intended to be about or against the original poster but merely served as a vehicle for my dismay at the direction we are headed...
Manual vs automatic, I don't think, has anything to do with laziness! For someone that drives two hours a day in what is usually bumper-to-bumper traffic, I will choose the automatic. I don't think that's being lazy. If I'm in traffic, I'd like to be able to take a sip of my Dew now and again.Plus not have to be pounding my foot like I'm in a hoedown for an hour.
Maybe that's lazy...

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think Elio will have a high amount of manual sales initially over time I think it will drop as it becomes more mass market. I would be interested to see what % of people chose AMT vs MT in the initial orders. I wouldn't be surprised if it was near a 50/50 split. I would only take a AMT if it provided Ferrari like gear changes. I know that wont be happening so ill do the heal and toe shuffle.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The world changes. Change is the only constant we have. We no longer have a crank to start the engines. No lever or dial to change the ignition timing for the driver. Oil get pumped automatically no requirement to remember to do that as you drive. The list goes on. Ferrari has not built a car with a manual transmission in years. Porsche sell more automatics than manuals. My son would have never driven a car without fuel injection had his dad not been such a PITA. Do we miss asking the operator to connect us to BR5-1212 on the party line? Skills we learned are hard to give up as no longer relevant. Things like getting a clean erase on the drawing board would give so much satisfaction. What you talking about boy...

My favorite car has roll up windows, a stick shift and no ABS or traction control. What I drive to work each day shifts itself has power windows heated seats and the entire alphabet of electronic safety features. When the weather is better the bike has the manual gearbox but the electronic stuff is quite welcome. There is a level of involvement you get with a true manual that is lost with the computer controlled stuff. The feeling of accomplishment when you get it right. The crash or blown motor when you get it wrong.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think Elio will have a high amount of manual sales initially over time I think it will drop as it becomes more mass market. I would be interested to see what % of people chose AMT vs MT in the initial orders. I wouldn't be surprised if it was near a 50/50 split. I would only take a AMT if it provided Ferrari like gear changes. I know that wont be happening so ill do the heal and toe shuffle.

call it lazy if your like, that generalization holds no validity for me ..... we will be one of the folks ordering ours with an AMT .... without an AMT we will not buy an Elio .... I've driven straight drive vehicles for hundreds of thousands of miles and even without having knee surgery, I have zero interest in ever owning another .... for me that's a personal preference

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
call it lazy if your like, that generalization holds no validity for me ..... we will be one of the folks ordering ours with an AMT .... without an AMT we will not buy an Elio .... I've driven straight drive vehicles for hundreds of thousands of miles and even without having knee surgery, I have zero interest in ever owning another .... for me that's a personal preference

Not calling it lazy. I understand we each choose what works best for our uses. I am not opposed to AMT's just I had a real good experience with a F430 F1 years ago that i really liked. I know Elio wont have a AMT as capable as the F430 so manual shift is good for me plus its cheaper. It appeals to the cheap ass in me.

Top Bottom