• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The little picture, upper left is probably close to what mine will look like; every tech gadget in the world you can squeeze into the cockpit area.
I will do a better job of layout and hiding the wiring, and no pink steering wheel!!

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What condition are the cam bearings at 250k miles? There are no cam bearings. It is a steal camshaft spinning in aluminum made of the head and valve cover. Would these two pieces (head and valve cover) have to be bolted together, line bored, and half bearing inserts installed?

Perhaps this is no problem. How is this done in other vehicles? I know this was common in old motorcycles which usually did not accumulate 250K miles. What is the Gold Wing cam bearing configuration? I understand these are suppose to last many miles.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a 57 Plymouth Savoy, that handled great (sway bars!), as far as tire wear, I've had the same tires on my beetle for like 12 years now,and I beat it like a rented mule, and they look NEW (ok the drive tire is warn down a bit from hole shots), but considering how light the Elio is, I am guessing dry-rot before I wear the tires down.
I had a car once with "Panhard rods" as vital suspension members in the rear. But I never knew what a Panhard rod was. Anybody in the know? Panhard was a French auto, once upon a time.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What condition are the cam bearings at 250k miles? There are no cam bearings. It is a steal camshaft spinning in aluminum made of the head and valve cover. Would these two pieces (head and valve cover) have to be bolted together, line bored, and half bearing inserts installed?

Perhaps this is no problem. How is this done in other vehicles? I know this was common in old motorcycles which usually did not accumulate 250K miles. What is the Gold Wing cam bearing configuration? I understand these are suppose to last many miles.

If I remember this, cam sits between the head and the "valve cover" which is bolted on. Two piece bearings make a lot of sense. I remember rebuilding the engine in one of my old Austin Healeys. You had to line insert the cam bearings and use a special ream to fit them. Impossible without the tool. The two piece bearing makes a lot of sense.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Goldwings have no cam bearings, never have. The cam bearing issue really is no issue unless you do something really stupid. If you use good quality oil and filter and change them regularly you'll probably have valve guide and or valve seat problems long before any cam bearing issue. That will be many hundreds of thousands of miles down the road. There very well may be some problems with this engine but cam bearings won't be one of them.

Top Bottom